BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

the light skinned struggle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 16 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:01am

I think that is one reason he chose Michelle

isn't that why he went to chicago in the first place?

Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:07am
Yes he specifically wanted to work in the black community.  Was he trolling for womenz too?LOL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:24am

lol possibly
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Why do you have to see yourself as "black first" and why can't you view yourself as other things while also view being black as also important.  I don't think it's all mutually exclusive.

I mean you can but it seems like our history (and current status) in America makes this unattainable w/o a lot of hard work.   Barrack Obama even knows he's black first even if he has to act like he's a politician first or a lawyer first, etc.  They be reminding us every single day and we are taught at home from the start about what it means in order to counteract the negative sh*t that goes along with it. 

I do get this.  I've just seen the sentiment "black first" used as a way to invalidate experiences of someone they just happen to not agree with.  Case in point, I've heard some black men disregarded black women's experiences with sexism.  The only thing you're allowed to acknowledge with people who think like that is that you're black.  The consequence is these people can be as obnoxious as they want to other black people about anything they don't want that black person doing...but it's okay cause we're all black.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:27am

I don't think I have experienced that

but only as of late have I really spoke out against sexism tbh
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Its sad its even a struggle imagined or real. 

My lack of empathy just got a eyeroll, It is sad since a high amount of stories shared involved close family members , It is horrible that a grandmother, sibling, or parent would make a child feel inferior  based on the color of their skin. The people you would think would love you unconditionally. 

Yeah and sometimes the "struggle" is imagined when they ain't "light" to begin with. I wasn't implying that it doesn't happen. I have family members who would date a unemployed Shemar Moore looking guy over a dark skin man all day and it will never make a lick of sense to me .

mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I don't think I have experienced that

but only as of late have I really spoke out against sexism tbh

Congrats to you for having black males around you who are in touch with reality.LOL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:53am

lol is that it?

I don't like playing the oppression olympics so I don't even try to state my experience as a black woman is worse

I also think the people I have mentioned unfair wages and unfair maternity leave policies to recognize that is something women deal with and it really isn't their place to speak on why I should get over it

I'm sure I will run across some men like that, I know they are out there and I'm pretty sure I will end the conversation when that happens

not that I don't like different opinions but like I said I'm not about to have a depressing ass discussion about who has it worse

Edited by SamoneLenior - Mar 27 2014 at 10:54am
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:08am
Oh geesh people .. all she's got to do is leave America .. and NOONE would care one way or another! DUH!

Ya'll gotta get exposed to the outside world where this kind of stuff is on the bottom of the list of 'things to worry about in life'.

Everytime I try to tell one of my European friends about this color problem .. they don't believe me! They think I make this stuff up.
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 11:08am
For me it went Jamaican, black, middle class, girl. 

*Titanagraph ALERT*

For in my country we are classist and colourists above all. But it all really stems from the same racism, a closeness to eurocentric standards of beauty and the ecomonic advantage, social standing they have but we dont want to be YT. Negro elitism is high around these parts. Them (bhuttu, ghetto, uneducated ratchet, poor people) vs Us (decent , educated, hard working, middle class)

Our Colour descriptors are "fair" "high coloured" "black" and "brown" but this brown includes mixed race complexion - medium dark it's not always easily identifiable which "browning" the gentleman is referring to. Light skin = indicator of social class and beauty. For while its about 90% afro-descendants, the upper class does not reflect this. And this is put in our faces everyday all day. the aristocracy and the powerfully connected last names are Jamaican YT, Lebanese, Syrian, Indian, Chinese mixed race etc etc

I'm going to say definiately there is no light skinned struggle here light skin is praised and desired not shunned or they dont hear they are not black enough or any of that, hell everyone even Buju Banton wants "a browning". But there is a HUGE dark skinned struggle. TBH we dont speak about it colourism, we hide from this and refuse to address the imbalace in the society it only to comes up when bleaching is the topic of the day. 

Society tells us told "anything black (or too black) nuh good" and this phrase is a oft repeated one. Hell 3 weeks ago my friend said yes im dark (Black Opal Beautiful Bronze) but him blaccccccckkkkkkk. I kept asking whats wrong with being dark but she said but him dark like midnight, till him shine, he's "blurple" SMDH no one else said a word to her then the convo changed to Lupita and how pretty she is SMMFH

Once, not  too long ago you if you were not "brown and pretty" you could not 1) be on tv- news anchor 2) be an air hostess 3) work as a teller in the bank 4) win a beauty pageant (even now IMO) Hell even now the people on Page 2 (society pages) are mostly "high coloured" non-black, the bigger daily newspaper includes more black per inch but still it's the brownings and their family and friends

You can hear "nice nice browing' : brown and pretty' RAATID just last week a textbook for Primary school kids came under MAJOR fire for describing a girl as "she has long hair, a straight nose, she is brown, she is pretty" MERCY [to our credit it is a Trinidadian book AND not on the Min. of Education's required textbook list]

And amongst the poor and uhmm 'ratchet' social mobility is linked to be "brown" or "high coloured" and this leads many to bleach. They are not denying that they are black, far from it but they want to get a job, a mate, to be seen as attractive (then we have those who do it because it is trendy) etc etc They rich do it too but that's more accepted, chemical peeling all they way to a whole 'nother person.

I find that we have a plethora of advertisments with a dark 4B male partnered with a mixed "brown" chick and i side eye them daily.

There's is a long running series of plays which are centred around a character in black face. A sea of black faces pay cash to laugh at this dark skinned, coarse haired, missing teeth, big redde lipped woman, and it sells out daily. *face palm* I swear! The last time i mentioned her WF asked if it can be blackface if the actor is black and i said hell yes! Interestingly not even 2 days after the post there was an article in the paper about that same coon.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>