Angkor Cambodian Hair

Forum LockedThe Comb Test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Msmchy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 10:43am
This explains why my uncle and his family, ( very very light skinned blacks), have that mentality...he's in his late 60's and the rest are older so I see now why they are so color struck.

You know some of us still wont go out in the sun like some vampires. You were considered in the higher echelon of the social rungs the lighter your skin was and the striaghter your hair was. Back then not everybody could afford perms routinely.

The lighter skinned blacks were the leaders in the community...they were respected far above others just for their lightness. This is a great book, I encourage everyone to check it out ( Hair Story : Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America) .

Straight hair and light skin = wealthy, educated, worthy. Of course that came from slavery but it was so ingrained in the black community for centuries that it's still a way of thinking for some. Now a days I think naturals are morre commpnly seen in big corporate buisnesses but back then if you were light bright you were right.

The funny thing is, alot of us blacks are so mixed with different nationalities and will never know it, but one major contributor of the light skinned black is rape during slavery and the reconstructive years. We couldn't claim that part of our ancestry because not only was it illegal,  it was shameful to know that your light skin meant someone in your family was the product of violence.

Somehow during the turn of the century, blacks realized the lighter skinned counterparts were treated better and some light skinned blacks even choose to live a life as a white person because they were considered "passing".

Edited by Msmchy - Jul 02 2009 at 10:48am
Sponsored Links

justme32008 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 10:48am
Yep sad but oh so true, society has come a long way but there are still those out there even our youth that still believe all of the craziness.
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 10:52am
The Pencil Test
In the days of racial segregation in Africa, people of mixed races, or those who looked like they were of mixed race were subjected to the penicl test to decide what race they were. A pencil was placed in thier hair, and should it fall through they were classified as white, and were given the priveliges that were assocciated with white people. Should the pencil not fall through thier hair, they were classified as black and treated as such.
r0ck_starr View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 10:59am
Every one of my great uncles except my grandfather passed for white due to them being half irish and having stronger white phenotypes. My grandfather though didn't pass, why?, because his hair was too curly but with the ypting standards of today his hair would have been a 2c/3a and plenty of white people have that hair type but it was just pure racism. Many people in my family only married, (cough) my father's side (cough), because they were lightskinned so that's basically why I'm here because it would have sadly been unacceptable if my mother had been dark but today I don't care about my skin tone I love tanning and wouldn't mind getting darker. And I'm a happy 3c/4a as well nappy and happy :)
Tink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Msmchy Msmchy wrote:

Somehow during the turn of the century, blacks realized the lighter skinned counterparts were treated better and some light skinned blacks even choose to live a life as a white person because they were considered "passing".

The book says that slave owners would pay up to five times as much for lighter skinned blacks. And the white mistress would cut the hair of the girls out of jealousy!
_nappy_x_roots_ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 11:32am
i have only heard of the brown paper bag test..
but honestly.. i would be so out
on a nappy day i can put a pencil in my hair.
i am a brow paper bag or lil darker
i can NOT use a fine tooth comb
but you can see my blue veins.

but all in all.. i wouldnt be going be going to church..
i would fail most the test
_nappy_x_roots_ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 11:35am
ooops dp

Edited by _nappy_x_roots_ - Jul 02 2009 at 11:35am
afronativechick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 11:37am
I've read about that a lot especially when I was doing my research about the black elite. That test was basically used to discriminate, once again because if you had fine hair that wasn't "kinky" you had the "good" genes. It was total and complete b.s. 
thatnyckhick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

KKKK - Karamel Ku Klux Klan

LOL
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by RunninRabbit RunninRabbit wrote:

i guess mayb it wasnt literal, the point was just 'in other words keep your black azz out this church'. 

LOL 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>