Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Clays -Bentonite, Rhassoul, Fuller's Earth etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Clays -Bentonite, Rhassoul, Fuller's Earth etc

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Clays -Bentonite, Rhassoul, Fuller's Earth etc
    Posted: Dec 02 2013 at 7:58am
Anyone who's ever used any type of clay on the hair - step right in!

So, I just started using clays - Kaolin the week before last, and Rhassoul yesterday - and I DC'd with Aussie Moist in the week between.

I'm really liking the results I've got so far, but there's so much I don't know about clays in general. And yes, I've used the search engine.

So if you use, or have ever used any type of clay on your hair, could you pls state which one and how you used it? The things I really want to know are below, but I'm sure there are others questions I haven't thought of.

- How often or little should you use it? I'm thinking of using it once a week
- Does it contain sulfur? I'm thinking of adding onions or garlic to it; would that be too much sulphur?
- If you use Bentonite, do you use Sodium Bentonite or Calcium Bentonite?
- What are you adding to yours?
- Do you DC afterwards?
- Can you use Fuller's earth on your hair? Is it even a clay?!
- Where do you get yours? And are Amazon and eBay good places to buy this kind of stuff?
- Anything else! Others, please chime in if you have any questions. Thumbs Up

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Dec 02 2013 at 8:10am
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2013 at 8:06am
Also, in case you're wondering about the difference between Sodium Bentonite and Calcium Bentonite - here comes the science bit!

Apparently, the Sodium has a strong negative charge which absorbs more toxins. It also swells up much more.  The Calcium has a strong positive charge and a greater capacity to remineralise, (or, to put it simply, to give back valuable nutrients / minerals) to the hair, skin and even bones.

FYI: this link explains the difference between Sodium and Calcium Bentonite. I wanted to try Shoshanna's from the Bulk Herb Store's bentonite, which is a mixture of both. However, although the prices were good, shipping to the UK was high, plus she didn't respond to the queries I sent by email, so I'm looking elsewhere. Anyway here's the link: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Bentonite-Clay-Powder
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2013 at 1:00pm
I've been using bentonite clay (aka aztec healing clay, can be found at whole foods and online) for years, I haven't tried any others (rhassoul, etc).

-I've used it as often as twice a week but sometimes go months without using it.

-I mix it with water or acv. Water if I want a less intense feeling. When mixed with water it really does take on the consistency of clay, though of course that depends on how much water you use. It is also more difficult to rinse out. When mixed with acv it becomes sort of like a mousse or foam, super easy to apply and rinse off. With acv I can really feel my scalp tighten up (same for my face). Either way, if you want it easy to rinse use more liquid and don't let it dry on your hair/scalp.

-Follow with conditioner, usually something thick and oily with no "unnatural" ingredients. I've found that using something with oils after really makes a difference. Aubrey Organics White Camellia is my absolute favorite for this. Oyin Honey Hemp is also great. I only leave my conditioner on for as long as I'm in the shower so about 10 mins.

Edited by maysay1 - Dec 06 2013 at 1:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 1:28pm
@maysay@: thanks for your reply. If bentonite can be used twice a week, hopefully Rhassoul can too, although I'd like to use it only once. My issue now is finding a natural conditioner and moisturiser meets all my needs as I don't know if it removes cones or lanolin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 1:30pm

A couple more things I forgot:

Bentonite, and maybe some of the other types of clays – I’m not sure, shouldn’t come in contact with metal utensils as it starts to draw out their metals, which makes it less effective when you use it on your hair, skin (or internally). Apparently you can use a metal spoon or whisk to mix it but as soon as you’re done you should remove it immediately.

I got some Rhassoul from eBay. I didn’t get the micronized one, I got the one that looks like clay tablets. It arrived on Thursday, but I haven’t opened it yet.

*I tried to post picture of it but it wouldn't let me*

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Dec 08 2013 at 1:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 1:31pm
Ugh - dammit. Empty post.

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Dec 08 2013 at 1:38pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2013 at 1:36pm
I'm amazed - i[1]n the last 3 weeks, I've noticed a ridiculous amount of shedding. Some of it's down to the ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo though. I shampooed and combed my hair with it in and I lost about half the usual amount. I then used the Kaolin and lost maybe 10 more hairs applying the clay, washing out, moisturising and plaiting.

I co-washed with HE Hello Hydration on Wednesday with my plaits still in and lost one hair.

In the second week I cowashed & conditioned with Aussie Moist & EVOO - no combing - and lost about 5 hairs.

Last week I lost about 5 also when I DC'd with Rhassoul & EVOO - no shampoo, no combing - and lost maybe 3.

I haven't done it yet this week as our bathroom is being refitted. I'm showering at my sister's, but I couldn't be bothered to lug my hair stuff over there as well, so it'll have to wait until Monday.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic