Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The Dominican Republic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 7:35pm
Is it the miscegenation aspect JP?
Sponsored Links

decemberdiamond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote decemberdiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 8:18pm
I am a woman who comes from a black american parent and a parent born and raised in the Dominican republic. Being an afro-latina has had many challenges. I've lived in America and in DR and each country has brought its challenges and positives. I'm not dark skin by any means my complexion is dead on with Zoe Saldana. But I have experienced both ends of the spectrum where I am not light enough for the hispanic side and I speak spanish "so I think I'm too good for the blacks side." Growing up in Brooklyn sucked sometimes so much so I spent most of my time with my family uptown in Dyckman where I felt comfortable and accepted. Living in DR my family was divided half accepted me half didn't. I love my roots and I love who I am but I am not defined by how light or dark I am and what language I speak. With all that said I'm taking another trip out to DR in 4 weeks to relax, enjoy the beauty of our beaches and visit with the family I am closest too. Our country has a strong background of following an evil dictator and his ways have set our country back for many years but there is still a lot of love there I do my best to enjoy both sides of my families, I love the US and I love DR.

Edited by decemberdiamond - Jun 18 2014 at 8:18pm
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 8:47pm
i just punched in the google search that i recommended on the previous page and this is one of the threads that came up. very interesting dialogue that should answer some of the questions that have come up. hope this helps someone:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/just-got-into-an-argument-with-this-dominican_topic273118_page1.html

Originally posted by Zupreme Zupreme wrote:

nightjasmine, blackness was pretty much a erased from the dominican consciousness thru-out colonization and instead labels for gradients between indian/white/black were created.....

and then once we the country was finally independent it pretty much stayed under the rule of the white supremacist colonialists that stayed.

then came trujillo and cemented it, as he was hitler status in his hatred for haitians and blacks. since they killed trujillo the country remained under the rule of one of his proteges, so its only in the 90's that the grip of white supremacism began to let go. it hasnt yet. they still run sh*t.

the DR is pretty much the birthplace of modern blackness as we know it. all the "good hair" , "bad hair" bs, the colorism, the tactics used to subjugate, divide and conquer black slaves all over the world, were honed in there 1st and then spread thruout the rest of the americas. unfortch they have been so isolated that it will take several generations to even semi-phaze out.

Edited by NJHairLuv - Jun 18 2014 at 8:50pm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 7:17am
they're niccas who don't wanna be niccas

/end thread
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 8:50am

I try to talk to my husband about this and he always gets so mad

I'll try again later
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 9:49am
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:49am
We don't need them.....next
Majesty02 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majesty02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

When i visited i was treated great. I think if you're an attractive woman, you'll have no issues.LOL

however i also noticed the treatment of the Haitians...if you dark skinned, then you "may" experience some hate...

This, this this  Clap
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:13am
^^^Depends on your definition of attractive. Because their definition of attractive is oftentimes pretty stringent and skin tone based.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 19 2014 at 11:23am
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

^^^Depends on your definition of attractive. Because their definition of attractive is oftentimes pretty stringent.

Yep. I consider these women drop dead gorgeous, but Im pretty sure the DR niccas who dont wanna be niccas most certainly wouldnt agree

Edited by Wildfire - Jun 19 2014 at 11:24am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>