Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

the light skinned struggle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 16 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:38am
I have to say for the most part I think men do too.  How can they not in a world where it is clearly indicated to them on a daily basis?  Its deeply down in there for all of us. Self-Denial can't even squelch  that. 

ETA: @ Simone - they lyin'

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Mar 27 2014 at 8:39am
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:44am
@ Samone last line - Coonin'LOL
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:45am
I knew I was black before I knew I was a man

mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:49am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

yeah I was kind of shocked when I read what nons wrote

I think the black men I know see themselves as black first

but I understand why it may be the opposite for others

This is why I said that response was interesting. lol

The black men in my life are always making anything and everything about race which frankly does get exhausting sometimes.  The men tend to do this more than the women which actually bring on it's own set of problems. Ermm

In what ways does one prove that they are "black first."  Why do you have to see yourself as "black first" and why can't you view yourself as other things while also view being black as also important.  I don't think it's all mutually exclusive.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 8:55am
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Why do you have to see yourself as "black first" and why can't you view yourself as other things while also view being black as also important.  I don't think it's all mutually exclusive.

I mean you can but it seems like our history (and current status) in America makes this unattainable w/o a lot of hard work.   Barrack Obama even knows he's black first even if he has to act like he's a politician first or a lawyer first, etc.  They be reminding us every single day and we are taught at home from the start about what it means in order to counteract the negative sh*t that goes along with it. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:00am
On the subject of the light skin struggle I know I'm not the only person who wondered if Barack was so attracted to ds women because he internalized some of the issues associated with being a mixed race light skinned black man (I think he's brown though).  Was he craving the roots of his Kenyan father more so than the roots of his yt mother and grandparents.  I don't know for sure of course but I wondered about it.   He reminds me of my brother and how he used to absolutely adore very chocolate women.  My mother hated that. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:07am
Yes he specifically wanted to work in the black community.  Was he trolling for womenz too?LOL
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Why do you have to see yourself as "black first" and why can't you view yourself as other things while also view being black as also important.  I don't think it's all mutually exclusive.

I mean you can but it seems like our history (and current status) in America makes this unattainable w/o a lot of hard work.   Barrack Obama even knows he's black first even if he has to act like he's a politician first or a lawyer first, etc.  They be reminding us every single day and we are taught at home from the start about what it means in order to counteract the negative sh*t that goes along with it. 

I do get this.  I've just seen the sentiment "black first" used as a way to invalidate experiences of someone they just happen to not agree with.  Case in point, I've heard some black men disregarded black women's experiences with sexism.  The only thing you're allowed to acknowledge with people who think like that is that you're black.  The consequence is these people can be as obnoxious as they want to other black people about anything they don't want that black person doing...but it's okay cause we're all black.
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Its sad its even a struggle imagined or real. 

My lack of empathy just got a eyeroll, It is sad since a high amount of stories shared involved close family members , It is horrible that a grandmother, sibling, or parent would make a child feel inferior  based on the color of their skin. The people you would think would love you unconditionally. 

Yeah and sometimes the "struggle" is imagined when they ain't "light" to begin with. I wasn't implying that it doesn't happen. I have family members who would date a unemployed Shemar Moore looking guy over a dark skin man all day and it will never make a lick of sense to me .

mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I don't think I have experienced that

but only as of late have I really spoke out against sexism tbh

Congrats to you for having black males around you who are in touch with reality.LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic