Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

the light skinned struggle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 26>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 16 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Its the same way with guys…The scale is smaller though.
Society just puts less pressure on our looks and more pressure on our earning potential.

And toughness.  My brother was extreme with his hostility as a young boy/man.  He wanted niccahs to KNOW he wasn't soft.  They thought he was because he was damn near white with "good" hair. 
Sponsored Links

Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:33pm
Kfoxx... My brother has the opposite experience and he has a mild complex in his youth about his complexion.
People would get all cross eyed when they saw my dark skin brother with a white looking father. Luckily, my parents taught him to love who he was and my grandmother (who was extremely fair herself) showered him with extra attention because she saw how he would get treated and how others were praised in the family because of their lighter skin tones.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Kfoxx... My brother has the opposite experience and he has a mild complex in his youth about his complexion.
People would get all cross eyed when they saw my dark skin brother with a white looking father. Luckily, my parents taught him to love who he was and my grandmother (who was extremely fair herself) showered him with extra attention because she saw how he would get treated and how others were praised in the family because of their lighter skin tones.

Heart your grandmother for this!  I can't tell you how many fair skinned black grandmothers treat their ds grandchildren like nappy headed abominations.  My mother falls into that category unfortunately.  She treated my daughter and my brother's sons with a lot of preference and it made everyone else with darker children resent ours. 

The struggle is real on both sides. 
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Its the same way with guys…The scale is smaller though.
Society just puts less pressure on our looks and more pressure on our earning potential.

And toughness.  My brother was extreme with his hostility as a young boy/man.  He wanted niccahs to KNOW he wasn't soft.  They thought he was because he was damn near white with "good" hair. 

You're right
I guess the scale isn't "smaller"
Its just a different scale.

Edited by OoDles O - Mar 26 2014 at 1:54pm
bubblyboo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblyboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

So the number one problem with light skin is the adoration of coons?
Since coons are also a thorn in the side for those of us who failed the paper bag test, can we all just agree that cooonery is the real problem here?
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Heart your grandmother for this!  I can't tell you how many fair skinned black grandmothers treat their ds grandchildren like nappy headed abominations.  My mother falls into that category unfortunately.  She treated my daughter and my brother's sons with a lot of preference and it made everyone else with darker children resent ours. 

The struggle is real on both sides. 

My grandmother is really light with wavy hair and she's not like that at all. My grandfather is dark and he did seem to favor my cousin who was lightish with curly hair but he also had some family issues so maybe that's why.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i was surprised this girl has 2 black parents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuXj8AfWcDM

Let this would have been the other way around with American people making assumptions about their race. Americans would have been ignorant, uneducated, insensitive and everything else and no one would have shied away from saying it. Maybe she's being gentle cuz a lot of her subscribers are Asian.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:40pm

I don't like the dissmissiveness when light people want to talk about their ish..

This.....it's annoying. 
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:49pm

i don’t consider myself ‘light skinned’ but other people do…

Its like people say it like it’s a compliment or some badge of honor Confused…its quite irritating

i correct them and say no…i’m just brown…like its not that serious Ermm…i’m ok with being brown skinned, i love the color of my skin…

Being light or even white just isn’t that big of a deal to me…i guess because i know ain’t nothing ‘special’ about them either LOL growing up with a side of family that’s mixed race and very light…i seem to have a different perception of what ‘light skin’ is…as my Mom used to say “light, bright and damn near white LOL

IMO light skin is like Tisha Campbell or Lisa Bonet…too many brown people try to claim light skin and they just aren’t…

i have personally witnessed ‘light skin struggles’…some of my folks had to fight (fisticuffs) because of their skin tone or they were turned into some sort of token? (don’t know if that’s the word i really want to use) or their color was turned into their identifier, “oh you know her, lightskin Ann” which gave them attention they didn’t want/seek…for some it pushed them closer to trying to ‘blacken’ their family by marrying darker…others? Ehhhh….let’s just say they are delusional and we let them live LOL

bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 1:50pm

my sister (who I love to death) thought that my parents favored me because i was lighter (my Mom is dark Dad is light)…which wasn’t true! i was just more loving than her LOL i was very affectionate and obedient and loved to be attached at the hip…she wasn’t! i actually envied her growing up because she was a ‘fly girl’, hair was always done, clothes were ‘in style’…she was/is very pretty! We’ve since resolved these issues as adults but it was rough when we were younger…

i think addressing the full scope of colorism is the only way to heal…we can’t just leave it at ‘black men like light skin women’ and not talk about the darker women who have issues with their color and WHY they have issues with their color, light skin women who are on a pedestal that they don’t want to be on, just regla brown people stuck in the middle like me and a whole myriad of issues…its not one sided…

i like this thread but i feel like the lighter people here still won’t fully participate because even saying ‘light skin struggle’ seems wrong LOL…i hope the discussion continues and remains positive

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 26>
  Share Topic