Forum LockedThe Business of Being Born

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Hair ViVi

Author
kalenjin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:44pm
Congratulations Nisha on standing up to this bullshyt...

I ended up calling my brother about it...he is a dr. He basically summarized it to the insurance companies. they would rather pay the 15k for your C-section than risk a 500k lawsuit. Tragic. But he also says - alot of patients dont know their rights and alot are being violated but ignorance is bliss.

smdh...for the 10000000000000 time.

Sponsored Links

Nisha View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by kalenjin kalenjin wrote:

Congratulations Nisha on standing up to this bullshyt...

I ended up calling my brother about it...he is a dr. He basically summarized it to the insurance companies. they would rather pay the 15k for your C-section than risk a 500k lawsuit. Tragic. But he also says - alot of patients dont know their rights and alot are being violated but ignorance is bliss.

smdh...for the 10000000000000 time.

Thanks! I agree with your brother.  These companies will do anything to make a fast buck.

I volunteered in a hospital one summer on the med-surg (medical surgery) floor and I can tell you they can rip you off if you don't know your rights.

I was encouraged to push a lot of products ($10 soaps, extra $10 tiny little bottles of shampoo, etc.) onto patients that they didn't need.   They told me to take the sticker off the product and put it on their charts so they can be charged for it.  Some didn't have insurance.  Instead of putting the stickers on the charts, I stuck them in my pocket.  WinkWinkWink

mcelweewife View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Lick3Shots Lick3Shots wrote:

Originally posted by mcelweewife mcelweewife wrote:

Most things that really matter are here, lol^^^

The ironic part is that black women WERE the main ones delivering their master's babies AND breastfeeding them. That  was the most trifling thing I can think of. I just wonder why we stopped delivering each other's babies.
When did black people abandon natural birth? It's worth looking into.

That's true and very interesting. Do you have a link to the thread from the other form? I wanna be learnt too!

I guess I'm going to have to eat a slice of crow pieEmbarrassedOuch I could've sworn the thread was 8 pages, but it was only 4. In any case, I did learn quite a bit.
Here's the link:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6482&highlight=midwives%2C+one%3F
kalenjin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:03pm
Thanks MC

And Nisha yes - hosp...smdh..i was in the ER for 7 hrs 3 yrs ago and this place charged my insurance 11k for that nonsense...i could not speak then but i am mad when i think about it two yrs later - next time i am admitted they will be SHOCKED!

where the hell is a person making 20 k with sub-par insurance meant to get that kinder money...its sooo damn unfair!

Lick3Shots View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:11pm
Thanks Mcelwee!
Boston View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by mcelweewife mcelweewife wrote:

Most things that really matter are here, lol^^^The ironic part is that black women WERE the main ones delivering their master's babies AND breastfeeding them. That was the most trifling thing I can think of. I just wonder why we stopped delivering each other's babies. When did black people abandon natural birth? It's worth looking into.

This was a really deep and profound comment. I would also like to know why this practice was abandoned.
Boston View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:20pm
When I gave birth to my son they used a birthing chair the chair enabled me to squat . The midwife explained that thus was the most natural and practical way to give birth because gravity helps push the baby out of the birth canal in this position. I was only in labor for 2 hours.
kalenjin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:22pm
It started by American Drs picking up on the fake hormone drug from the Germans who were using it in the 20's

It caused disillusions, craziness and all and then stirrups were invented..women were tied for like days - in labor Cry coz the drug was making them crazy. Essentially it was meant to make them have a delivery natural but out of their bodies so they dont remember the pain...i dont remember the name of the drug but its STILL being used today..in regulated dosages Angry

And then insurance companies stepped in with their damn rules and also women being ignorant about their options and accepting surgery as a way to bring a child into this world.

Right now the national average is 40% C-sec...that is tragic. C-sections are meant for emergencies not shortcuts to nature.

And in this documentary one guy made a real interesting comment. what is this country breeding when you cut of that moment a mother has with her child to bond when they just bond? There are hormones released for that and when they are not used at that moment, the window closes...and now i see why people abandon kids and all kinds of nonsense and we wonder why...i really think this needs to be looked into.

He did give the example of monkeys and i can attest to cats doing the same thing. If they dont bond - they basically abandon that child. Which is why you dont touch a kitty (CAT) until the mother is done licking it and its clean....otherwise it will prob smell of you and she wont want her child. I bet this analogy works for humans on a subconscious level

Again for the 10th time. this is tragic.

Edited by kalenjin - May 06 2009 at 11:22pm
kalenjin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by BostonRob BostonRob wrote:

When I gave birth to my son they used a birthing chair the chair enabled me to squat . The midwife explained that thus was the most natural and practical way to give birth because gravity helps push the baby out of the birth canal in this position. I was only in labor for 2 hours.

I noticed (and they explained) how bad laying down is for you and makes it even more painful. I said i would never let my mum in there but alas - I give in..she has done a few births, i think she can be there, she told me all this stuff and i didnt listen enough.
Entice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by BostonRob BostonRob wrote:

As a squater this makes perfect logical sense.  Even after my colposcopy my doctor said NO gym for 5 days.
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic