Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

the Genius of Real Husbands of Hollywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pattigurlatl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattigurlatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Genius of Real Husbands of Hollywood
    Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:31pm
I wasn't really big on the idea of the show especially because I didn't think that Kevin Hart was that funny.

But I do believe that he has one upped our currently named "god of cinema" Tyler Perry in one respect.

If you're aware of the consistent propaganda that paints black women as the typical Mammy, Sapphire, Jezebel, and ABW stereotypes then you would surely realize that Kevin Hart has maybe inadvertently done his best to credit black women as individuals outside of that imagery.

I find this to be genius.

For one, he doesn't include women as the main cast except for his agent. He attributes what we've seen as female characteristics as male ones, thus rejecting this idea of the black female cartoon. This is a way of equalizing and humanizing normal human behavior.

The other benefits is hiring people who wouldn't get work in standard Hollywood which is interesting because that includes Robin Thicke...a white man who is in a field that caters to blacks. The fact that he is married to a black woman helps because it shows that his life choice (or perhaps life identity) renders him victim to the same plight as someone who is black even thought he has a namesake in the industry. This in itself is proof that being black or connected to someone black is a "scar" and could negatively impact your life. Even though this is expressed in a comedic sense, it is truly telling.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

Edited by pattigurlatl - Jan 31 2013 at 10:32pm
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:38pm
Well the point of the show is to satirize the whole real housewives franchise. I don't think Kevin himself is setting out to portray black women in a more positive light but either way I've found it hilarious so far.

I do like that the one black female character is the lawyer and they've shown her as a professional who is about her business, which we don't usually see for black female characters.
JasonWllms55 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote JasonWllms55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:41pm
i think your digging deeper than what it really is. 

I like Kevin and all, but i dont think he had any alternative intentions when he created the show, other than $$$$$. 

ps. the show really isnt that funny to me. 

pss. the very 1st episode had Kevin showing up at the birthday party with a half naked Bria Myles and some other chick on his arm. there was also the loud mouthed "baby sitter" who wasnt during her job at the bday party.

then in the last episode Keri Hilson was trynna holla at his assistant just because she thought he was pushing a Porsche. 

so outside of the lawyer, the other images of black women arent that positive, if we keepin it 100. 

Edited by JasonWllms55 - Jan 31 2013 at 10:55pm
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (12) Thanks(12)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

I wasn't really big on the idea of the show especially because I didn't think that Kevin Hart was that funny.

But I do believe that he has one upped our currently named "god of cinema" Tyler Perry in one respect.

If you're aware of the consistent propaganda that paints black women as the typical Mammy, Sapphire, Jezebel, and ABW stereotypes then you would surely realize that Kevin Hart has maybe inadvertently done his best to credit black women as individuals outside of that imagery.

For one, he doesn't include women as the main cast except for his agent. He attributes what we've seen as female characteristics as male ones, thus rejecting this idea of the black female cartoon. This is a way of equalizing and humanizing normal human behavior.

The other benefits is hiring people who wouldn't get work in standard Hollywood which is interesting because that includes Robin Thicke...a white man who is in a field that caters to blacks. The fact that he is married to a black woman helps because it shows that his life choice (or perhaps life identity) renders him victim to the same plight as someone who is black even thought he has a namesake in the industry. This in itself is proof that being black or connected to someone black is a "scar" and could negatively impact your life. Even though this is expressed in a comedic sense, it is truly telling.

soarlikecruz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soarlikecruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:46am
I haven't seen the show yet,... but I did see a clip. I thought this was actually supposed to be a reality show but that one clip (the one of Nelly's workout video) showed me that they're basically making fun of their female counterparts in the Real housewives of ATL/OC/NY etc. I want to watch more of this show
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:13am
i like the show...
Princess_S View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Princess_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
 Patti, Kevin divorced his black wife a while ago and has been dating a young blasian.Ouch

Edited by Princess_S - Feb 01 2013 at 9:23am
Finesseful View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Finesseful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:26am
Kevin Hart isn't even that funny. Another Lil Duval if you ask me.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:27am
it's on BET right? i think that negates whatever positivity you see in this show.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:31am
The funny thing is Patti, I noticed this too about Kevin Hart

but not about his show on BET b/c I've only seen part of 1 episode

But I noticed the unintentional genius of his comedies. Apart from his ABW trope, because unlike you, I do believe he paints black women and girls (like his daughter) with that;  however, I believe his comedies do a great deal of humanizing Black people (Black men, boys, families mainly) in a way that no comic has before (that i know of).

I think if you get caught up in the 'it's just entertainment' aspect of it, you'll miss that. I find this especially important because I feel people are the most open and vulnerable when they're happy and laughing. I don't think we give comics enough credit for how influential they are to the masses
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>