Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 192>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 9:53pm
Sugabanana, let's try to analyse these products

Kinky Curly Curling Custard = drying
 Botanical infusion of water, horsetail, Chamomile, nettle and Marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocoperyl acetate (vitamin e), pectin, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance.

Camille Rose = not drying (but not as soft as when wet)
(leave in)
Distilled Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Linum Usitatissmum (Flax Seed) Oil, Shea Butter Glycerides, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Seed) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea), Cannabis Sativa (Hemp Seed) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower Seed) Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam Seed) Oil, Ceteareth 20, Phenoxyethanol and Carylyl Glycol (Optphen ND), Aloe Ferox Powder, Marshmallow Root, Yucca Root, Blue Cohosh, Scent and Love.
(deep conditioner)

Ionized water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Water), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower Seed) Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm Kernel) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa Seed) Butter, Argania Spinosa (Argan Kernel) Oil, Heliantus Annuus (Sunflower Seed) Oil, Prunus Amygdulus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Hydrogenated Vegetal Oil, Tiare (Gardenia Tahitensis) Flower, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba Seed) Oil, Althaea Officianalis (Marshmallow Root) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle Leaf) Extract, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Scent and Love.

(and for me) Creme of Nature Argan Oil Edge Control = drying, but curls pop
Aqua (Water) (Eau), Ceteareth-25, Propylene Glycol, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Oleth-20, PEG-7Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate 60, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Keratin Amino Acids, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 17200 (Red 33)

Also Sugabanana -- I mixed aloe vera with my edge control and the hair feels softer than without the aloe vera. Try adding aloe vera and see what that does. Got the idea from Kimmay tube since she always emphasizes pH

Edited by kwicherbichen - Mar 17 2014 at 10:21pm
Sponsored Links

msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 8:32am
Hi Pinke,

Thanks so much for sharing your method and for the in depth explanation of it. I'm super excited that I stumbled upon this because just a week ago I had found rachelcpr's method and was going to give it a try. I'm slowly reading both your posts and catching up on the videos you mentioned.

My background, I'm currently 9 months post big chop (I consider myself mostly 4c with a little of 4b somewhere in there) I sometimes get some curl definition in the middle and back of my hair but after sometime it just frizzes up. It can only be seen when my hair is wet and has conditioner on it or some products when I smooth them in.

I've been natural for about 5 years now. Never did wash and gos because I thought they were not for me never did twist out or bantu knot outs because I never liked them so I mostly wore my hair in updos and stretched out styles, until when I big chopped last year. I started cowashing my hair daily because it just felt like my hair needed the water plus I loved the feeling of water on my scalp and hair every day. At six months I started complaining about dryness and then I found out about low porosity and realized that most of those issues were exactly what was going on with my hair.

So for the past 3 weeks my hair has grown out (I had been doing the GHE method for at least 3 days of the week) and now I'm at the point where my hair has grown out so it gets tangled and matted so from what I've read from other naturals and online I was like ok its time to stop daily cowashing coz this is the cause and it doesn't work for my hair.

Then I stumbled upon rachelcprs videos and method and I was going to give it a try and then today I found your method. 

So here are my questions, I live outside of US, we dont have most of the products that you mention in case of the gel. So is it ok to use Aloe Vera Gel ( I've seen this in local health stores here)

When it comes to deep conditioners does it matter what you use.
I have seen the Dabur Vatika deep conditioners, TRESemm√© Restructuring Deep Conditioning Treatment Masque( the tresseme line) and Jason Line. Are these considered Botanical/CG Friendly?

I have a blog and YT channel and I plan to document this method on both. When I do I will come back here and share my links so you lovely ladies can see my progress :)
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 11:06am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

yes its so true. So I did the whole 5 step program and then used Miss Jessies products and I could feel my hair drying while rubbing it in on my head. Samething with the KCCC. So far the Camille Rose stuff I used kept my hair soft for hours.

Yes, I wouldn't use miss Jessie's products. I'm assuming you are talking about the Miss Jessy's Jelly soft curl or the pillow soft curls gel, right? The original leave in also contains denatured alcohol, which is drying. The two gels both contain hydrolyzed wheat protein, which low po hair tends to hate.

As for The camille naturals, what's the exact name on the bottle? I tried looking up camille naturals leave in and they have different results. I want to know which one exactly you are using so i can see the ingredients.

Are you using a gel at all? As for the kccc making you hair feel "dry" do you mean as you are applying it, you are not feeling slip? That could mean you are not using enough. If you are talking about your hair feeling crunchy after it dries, don't worry that is just the feeling of the cast. It wears off for the most part by the second day and even more by the third day, and your hair will actually feel really soft, so that is proof that the feeling is just the cast, and it's not drying out your hair.

Try to experiment with how you apply the gel, so u can get the amount right in practice. For the most part you should really be saturating you hair in conditioner, enough so your fingers can really detangle through your hair.  Also layering a little olive oil before the gel may help give you a softer feeling on the first day as well, but the feeling of softness is really superficial, it's still sealing in moisture, and your curls will spring back when you pull them taut.

It's the aloe vera in the gel creates the cast. I don't think it's drying, but some people find it feels crunchy. The camille leave in (is it the coconut one?) doesn't contain aloe, that could be the reason the hold feels softer, but if it doesn't have good hold, I'd worry the moisture isn't being sealed in properly. cast can feel crunchy on the first day, but that doesn't necessarily mean your hair is dry. Just like applying oils on your hair can make it feel superficially soft, but the moisture isn't usually sealed in well enough and doesn't retain throughout the day. Just do the solutions above and the crunch feeling will go away. You hair will be soft but still have the cast needed to properly seal in the moisture.

I'm gonna include this in the FAQ, but since this was a specific question about products I decided to answer it ahead.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 18 2014 at 11:07am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Hi Pinke,

Thanks so much for sharing your method and for the in depth explanation of it. I'm super excited that I stumbled upon this because just a week ago I had found rachelcpr's method and was going to give it a try. I'm slowly reading both your posts and catching up on the videos you mentioned.

My background, I'm currently 9 months post big chop (I consider myself mostly 4c with a little of 4b somewhere in there) I sometimes get some curl definition in the middle and back of my hair but after sometime it just frizzes up. It can only be seen when my hair is wet and has conditioner on it or some products when I smooth them in.

I've been natural for about 5 years now. Never did wash and gos because I thought they were not for me never did twist out or bantu knot outs because I never liked them so I mostly wore my hair in updos and stretched out styles, until when I big chopped last year. I started cowashing my hair daily because it just felt like my hair needed the water plus I loved the feeling of water on my scalp and hair every day. At six months I started complaining about dryness and then I found out about low porosity and realized that most of those issues were exactly what was going on with my hair.

So for the past 3 weeks my hair has grown out (I had been doing the GHE method for at least 3 days of the week) and now I'm at the point where my hair has grown out so it gets tangled and matted so from what I've read from other naturals and online I was like ok its time to stop daily cowashing coz this is the cause and it doesn't work for my hair.

Then I stumbled upon rachelcprs videos and method and I was going to give it a try and then today I found your method. 

So here are my questions, I live outside of US, we dont have most of the products that you mention in case of the gel. So is it ok to use Aloe Vera Gel ( I've seen this in local health stores here)

When it comes to deep conditioners does it matter what you use.
I have seen the Dabur Vatika deep conditioners, TRESemm√© Restructuring Deep Conditioning Treatment Masque( the tresseme line) and Jason Line. Are these considered Botanical/CG Friendly?

I have a blog and YT channel and I plan to document this method on both. When I do I will come back here and share my links so you lovely ladies can see my progress :)

When it comes to deep conditioning, you don't really have to use a product specifically for deep conditioning. any conditioner will have the same effect (As long as it doesn't have sulfates, silicones, glycerin, parabens, etc). don't think you have to go out and by 3 different conditioners as your co-wash, leave in, and deep conditioner. It isn't necessary, just one good botanical conditioner will do the job fine. some recommendations are Trader Joes teatree tingle, Tresseme naturals radience, Kinky curly knot today. there should be others, just google them and research the ingredients on the store website.

The idea w/ DC is to just use a conditioner and let the heat of your scalp open up your cuticles so your hair can absorb it. doing a baking soda rinse right before increases the effectiveness, since that removes build up that gets in the way of moisture absorption, and lifts the cuticle. You can also do acv rinse, they also lift product off the hair. It does close the cuticle, but once you dc your cuticle will open right up again from the heat.

I wouldn't recommend products that have silicones, protein(at least not at the top of the list), glycerin, sulfates, parabens, or anything with dangerous ingredients. Because of that I wouldn't recommend the vatika conditioner. It has a really toxic ingredient that you don't want to absorb into your scalp. When you do choose a product, look at the ingredients, and do research on the ingredients. As for the gels, many of them can be purchased online, (just google the name, a lot of them are on etsy.com) or even made by hand, like with flaxseed gel.

When it comes to this method, the products you use really matter; you can't just put any ingredient in your hair. These are one of the major things that steal moisture from our hair, aside from not re-hydrating hair enough, product residue and build up, and ph.

That's awesome that you have a youtube account, definitely share your experience so we can spread this.Smile

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 18 2014 at 11:41am
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 4:04pm
btw which "option" are yall using?
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 1:35pm
Thanks so much for the detailed explanation makes sense. I just finished reading writing notes and watching all the videos you included in the previous post and I have gone through this whole post as well. I had another question in Step 3 The Bentonite Clay Rinse in option 2 it says do option 1 plus add ACV but you don't mention how much to add. 

So it looks like I will have to order most of these ingredients online so that will take me at least a week before I can start experimenting in the mean time I will continue to do GHE every single night and heating my conditioner. Today after I did my GHE I noticed a few more curls popping up in some parts of my hair that were not there. This gives me confidence that they are in there just hiding under the chronic dryness.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 2:09pm
Those Vatika conditioners and oils have Mineral oil as the 1st ingredient.
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 6:51pm
So gel is a better sealant than oil? Who knew...where did this "gel is bad for your hair" stuff come from??
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

So gel is a better sealant than oil? Who knew...where did this "gel is bad for your hair" stuff come from??

The ingredients in a lot of regular gels are drying. Like ecostyler gel dries out and hardens my hair causing build up, flakes & breakage. Kinky curly is a natural gel & is moisturizing.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

exactly what journey said... thanks journey
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 192>