Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The Dream Says ‘Classism is the New Racism’

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dream Says ‘Classism is the New Racism’
    Posted: May 03 2014 at 10:00am

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/05/dream-says-classism-new-racism-right/

The Dream Says ‘Classism is the New Racism,’ Is He Right?

by Britni Danielle — May 2, 2014

Looks like singer The Dream wants to crew up and join Pharrell and the ranks of “the new Black.”

In his latest effort titled “Black,” The Dream aka Terius Nash, ditches his usual playboy anthems to croon a more “conscious” tune about the troubles of the world.

“Black” takes aim at Donald Sterling, Cliven Bundy, gay marriage and host of hot button social issues. The video features provocative images of protests, civil rights heroes like Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X; cultural icons like Nelson Mandela, Harvey Milk; and random shots of unnamed Africans as The Dream croons, “Let’s go home.”

The song is fueled by the chorus, “I’m feeling real Black right now,” which the Huffington Post called “powerful.”

Though the song seems like The Dream’s effort to capitalize on the news cycle and be “deep,” I can’t help but wonder about the timing. “Black” was released just a day before TMZ broke the news that he is wanted by the NYPD for allegedly punching and strangling his girlfriend last April when she was pregnant.

While “Black” isn’t my idea of a great protest anthem, I was ready to let it pass with just an eye roll until the song ended and The Dream drove home his point with the words:

“Black isn’t just a color. Black isn’t just a race anymore. It’s a feeling and a place from which one feels isolated by the world of the governing elite. ‘Classism is the new racism.’ This is what black feels like.”

Uh, no Terius, it’s not.

Though some would like to believe that we’ve moved past racism onto other issues, as both Cliven Bundy and Donald Sterling illustrated this week: racism is the new racism. Always has been and it always will be.

What do you think of The Dream’s “Black”?

Edited by CherryBlossom - May 03 2014 at 10:02am
Sponsored Links

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 10:02am

i need all these faux philosophers to have a seat for a moment

please
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 10:23am
Classism is still the same ol from the beginning of time classism. Racism is still racism. Blacks just deal with both.
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 10:25am
Racism and classism usually go hand in hand if not all the time. So he got it wrong.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 10:54am
ahahaha

this new black nigguh.. getting his nigguh reality check

fucck him
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 11:07am
The images of pride through pain bring on an emotional response so I think the marketing of this is on point however I do believe the new racism is economical or as he puts it "classism"

He using social events for career gain, nothing new.

Edited by Katrenia - May 03 2014 at 11:10am
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 11:08am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Racism and classism usually go hand in hand if not all the time. So he got it wrong.
This is what I was going to say. Plus rich blacks always get a reminder that even if they are in a benz they are still a n.i in a coupe.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 11:10am
Oh Terius, Terius, Terius. doah

This new out and proud tap dancer is an embarrassment to the Black icons he is singing about.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 11:12am
poor tetris thinks his money can buy him out of nigguhdom
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 11:19am

these new blacks are annoying

I wish they would get the education first then make a statement

racism will always be racism and classism will always be classism
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions