Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 247>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CheeryOh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeryOh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:20pm
I've completed four days of the regimen and my hair is soft and less tangled.  I can even wash out my clay rinse without sectioning my hair which wouldn't have happened before.

My hair clumps some, but it looks like I have two different textures.  The top half of my hair has zig zags and some S shape and the bottom half is more tightly coiled.  Is that normal?  Also, when I finish the clay rinse my hair seems to dry very quickly and the overall frizz on my head is pretty significant.  I'm still trying to get a good ratio for the leave-in.  I use homemade flaxseed gel.  It's very thick and I'm working on trying to get even distribution over each section.  Wash and gos are still not developing so I just twist up.  I started layering oil with the gel to see if that will change anything.  I use a modified Nap85 combo of olive, jojoba, castor, sweet almond, avocado oils, vitamin e and then some drops of argan and baobab oil.

I'm still going to continue on with the regimen, I just wanted to check in to see if it seems like I'm on track.  If anyone has any thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

Everyone, having issues with the site so I created a FACEBOOK PAGE

https://www.facebook.com/maxhydrationmethod/

Would LOVE if you posted your photos and progress on the page :)

Great, Udo! Big smile

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

I went back and added my comment with no links and it showed up, I added some of my pictures as well. Actually that is a great idea, for everyone on this forum who has pictures you can blur your face if you like. Please go add your comment or testimonial tell them to google/youtube max hydration then add one before picture and one after picture.

Yes i saw it and liked it.
Thumbs Up

Edited by pinkecube - Jun 10 2014 at 10:21pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by CheeryOh CheeryOh wrote:

I've completed four days of the regimen and my hair is soft and less tangled.  I can even wash out my clay rinse without sectioning my hair which wouldn't have happened before.

My hair clumps some, but it looks like I have two different textures.  The top half of my hair has zig zags and some S shape and the bottom half is more tightly coiled.  Is that normal?  Also, when I finish the clay rinse my hair seems to dry very quickly and the overall frizz on my head is pretty significant.  I'm still trying to get a good ratio for the leave-in.  I use homemade flaxseed gel.  It's very thick and I'm working on trying to get even distribution over each section.  Wash and gos are still not developing so I just twist up.  I started layering oil with the gel to see if that will change anything.  I use a modified Nap85 combo of olive, jojoba, castor, sweet almond, avocado oils, vitamin e and then some drops of argan and baobab oil.

I'm still going to continue on with the regimen, I just wanted to check in to see if it seems like I'm on track.  If anyone has any thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Hi Cherry Oh. Yep, that's normal, Those textures have always been there, they have just been overwhelmed by kink so u didn't see it. Almost everyone has mixed textures on their head.

One thing i've started doing after the bentonite step is applying the watered down leave in conditioner over all over my head first before sectioning, focusing on the roots with the applicator tip, and just smoothing and scrunching it in. This gives time for conditioner to really absorb, and then i section and go on my head again with layering more leave in before the gel. In the leave in step i let excess water drip off my hair. try 1-2 tablespoons in 8 oz of water. I like that oil blend.Smile

Good to hear your progress!
waveyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waveyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 10:27am
The method is working really well for me, so i really what is understand the how and why. So I can modify the method once I reach Max hydration. 

I was read up on using baking soda in hair and eveything i found said it is very bad to use baking soda in hair! I read that baking soda is very alkaline. The process of increasing your hair PH like that will make it soft and manageable by "cause the disulfide bonds between keratin protein molecules to break down and can eventually dissolve the protein"! Which is what a relaxer does! I hope I'm not putting my hair though a similar chemical process as a relaxer daily?
I'm really worried about what I'm reading about baking soda and roller coasting the hairs PH like this method does. My hair is becoming very soft and manageable but is this a homemade texlax?

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by waveyrus waveyrus wrote:

The method is working really well for me, so i really what is understand the how and why. So I can modify the method once I reach Max hydration. 

I was read up on using baking soda in hair and eveything i found said it is very bad to use baking soda in hair! I read that baking soda is very alkaline. The process of increasing your hair PH like that will make it soft and manageable by "cause the disulfide bonds between keratin protein molecules to break down and can eventually dissolve the protein"! Which is what a relaxer does! I hope I'm not putting my hair though a similar chemical process as a relaxer daily?
I'm really worried about what I'm reading about baking soda and roller coasting the hairs PH like this method does. My hair is becoming very soft and manageable but is this a homemade texlax?

Woah, woah, woah. Not this question again. That is absolutely, 100% misinformation. That is not how this method works AT ALL. It is not a texlax, that is a myth... sigh, okay i'm gonna edit this later with links where i explained this in detail, again. I'll be right back because i'm in the middle of typing 3 other things right now.
waveyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waveyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 10:52am
this video explains the step of a relaxer and the increasing and decreasing of PH. The steps of using a chemical that is very alkaline to break the bond of the hair, then condition it, then neutral it again is the SAME process of the Max hydration method! are we doing a very mild weak relaxer? Please help I'm freaking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lMauJ9-jUE
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 10:59am

this video explains the step of a relaxer and the increasing and decreasing of PH. The steps of using a chemical that is very alkaline to break the bond of the hair, then condition it, then neutral it again is the SAME process of the Max hydration method! are we doing a very mild weak relaxer? Please help I'm freaking out.
Hi Waveyrus. This question has been answered in previous pages. But I will paste it again because this question was asked in one of my videos as well Both I and Pinke have qn.
My question is about the constant use of baking soda. I read somewhere that the granular texture of it can damage the cuticle layer. Is it suggested to use it sparingly once maximum hydration is reached?

The bakingsoda step is not going to have that effect on the hair. Baking soda first dissolves completely in these mixtures as it is veeerry water soluble. Not only will it dissolve almost instantly from the water and conditioner added to the mixture, but the conditioner would further add lubrication. So the mixture done in this method will never cause damage to the cuticle or be abraisve on the hair. 

Bakingsoda only has that granular texture when mixed with a 3:1 ratio of bakingsoda to water, creating a paste. That is the same kind of paste used for exfoliation. But this mixture is not a paste at all. It's 1-2 tablespoons in about 2-3 oz of conditioner and maybe 7 oz of water. Huge difference, the bakingsoda would completely dissolve.

There are also several natural products that contain salt, like magnesium salt for example. which also has a much more granular texture. Yet these to not damage the cuticle layer, because salt is water soluble. So no you don't have to worry about the bakingsoda at all, and i would encourage continuing the full regimen just the way it is forever, even after reaching max hydration. There's no need to change it because it isn't risky, it's very beneficial.

Even on the box for bakingsoda, they recommend mixing it into your shampoo. So as long as the mixture is done right like suggested in the method, (1-2 tablespoons of baking soda into thick 1.5-3 oz conditioner. Add 4-7 oz of water. Shake.) there is nothing to be afraid of.

Please do more research on the use of baking soda on our hair. The Ph of a lye relaxer is 12-14, baking soda is 9 Baking soda is not natural it is man made and the Ph is not safe for the hair shaft. Check out the greenbeauty Channel here on YouTube for more information.

Sorry, but this is complete misinformation.Bakingsoda is safe for the hair shaft, let me address all the common concerns about use of baking soda.

1. The one used in this mixture is not abrasive on the hair, as it dissolves completely. We are not making a paste on our hair, we are mixing about an ounce of conditioner and then 8 oz of water some products even have magnesium sulfate in them and it is waaay more abrasive in it's solid state. But because they are completely dissolved in the water, that doesn't have an abrasive impact in those mixtures either.

2. It even says on the box to mix it in shampoos, which can be way more stripping than bakingsoda, and the mixture used is definetly not stripping, and bakingsoda is a safe ph for the hair.

4. The use of bakingsoda, is also gotten from the book "hair care rehab", written by the author of the book the science of black hair. And even her mixture is a bit more stripping(just bakingsoda and water). This woman(who wrote the book) is also a scientist/chemist.

5. Lastly the ph of baking soda doesn't effect the hair shaft other than to lift and close the hair cuticle, which for the purposes of this method is highly beneficial to do before deep conditioning, especially for low porosity hair. Also in regards to that, it is scientifically proven and written in studies, that phs of 4-9 not to effect the hair shaft other than to lift or close the cuticle. This is well researched stuff, not randomly put in. i have read several scientific studies and you can look at naturalhaven.com as well to debonk the, "bakingsoda relaxer" myth.

6. It will not break the bonds of the hair, it will not change the curl pattern, and it will not strip the hair. period. If the ph of the bakingsoda mixture was a problem, many ppl with high ph in their tap water would have permanent hair damage, bentonite clay rinses would dissolve the hair, and some conditioners(including trader joes tea tree tingle and more) that arent ph balance for the hair, would also dissolve the hair. Relaxers have a ph of 10-14, and it's not the ph alone that makes it delipatory, that would be the hydroxides and other lye related chemicals that have a chemical structure that dissolves hair proteins.

Above was Pinke's response

This is my response below:

Baking soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate. It comes from soda ash, which can be produced synthetically or harvested from natural sources. This means it exists as natural deposits in the earth as a mineral known as trona or natron. To get it into powder form, soda ash, mined in the form of the ore trona, is dissolved in water and treated with carbon dioxide. Sodium bicarbonate precipitates into a solid form during this method this is what we call Baking Soda.

As far as the PH not being safe for the hair, I have heard this argument before. I have in the past watched kimmaytube's take on this, I have also watched the videos you mentioned from green beauty channel 

+PinkeCarrot above has brought pretty good arguments why this is not the case. Some things to understand is Baking Soda will not break the bonds of the hair. It will lift the cuticles to allow more moisture to get in which is the case in Low porosity hair.

Many naturals who are Low porosity including myself and danabnaturals is another good example, have seen first hand experience in our hair being able to absorb more moisture as a result of incorporating Baking Soda into our regimens. Even aketafitgirl who has attained maximum hydration, incorporates some of the methods in this regimen, she uses baking soda as part of her regimen every 6 weeks.

Some people think that their hair has a looser curl pattern when using baking soda because unfortunately they have never seen their hair moisturized before. Therefore they mistake moisturized hair for a looser curl pattern and think the baking soda has loosened their curl pattern. Although it does lift the cuticle, we close it back in and bring the ph of the hair back, by the end of the regimen. 

Another concern is the abrasive nature of baking soda.In this regimen we make sure it dissolves in water and conditioner vs the original baking soda and water only mixture which is commonly used. This mixture has actually been recommended by Audrey S the author of Black Hair Rehab and the Science of Black hair who happens to also be a chemist and scientist.

I  was once fear mongered into not using baking soda on my hair. However, I have done my research and now I have first hand experience that it hasn't caused any detrimental effect on my own Type 4 Low Porosity hair.

Ultimately it is up to each one of us to do our individual research and choose what or what not to do to our hair. I am sharing and documenting what has been beneficial to me and others, in hopes to helping others with the same issues, I have had with my hair.

That is why this regimen has options, if you do not want to use the baking soda option on your hair you can choose to use the ACV option.

The PH of clay is also 9, does this mean that clay is bad for our hair? Ly relaxer also breaks the protein bonds of the hair, therefore there are other factors than just the PH of the relaxer that causes the straightening effect it has on our hair.

Here is the recipe that we use in this regimen:

Mix 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda into thick 1.5-3 oz conditioner.
Add 4-7 oz of water. 

A great video to watch on this is from Elle of Quest for the perfect curl 

To read more on baking soda and natural hair you can go here:
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/search?q=baking+soda

Edited by msdeekay - Jun 11 2014 at 11:02am
waveyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waveyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 11:01am
Ok but is this right?

Step 1 Use baking soda mix to clarify hair and lift cuticles. mix is a PH of 9-10 very Alkaline
Step 2 Deep condition hair to add moisture to now opened cuticles
step 3 Use mud mix further cleans the hair and close cuticles
Step 4 add conditioner leave
Step 5 add gel for styling

Relaxer steps
Step 1 add very Alkaline Ph 10 cream to hair to open cuticles and break the bonds of hair.
Step 2 Smooth hair
Step 3 Raise relaxer out of the hair and bring PH back down and close cuticles
Step 4 shampoo with neutralizer to bring the PH back down and further cleans 
step 5 Deep condition

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 11:12am

Ok but is this right?

Step 1 Use baking soda mix to clarify hair and lift cuticles. mix is a PH of 9-10 very Alkaline
Step 2 Deep condition hair to add moisture to now opened cuticles
step 3 Use mud mix further cleans the hair and close cuticles
Step 4 add conditioner leave
Step 5 add gel for styling

Relaxer steps
Step 1 add very Alkaline Ph 10 cream to hair to open cuticles and break the bonds of hair.
Step 2 Smooth hair
Step 3 Raise relaxer out of the hair and bring PH back down and close cuticles
Step 4 shampoo with neutralizer to bring the PH back down and further cleans 
step 5 Deep condition

Read this, those myths been debunked. Also bakingsoda, sodium bicarbonate, has a ph of 8-9. Anyone telling you it has a ph of 10 is spreading blatant misinfo.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10890969.html?KW=bakingsoda+relax#10890969

Read page 81 to know the difference between this method, and a texturizer.
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page81.html?KW=bakingsoda+relax

Here is a little side info, before you read the links. This method does not loosen the curl pattern. It gets rid of kinks that are caused by lack of moisture retention. These kinks are what cause our curls to be nonuniform. No amount of "curl loosening" or "bond breaking" used in relaxers or texturizers or keratin treatments would ever create uniform curls.  This is because relaxers do not actually get rid of kinks. They loosen the curl pattern, but your hair is still kinky.

Those curls/coils/zigzags, you are seeing have ALWAYS been there, this method uses moisture to create that effect. This is the same kind of mindset that has some ppl being brainwashed that deep conditioning is bad.

msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 11:15am
This is another response from Pinke about this topic on another page:

Someone keeps trolling all over videos being made about the method that bakingsoda relaxes the hair... 
ConfusedSleepy This is really frustrating, i hope ppl read for themselves instead of being chased away by these types of misinformists. Me and msdeekay took the time to give her very detailed comments, only for her to ignore this information and continue spamming. 

The research has already been done on this, real chemists already say ph of 4-9 doesn't do anything to change the hair. The only "chemical reaction" is the lifting and closing of the cuticle, and it is a permanent as the effects of putting warm/hot water and cold water on your hair. The clay treatments used in this regimen, also have a ph of 9. So dirt can relax our hair now? Once you rinse it out and make measures to close the cuticle, that's it. The hair's proteins have a natural resistance to being dissolved by phs in this range. It will not happen, period. Bakingsoda is not a relaxer, it does not change the hair texture, and it does not dissolve the cuticle. Period.

The use of bakingsoda, is also gotten from the book "hair care rehab", written by the author of the book the science of black hair. And even her mixture is a bit more stripping(just bakingsoda and water). This woman(who wrote the book) is also a scientist/chemist.

Experiment done on hair using bakingsoda.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/11/myth-or-fact-baking-soda-relaxer.html

Direct quote below:

"From my experiment using my baking soda (Sainsbury's brand if you are interested), there was no 'relaxing' of the curl.  I think it matters that the baking soda I used had some corn starch in it (all the ones on the shelf did too). Its pH was 7-8 (as measured by me). Some people report that pure baking soda should have a pH of 9. Relaxers have a pH of 10-14. I do think people should know that the pH of the relaxer is important towards relaxing hair but more important is the ability to break the bonds of the hair. In short, I do not think that baking soda can break bonds. I think much like thecoconut lime relaxer, some people are confusing moisturized hair with relaxed hair."

Sodium bicarbonate, aka, baking soda has a ph of 8.4. Relaxers have a ph of 10-14. The ingredient that does this is the high levels sodium hydroxide, and/or other hydroxides. The hydroxides are what makes relaxers depilatory, including lye free.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bases-ph-d_402.html

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/en/ph.pdf
"In addition, solutions of pH 10–12.5 have been reported to cause hair fibres to swell."
I don't see anything here saying phs of 8-9(bakingsoda's ph range) swelling hair fibers and dissolving hair. 

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/06/investigation-does-ph-affect-your-hair.html

"There are two authoritative studies on this with pretty similar results. There is very little change to hair structure between the pH ranges of 4 to 9Hair protein resists changes due to acid or base."

" Hair does not absorb noticeable amounts of acid or base between pH 4-10" ( J Soc Cosmet Chem, pp 393-405, 1981)
"The cuticle separation distance is within the same range between pH 4 -9" (J Invest Dermatol 105: pp96-99, 1995)

Last lets compare a video of texturized hair, to what max hydrated hair looks like:

texturized type 4 hair:

It did not give her a curl pattern it gave her looser strands and some straight  strands. Her hair isn't moisturized looking, no curls are really popping, because it's still as kinky as before. relaxers don't effect kinks, they effect curl pattern:

The max hydration method on my hair.

My curls are just as tight. they just are less kinky and look healthy, strong, and hydrated, because of moisture retention in my hair's cortex, so you see a pattern. It is not loosened, it is able to clump because of moisture retention.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 247>