Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Age Old Question NY Hairstylist Recommendation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The Age Old Question NY Hairstylist Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Colby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Age Old Question NY Hairstylist Recommendation
    Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 11:22pm
Hey bhm ladies, some of you may know I have been looking for a good hairstylist in NY. I am constantly posting in the IG Hairstylist thread but of all the stylist I had posted, once contacted, nobody fit the criteria and of those who didn't respond it was a waste of time and I suppose a lesson learned. I will do a run down of the main NYC (IG) stylists I've contacted over the past 8 months. Now I don't know about you ladies but I am very picky about who does my hair and I have a list of qualities that I look for in a stylist.

My rule of thumb: I am only contacting you once. My mama taught me not to ever beg someone to take my money.

Hairbybobby
Hard to get in contact with, very busy, constantly traveling.

jacqidollhouse
Answered my email a month later meanwhile her IG was updated on a regular. fullhead sew in starts at $200, more than 3 bundles is an extra $25

myssmonique
A freaking joke!

Bombshell_fash 
Returned my emails three weeks later and she has an assistant. Works from home, installs start at $150 for full/partial weaves, $180 and up for closure weaves and $15 more for over 2 bundles. BUT you have to come to her with hair washed.  For that price I don't understand that.

Cheetahisthenewblack (Fashion Hendricks, owner of the NYC Weave Studio)
This woman is "booked" until 2014.

my_majestichair
My bestfriend saw an old coworker on the 2 train and ended up asking about her install. That is how I found out about Ebony. Like Eveblacchair and Sewnatural, I would put my_majestichair in the lane with those two. I had a consult with her today and felt very good. I was supposed to get my hair done with her but a family emergency came up. Her price includes wash, deep condition, trim and any treatment needed, braid pattern and sew in with style. I am only doing this review because I feel that we NY ladies should share when we find a hidden gem of a stylist. It is sooo hard to find somebody good that 
(1) you can develop a good relationship with
(2) will educate you about your hair and suggest  
(3) isn't expensive as hell and who puts your hair health first
(4) has a great personality, isn't RUDE or LATE
(5) respects your time, WON'T DOUBLE BOOK or OVERBOOK
(6) has FLEXIBLE hours with appointments starting at 6 and 7am
(7) has inclusive prices, no HIDDEN fees 
(8) and who responds back to emails or text messages the same day usually within 1-2 hours.

Those are all the qualities that I was looking for in a stylist. Ebony passed all of those and hopefully I can help someone.
Sponsored Links

LynnNyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LynnNyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 10:13am
Clap ....not many options in NYC.  Thanks.
herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 11:47am
I am always so surprised when I see that you ladies can't find a good stylist in NYC
Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 1:55pm
Yayyyyyyyyy.....Fashion is my stylist. Yup she is definitely fully booked. Reasonably prices no hidden fees. A full install with closure is $150. Very professional and punctual. Located on 35th Street in Manhattan.But it would be always good to have a 2nd stylist.
dee1672 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee1672 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 5:22pm
Dayum! A 6/7am appointment? Im an early riser so Id be in heaven. LOL
LynnNyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote LynnNyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 6:23pm
@herwoman, the bulk of the stylist here are mediocre at best, most bordering on way below average.  however, there are a few who are actually quite good, most call themselves celebrity stylist, but because of that, they are in the $500 - $1200 plus range for sew in, and NOT including hair.  I used to do that, get the $500 sew in no hair included and provide my EP, Bliss, etc. 
Oh, and one stylist, also $500, informed me I needed to go to an African salon she recommended to get the braid down done BEFORE I come in to see her because she 'does not do braiding'.  I'm done with all that nonsense.  We should be able to get a reasonably priced sew ins, and I know wanting to pay $75 is not the case either because you get what you pay for, but for $200 c'mon I should be able to get more than, below average.  This has always been an issue on this board, since I joined, NYC stylists.
Colby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:22am
definitely what Lynn said. @herwoman they try to pull the okiedoke out here. why am I coming to you with my hair washed and then paying you $200 and an top of that you work from home? Everybody wants to call themselves a "celebrity stylist" out here when they don't even come close to doing "celebrity" work. Alot of them are rude and act like they're doing you a favor. Just atrocious. The really good ones are kept hush hush or move on to become a celebrity stylist & cost a month's rent.
LynnNyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LynnNyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 11:07am
And this is why I began wearing wigs. I know ladies in NY who travel out of town to get their weaves done. I got desperate enough once I did my own, took me 12 hrs LOL but for my first try it was not bad at all.  I was tired as hell and never attempted again, but I may need to look into really learning. I learned to ventilate and make wigs, so I can likely learn to do decent weave.  The YT gurus make a weave install look easy but I have no mastered it yet.
Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 1:47pm
I Spoke to Ebony...Op u are on point about who Ebony is. She is polite and very informative. I have an appointment and its not next yearrr.
Mznellybby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mznellybby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 3:52pm
I would like thank you for posting this!!! She is super sweet and doesn't rush you off the phone. She takes the time to get to know YOU and your hair goals. I love it I will definitely be using her. I'll post pics of my installs
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic