Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The hair game makes me depressed [VENT]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.80  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kiwistardust View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kiwistardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 10:38pm
Human, yak, unicorn, dragon -- so long as they process it to kinky straight/curly and it doesn't tangle - we straight. 

For a reasonable price.

Stern Smile  Judge me.
Sponsored Links

Amillion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Amillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by dani454 dani454 wrote:

Even if this is true, if the hair acts just like human hair (if not better because it'll hold a curl for DAYS), who cares?! LOL Seriously. How does it hurt or ruin your life knowing your hair isn't human hair, but something BETTER?

People shove pink slime in their mouths and swear it's real, natural chicken. And then they'll eat KFC that makes hair grow in your belly and somehow still swear it's pure chicken. And then they'll buy mink coats without knowing how MUCH of that coat is REALLY mink. Or they'll buy a leather sole shoe swearing it's authentic but do they REALLY know that it is? Sh*t, they'll even buy a marble counter ... but do they know it's really marble? There are counterfeit Apple stores all over Asia, and they're so good at faking it that they can't even be shut down because they're that well hidden.

It's all apart of the game, and we're just players... not the creators. I say if it works just as well, if not better than the imitation, I'll take it. Embarrassed 

It doesn't hurt or ruin my life. But I do care if I think I'm purchasing Virgin Russian Fede hair, and it's really processed Dragon Yak.  That is false advertisement, no matter how great the quality of the hair is.

Now addressing quality.  If the hair is packaged as Remy *insert country* hair, and it look, feel and react well....I have no problem purchasing this processed Remy hair.

Edited by Amillion - Oct 19 2012 at 12:06pm
beauty05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote beauty05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 4:54pm
I rarely post, but for this topic I'd like to give my 2 cents. 
There's still authentic virgin hair out there. The problem is that the majority of people don't want to pay for it. That's why lately there's a rise in bootlegged vendor's catering to the demand for "good hair at low prices". Unfortunately, they can't meet the demand because "good hair at low prices" no longer exists (and believe me, they know this). However, poor quality hair at low prices does -- and in abundance. 

Did "good hair at low prices" ever exist?? A few years ago, yes. Nowadays, no. Why? It all comes down to the laws of supply and demand. Demand is much higher now, therefore the prices are much higher. 

Bottom line is this: If you're willing to pay at least $40 - $70 or more per oz (price range depends on the length), you can get authentic virgin hair (I suggest a buying from a reputable vendor (with an emphasis on "reputable") who's been around at least 5-10 years and allows returns/refunds/exchanges if there's legitimate proof that the product doesn't meet reasonable expectations - basically a vendor who has a lot to lose by selling poor quality products).  If you're not willing to pay at least $40 - $70 per oz, it's going to continue to be a crap shoot. Sometimes you might get lucky, most times you won't. If you're ok with frequently losing money on the gamble, then I'd say continue to search for something where the odds of finding it are very low. Hey, you never know, lol. 

The demand for authentic virgin hair is very high and because of this it's very expensive. No vendor is going to sell premium quality hair for low prices when they can get a higher price for it.  

Edited by beauty05 - Oct 19 2012 at 4:57pm
Brooke@RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Brooke@RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 5:54pm

I have a different perspective on this subject (as I work for a hair extensions manufacturer).  I agree that there is an epidemic of Internet based / home based companies springing up at what seems like an alarming rate.  This epidemic actually makes it more difficult for the legitimate companies to make it as these other resellers create pricing wars that drive down the price by using average to below avg product that looks great at first but winds up being crap in the end but leads consumer to believe they can get great quality at low prices.

Problem is there are only a handful of true manufacturers in the world, most companies you see are simply distributors of products manufactured by someone else.  They find a “source” with cheap prices or big promises, purchase from them, place in their own packaging and sell to the public.  They throw words around like “Remy” or “Virgin” or makes claims about being “unprocessed” without understanding these terms themselves, or having the control to ensure that what they are selling is what they say they are selling.  They don’t control the sourcing or manufacturing.

These companies simply have no means of controlling the consistency of the product or truly understanding where the hair came from and how it was manufactured.  Because of this lack of control, they wind up getting batches of bad product that they cannot afford to just throw out, so they sell it or worse yet, they have no idea its bad because it “looks” good to them.

But consumers feed into this hysteria by believing everything that is told to them.  If someone calls hair Virgin and then offers it in a variety of colors, well obviously, it’s not virgin as it has been exposed to some sort of commercial dye.  The hair may still be of great quality, but it simply isn’t virgin.  The consumer assumes that if they are told it’s a great, even if it’s cheap, they assume its good.  What a buyer must understand that this industry is not immune from the statement of: You Get What Your Pay For. 

Does this mean the most expensive product is the always the best?  Absolutely not, nor is buying cheaper hair a bad option, as long as one temper their expectations. 

Bottom line, as a consumer, you MUST educate yourself on what is real and what is fake as far as sources of hair and what does virgin hair truly look like versus processed (even though some lightly processed hair is VERY good hair).  In addition, make the companies you deal with accountable by doing the following:

1.     Call the company, don’t just buy from their website.

2.     Ask as many questions as possible and look to have a conversation with them.  If no one is available to take your call do they get right back to you?

3.     Make sure they are transparent in the information they provide and are willing to discuss every facet of their business. 

The industry is tough on the consumers, but its also tough on the legitimate companies.  Believe it or not, the power is in the consumers’ hands to force companies to change the way they deal with you.

~Brooke

beauty05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beauty05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 6:58pm
I agree with a lot of the above points. 

I agree that expensive isn't always the best, however authentic virgin hair and high quality processed hair is not cheap. It's relatively expensive. 

Yes, buying cheap hair is ok if you temper your expectations, but it seems like the majority have high expectations of cheap hair.  They aren't tempering their expectations to match the low costs.  

Most product based businesses are retailers and not the original manufacturers of the products they're selling. And there's nothing wrong with this. That's why there are more retailers than there are wholesalers/manufacturers. However, although most vendors aren't controlling the manufacturing or sourcing of their hair, there's still a way to control quality. Vendors should test the product thoroughly and for some time before they sell it or buy so much of it that they can't get rid of it in an ethical way. They shouldn't be so hungry to make sales or greedy to make money that they don't verify the legitimacy of their product first.
Amillion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Amillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2012 at 7:15am
Originally posted by beauty05 beauty05 wrote:

I agree with a lot of the above points. 
Vendors should test the product thoroughly and for some time before they sell it or buy so much of it that they can't get rid of it in an ethical way. They shouldn't be so hungry to make sales or greedy to make money that they don't verify the legitimacy of their product first.

This is agree with! 
YOUADOREME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YOUADOREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2013 at 5:06pm
well who is her vendor cause im trying to start my busines off if you dont mind?
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 1:10am
Originally posted by YOUADOREME YOUADOREME wrote:

well who is her vendor cause im trying to start my busines off if you dont mind?

LOL
demilee27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demilee27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 11:12pm
I thnk that the ones that are getting the true virgin, true 100% cut from an actual scalp hair are the hollywood stars becasue they are the ones that can pay thousands of dollars for it. regular folks like us are getting the hair with the fake fibers in it. I saw a website where amerians are selling hteir hair, but for several hundreds and thousands of dollars, if I am going to buy certifiable virgin hair it will be from someone like that. otherwise i will just deal with the semi-fake human hair I get from these vendors for less than $200
sweetcheri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetcheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 4:16pm
Uzbekistan is the latest one I heard the other. LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair