Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 296>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by Cottony Curls Cottony Curls wrote:

Hello everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful information posted about the maximum hydration method. I have been faithfully following the maximum hydration method for the last 2 weeks and am happy with my progress so far. I also wanted to give a shout out to anyone to keep an eye out and  please visit The Natural Haven's Maximum Hydration article. There are readers still asking questions and I don't want to give the wrong information. One reader lamented how the MHM was an epic fail for her. Also, concerns about the maximum hydration method also popped up on the Baking Soda and ACV article posted on BGLH . There's a lot of misinformation floating around and I'd hate to see this method get sucked up in there with that.
Hi cottony curls.Smile Welcome to MHM I'm glad you are liking your progressBig smile Thanks for the heads up, yes i've seen some of the comments.

Well I think if that user really tried the method, she would have come to the forum and asked questions. Tried to figure out if she was doing something wrong or making any short cuts, or expecting instantaneous results. Many ppl that have had issues have come here to ask questions to find out they aren't using the right product, doing something out of order, or need to tweak one little thing like making sure their hair is soaking wet. So I think if she actually tried it she would have reached out so we could determine. I think she already decided for herself the results she expected, instead of being open minded about it. That is what this post is for she knows where it is if she has tried the method.

We already know about Bakingsoda and Acv relaxing, and it's false info. That can be found on natural haven's site and more info as well on this post.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10900034.html?KW=Bakingsoda+granular#10900034

People are going to have to be reeducated, and not fall for the folklore. There are even things saying moisturizing your hair can damage the hair, so ppl seem to be taking things to the extreme and making broad generalizations and jumping to conclusions with them. That is the purpose of this, so the more challenge the better, as they are not bringing anything new or factual to the table, ppl will believe what makes the most sense.

I also saw another post which i'll address too. imo, Ppl seem to think type 4 hair is high porosity, due to the whole low porosity equals shine thing. when really, that is determined by how many kinks your hair has, not directly by your porosity. Many people do strand tests and are protein sensitive, and basically their hair falls in line with low porosity. If our hair was high porosity, we would absorb the moisture just fine, be done because our sealing in the moisture would be just enough for us to get max hydration doing what most of us have been doing. If our hair didn't have problems absorbing moisture-- because that is what porosity determines, your ability to absorb moisture-- our hair would not turn so white when we apply conditioner, our hair would not feel dry as if we never applied product even when we moisturize our hair and seal it in.

I just wanted to add my thoughts to this. I know that there are lurkers so this is addressed to them. If someone is experiencing difficulties with this regimen please reach out to either Pinke or myself, if you are not comfortable posting here on the forum. We have had people reach out to us through different spaces either email, PM, youtube, facebook etc. We are very accessible and usually get back to you really fast. I also have a troubleshooting the regimen faq on my blog. 

I believe this person already had their mind made up about it and wasn't open to following the regimen through. They probably did something wrong along the way hence the results were a fail. But why not reach out and ask for help though?

Another thing I want to add, even though most people see an improvement right away, to get the full benefits of the regimen you need to be accurate, frequent and consistent. 

I believe both aketafitgirl and danabnaturals who are a huge inspiration to this regimen were doing techniques in this regimen for at least 6 months before their hair reached full max hydration. Danab actually does her hair everyday according to one of her videos.
Therefore people need to be patient, this is not a magic pill. The regimen's purpose is to build moisture over time. Especially if your hair was chronically dry before, it will take some time before the moisture conditions are restored.

I did see that ACV and Baking Soda article and I just want to shout out to Juan_mos who tagged me in the instagram debate over the issue. Here is my take on it. If you read the article she actually said that the hair strand she used was coated with oil. Now in the instance of this regimen we do not use oils on a regular basis. The ACV and Baking soda serves to clarify build up from gel and conditioner from previous styling. 
Secondly this regimen  has a 3 step clarification process 1. ACV/Baking Soda 2. Cowashing 3. Clay rinse
I think after all these steps its safe to say that whatever build up we have from the leave in and gel will be clarified.
Third we stay away from products with ingredients that cause build up and prevent the hair from absorbing moisture in the first place. I think the ACV and Baking soda is more effective in this instance.
This is just my own 2 cents on the issue, but Pinke I would love for you to chime in and give a thorough explanation on these concerns.

Hi Dee, just going to paste what i wrote onthe issue from july 4th. Cosign, everything you said btw.

"With MHM the bakingsoda and acv step is better for lifting off gel residue from the hair. I know it does a good job of that, I have even had my hair feeling stripped doing it with only bakingsoda and water.

But heavy butters are not really going to be removed as well by these steps. Especially with bakingsoda, it is a salt. And just like when people go to the pool and the beach and apply a heavy butter to their hair to protect their strands from being stripped by the chlorine salt and sea salt, heavy oils tend to be resistant to removal using a bs rinse.

Ultimately your hair is going to get clean with the regimen, hence why it is so effective.  What with the clarifying step, the cowash step, and the clay step, your hair will be clean by the end of the regimen. And the acv and B.S. steps will serve well to clean off the gel, before the cowash step. Plus the added bonus of B.S. lifting the cuticle. And btw, the clay step is very effective in cleaning the hair according to one of naturalhaven's other article's as well. I think there was a link to her review of clay rinses on that same post on acv"

Sponsored Links

NoleWoman04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoleWoman04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 6:52pm
Today is my first attempt at the MHM. It's the end of the day and parts of my hair is still really wet. I used the KCKT gel. Is there any other gel on the list that I can use without having wet hair all day?Some areas of my hair has not absorbed the gel. I did not use a lot of gel either.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 6:53pm

Originally posted by <span style=font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15.454545021057129px; line-height: 19.09090805053711px; : rgb251, 251, 253;>ysadoralacquers</span> ysadoralacquers wrote:

I have been pretty discouraged with this program.  It has been so time consuming for me.  The first day I spent about 6 hours doing steps 1-5.  I didn't do the CL because I did one the previous week before starting MHM.  Day 3 went a little faster but I ended up ruining an awesome manicure - and yes I wore gloves.  Still didn't help.  Sucks when part of my job is having awesome nails.  All my caviar beads popped off and I chipped 2 nails.  By day 3 I had noticed little progress in the form of moisture and reduced shrinkage.  I was ready to give up.  But I committed myself to 7 days....  MY hair is extremely low po and dense.  My hair shrinks about 70-80% and is super dry.  I pretty much relied on humectants like glycerin, leave-in and heavy oils like castor and coconut.  I have had pretty good coil definition with these products and using twist outs.  But there was still dryness and shrinkage.  So today is day 4 and I think I see progress.  Shrinkage is not as bad and dry looking.  More defined coils. It still feels dry though, like I need some oil.  But I may be overly dependent on oils so I will hold out.  It has a lot of sheen, which is great.  Check out my progress below. Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

Hi ysadoralacquers welcome to the MHM family, glad that you are giving this a try and thanks for sharing your pictures and progress. I honestly think that the results everyone gets with this regimen vary depending on the condition of their hair prior to starting. This doesnt mean the regimen won't work it just means that it may be faster or slower for some. But I do see some improvement based on your pictures and I do believe that it will get better for you as your hair absorbs and retains more moisture. 
I noticed on the day 3 picture you said that your hair was towel dried. Have you been drying your hair after the clay step? If you have I highly suggest that you keep your hair soaking wet at this step if possible when under the shower after you rinse out the clay pour the conditioner over your hair and then proceed to step 4 and 5 with super wet hair. If your hair dries while you are doing these last two steps use a spray bottle to wet it back again. It's very important for the hair to be super wet for you to get the best results.
I have noticed a lot of people just starting experience either the dryness or crunchiness. You can buffer the gel with oil to help this. In my own experience this condition goes away the more you do the regimen.
I think you are doing a great job! I can see the curl definition on day 4 wet. Stay encouraged, the progress may seem slow but it's coming.
I just wanted to add, have you tried splitting the regimen into a morning and night routine to save time?

Hi ysadoralacquers, welcome to the MHM journey Smile Glad you stuck it through and thanks for sharing your progress and experience. You are making great progress. Cosign on everything Dee said. I know Dee mentioned it, but one thing I noticed was you said you dried your hair after the clay step. It's highly encouraged that you keep your hair soaking wet, especially when applying the clay step, and rinsing out the clay step. Your hair might have taken awhile depending on how dry your hair was when you started out, and if you had any build up, like from the coconut oil or something, that takes awhile to get cleaned out of your hair so it can start absorbing moisture properly. Keep it up, you are doing great. Now that you've seen your first significant sign of progress, or gotten past that "stage", take it as it will get better and better from here on. Big smileSorry about your nails, btw. Maybe there is some kind of waterproof clear top coat that you can use. I don't have much suggestions in regard to that, but there are my 2 cents if that can help a little.

Originally posted by </span><span style=font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15.454545021057129px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 19.09090805053711px; : rgb251, 251, 253;>Ethomas137</span><span style=font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;> Ethomas137 wrote:

Hey All,
I have followed Ms. Deekay and others and have started the MHM. I did all steps cherry lola thru 5 the first day and steps 1 thru 5 the second.  The first day I saw pretty nice curl definition, however the 2nd day wasn't as good even though I used the same products.  also I'm having a hell of a time detangling my hair still! I see from other posts that folks are easily gliding their fingers thru their hair, Im wondering if I should try my conditioner ( trader joe's) full strength in order to not loose so much hair. I'm doing the 7 day challange so tonight i will be on day 3. I have also been doing the acv rinse instead of the bs rinse. My hair on day 2 seemed to be more frizzy. 

my products include, acv,bentonite clay/rausool clay mix, trader joe's tea tree tingle conditioner, and homemade flaxseed/marshmallow root gel (rachel cpr recipe).
Thanks for any and all help.

Hi Ethomas137, welcome to the MHM family, excited to hear that you have just started, thanks for sharing your progress. For the detangling part, I would suggest to try doing it in the shower under running water if possible. I have found that to make it so much easier. As you keep doing the regimen and as the hair gets more detangled, the process should get easier.
I'm not sure what may have gone wrong but perhaps the baking soda may be a better option for you. Can you try alternating the ACV and Baking soda to see how your hair responds to each version. 

Hi Ethomas, Good to have you joining in-- welcome to this MHM journey! WinkThanks for sharing your experience with the first two days. Keep it up, Adding to what Dee said if you want you can try use the full strength trader joes to detangle just until it starts getting easier. But it will definitely help to detangle under running water if you can. If you DC overnight, there are stretching options as well. I also believe that it's important to really take your time to thoroughly detangle when you first start. I think many of us have shed hair build up from spacing out our wash sessions so far, and thats why when they try to finally wet their hair, they have difficulty detangling because of dealing with shrinkage plus build up of shed hairs. So really take the time to get all the sheds out so you aren't dealing with any old sheds and after that it will be alot easier because you will then be preventing the problem.

Adding to what Dee said, I think you should take your better reaction with the cherry lola(which is a higher ph) vs ACV that your hair may respond better to the bakingsoda option. On page 127 there's an alternate BS mixture that'll help you save conditioner as well. So I would try to experiment with the BS rinse next and compare whether my experience is better. You may even choose to alternate between both rinses.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by NoleWoman04 NoleWoman04 wrote:

Today is my first attempt at the MHM. It's the end of the day and parts of my hair is still really wet. I used the KCKT gel. Is there any other gel on the list that I can use without having wet hair all day?Some areas of my hair has not absorbed the gel. I did not use a lot of gel either.

Hi, NoleWoman glad you have you trying MHM. Welcome to the journey! Smile Your hair being wet is more about having low porosity hair than about the gel. The gel is not really going t absorb into your hair, but I get what you are saying. A suggestion I have is when you apply your conditioner, make sure to slide out the excess, and after you apply your gel, shake your hair a lot. You can also diffuse your hair on cool. But other than diffusing, your hair is going to be wet for at least 5 hours if you have low porosity hair. As you do the regimen it will get better, from where you are at, so your hair isn't wet at night. Especially when you are starting out, hair being wet for extremely long at first is pretty normal too.
Kurly Kizzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Kurly Kizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 7:13pm
Hi Pinke, 
     I am convinced that I've NEVER seen my natural hair moisturized!!! My hair has changed dramatically!!!! I had started to get scared because it has changed sooooooo dramatically within such a SHORT period of time! (did my 5th regimen yesterday.)I started doing research on BS and then thought about the clay, they are virtually the same in PH. But I was only concerned about the BS because I already knew that clay was GREAT for your hair, so if the clay is ok then the BS has to be as well, in terms of PH. Wheeeeeww glad to see your answers as well as MsDee, Natural Haven (I ran across her article when I was researching) and Audrey Sivasothy. Which both ladies you spoke about in your reply 

Anyhoo, my questions:

1A. The MHM can make your hair LOOK like the curl pattern has changed? (I think yes, but what do you say?)

1B. ( BTW underneath the brillo pad of hair I HAD, my hair was very Coily, I have very little coils now, they are mostly curls and seemingly waves in some areas.....)
This is ok though, right?

2. How can it be possible that I had NO IDEA of what my true hair looked like?????? lolololLOL

3. (I said before, 2 applications ago,  that it looked like my 4A hair maybe wasn't 4A because of the moisture that your regimen imparted on my hair.... )

What does MOISTURIZED 3C/4A hair look like?

NoleWoman04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NoleWoman04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 7:19pm
Thanks so much for your quick response!Smile
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Kurly Kizzie Kurly Kizzie wrote:

Hi Pinke, 
     I am convinced that I've NEVER seen my natural hair moisturized!!! My hair has changed dramatically!!!! I had started to get scared because it has changed sooooooo dramatically within such a SHORT period of time! (did my 5th regimen yesterday.)I started doing research on BS and then thought about the clay, they are virtually the same in PH. But I was only concerned about the BS because I already knew that clay was GREAT for your hair, so if the clay is ok then the BS has to be as well, in terms of PH. Wheeeeeww glad to see your answers as well as MsDee, Natural Haven (I ran across her article when I was researching) and Audrey Sivasothy. Which both ladies you spoke about in your reply 

Anyhoo, my questions:

1A. The MHM can make your hair LOOK like the curl pattern has changed? (I think yes, but what do you say?)

1B. ( BTW underneath the brillo pad of hair I HAD, my hair was very Coily, I have very little coils now, they are mostly curls and seemingly waves in some areas.....)
This is ok though, right?

2. How can it be possible that I had NO IDEA of what my true hair looked like?????? lolololLOL

3. (I said before, 2 applications ago,  that it looked like my 4A hair maybe wasn't 4A because of the moisture that your regimen imparted on my hair.... )

What does MOISTURIZED 3C/4A hair look like?

Hi Kurly Kizzie, your progress sounds like it's coming along great! Glad you are seeing significant signs of moisture retention, thanks for sharing the update!

1A. Well, many people don't know that they even have a curl pattern, so all of a sudden revealing it, it can look like it changed because they have never seen it in it's hydrated state. It also should be said that how your hair reacts with product, it will be easier to weigh down. Your hair coils may look less compact with the gel than when it's shrunken, plus your hair can clump into bigger sections both when your hair is more hydrated or when you have product.

1B. Of course, your true curl pattern is coming through. Moisture retention can make your hair clump into bigger sections. You can still separate the clump into thinner sections and allow it to fully shrink, you will see the size of the coil is not what has changed as much as the ability of your hair to clump into bigger sections.

2. How would you be able to tell through the frizz? Do you think I thought my product free hair would look like this:
Product free wet hair right after clay rinse, with #maxhydrationmethod

When my wash and goes used to look like this?

Lol, so it's crazy how moisture can transform our hair! I know when I GHE'd for 24 hours a day, 3 months straight, for a bald spot, which by the way was a 4c area I could never get to clump, it grew out of my scalp clumping from root to tip, aka max hydration. So moisture really is what causes us not to see a definable curl pattern. But it's there. I have some 4a at my nape that would always initially look defined with heavy product and then by the time it shrink, it would lose definition. It would also just flop down, giving me an afro mullet.

3. I think this user has 3c 4a hair, so you can use her for a visual on that type:

Kurly Kizzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kurly Kizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 7:53pm
Pinke, 

There it is!!!!!! I AM PURELY AND UTTERLY AMAZED @ THIS REGIMEN!!!!!! I am so glad you are so accessible for questions. I will be posting pics soon, YYYYAAAAAAAThumbs Up

Thanks, PinkeSmile 
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Kurly Kizzie Kurly Kizzie wrote:

Pinke, 

There it is!!!!!! I AM PURELY AND UTTERLY AMAZED @ THIS REGIMEN!!!!!! I am so glad you are so accessible for questions. I will be posting pics soon, YYYYAAAAAAAThumbs Up

Thanks, PinkeSmile 
You're welcome! Big smile looking forward to the pics of your progress!
AmberColour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmberColour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 9:02pm
Just checking in with my transition to Maximum Hydration.
I started on Monday of last week July 7th and I was not able to do the 7 day challenge due to time restraints, but I will give a run through of the products and what I did each day.

Monday July 7th - I did the Cherry Lola treatment & I DC'd overnight
Tuesday July 8th - I finished all the steps.
Wednesday July 9th - I finished all the steps.
Thursday July 10th - I'm not sure what happened here. I can't remember.
Friday July 11th - I only used conditioner
Saturday 12th - I didn't have time.
Sunday 13th - I didn't have time.

Today, Monday July 14th - Starting the full routine again, and I'm hoping this week goes a lot better!

The products I used are the Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume & The approved Giovanni Gel.
I bought one bottle of TREsemme conditioner since it was the last one, and two things of gel.
This gel was okay. I'd like to try the other approved gels besides the Kinky Curly one, for that one was way out my money's comfort zone. 

I do really like this conditioner! It's so thick, and the idea to water it down is phenomenal! 

I haven't really noticed much difference in my hair, other than it being able to be detangled much easier. 
I'm going to continue this method, and check back in.

I snapped a few pics as I could, and I'll upload when I can!

Oh, one other thing I do want to add. It seemed I needed a lot of gel to define my hair, and seeing how there's only about 8 ounces in the bottle I am almost out of the first one. So, I preferred the conditioner only as a leave-in product.

Hopefully, I'll have time to attempt to make my own flax seed gel to see how I like that.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 296>
  Share Topic