Jewel, this is the recipe I use for Festival. My Cousin owns a Jamaican restaurant in New York. She is here at my home for Thanksgiving, and she told me her recipe is a little different. She is making Festival tomorrow. I will be observing to see what is different, and I will send you her recipe. Shh
. She is a trained Chef and an excellent cook.
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar ( You can use more sugar if you desire, about 5-7 Tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup water
vegetable oil (for frying)
1) Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cornmeal and combine.
2) Add the sugar and stir.
3) Add the vanilla to the water, and then add the mixture to the dry ingredients, binding to form a soft dough.
4) Knead lightly.
5) Leave covered for about 1/2 an hour. Divide the dough into eight portions.
6) Flour hands.
7) Knead lightly, then roll and pull each portion to form a 6 inch x
1 1/2 inch length, about 1/8 in thick. You can make shorter ones too.
8) Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Yes that is a problem, dicing potatoes for Potato Salad. Make sure that everything is chilled, potatoes, boiled eggs, veggies. I add a small amount of shredded carrot, chopped parsley leaves, Celery Seeds, and about three Tablespoons Sour Cream to my Potato Salad. You are welcome, and thank you.
Edited by Claudie - Nov 21 2012 at 10:43am