The Answer for Discouragement
by Charles Stanley
READ | Psalm 42:5-8
Disappointments and even some discouragement are bound to affect everybody at some point. Yet believers need not remain disheartened by frustrations and setbacks. It is possible to experience joy and peace, even when our expectations arenít met.
When you feel let down, take these steps:
1. Look inward. What is causing your hopeless feelings? Ask God to reveal anything within you that may be part of the problem (for example, an unforgiving spirit).
2. Admit you are discouraged. Confess that you are allowing the emotion to grip you.
3. Look upward. To stop wallowing in the pain, you must take the focus off yourself and place it on the Father.
4. Recognize that this is a spiritual issue. Your present situation can help you learn how to deal with trials when emotions are low.
5. Get into Godís Word. Notice how the men and women of the Bible handled disappointments. For example, through his many years of undeserved difficulties, Joseph clung to his faith that God was still in control.
6. Humble yourself and cry out to the Lord. Remembering His past faithfulness can build your confidence that He will continue to provide.
You may hurt for a season, but you donít have to be overwhelmed to the point of giving up. As a Christian, you can take refuge in your all-powerful, all-wise, loving Father. Recall how He has worked in previous times of letdown. Then be assured that this situation will be another faithfulness story to add to your collection.