Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Thanksgiving Stuffing/Dressing From Scratch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nikietc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nikietc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 10:48pm
I just tried to get my mom to tell me how she makes her dressing and she gave up after like 4 steps and told me to just visit her and watch, lol
Sponsored Links

Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 12:03am
Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

only white people stuff their turkey.

Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

I thought stuffing was put inside the turkey and dressing you serve on the side. I'm actually talking about dressing tho, since I don't believe in putting anything inside.'

@JA

i didn't know that. tbh i've never had a stuffed turkey.

My mom always stuffed our turkeys growing up.LOL
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 12:39am
Ingredients:
Jiffy mix 3 boxes
Bell Peppers
Green onions 
Celery
Onions
Rubbed sage
Black Pepper
Salt
Chicken
2 eggs
oil

Simple yet deelish

Edited by HunnyB - Nov 20 2012 at 12:40am
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 12:55am
I actually toast bread because I am too cheap to buy bread crumbs.  I cut them into 16 pieces and put them into a pan that has been sauteeing garlic, onions and gizzards in a 4:1 ratio of butter and bacon fat.  I toss them together with my hands, along with enough broth to wet the mixture and sprinkle some Bell's seasoning in for taste and stuff the bird.
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Luv2Teach Luv2Teach wrote:

Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

I can't give an exact recipe cause Ive only made it a few times but you make some homemade cornbread, saute onions and celery, egg, sage, bread crumbs mix and bake. I feel like im forgeting something....

My mom uses these ingredients as well, but she boils chicken leg quarters with onions to make a broth that she uses to mix everything together. Then shreds some of the chicken inside dressing as well before baking.

And a few red peppers (mild) just for some color. 

I use all the above ingredients.  I use cornbread, and Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix.  I make a stock by using a whole chicken.  I add a can Cream Of Chicken & 1 can Cream Of Mushroom, 1 small can corn, 1 small can mushroom, diced bell pepper, shredded chicken.  The secret is to add a dash of poultry seasoning.

Edited by Claudie - Nov 20 2012 at 2:56am
beautiful_hair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 3:05am
I've been tasked with making the dressing this year and since I've never done it before, I went online and downloaded a recipe.  I hope it turns out ok.Ermm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 3:07am
The recipe calls for sage, but they were sold out at the store so I was told to use sausage since sage has that same taste.  Is this a good idea?  I've seen people do it before, but since I'm new at this, I want it to be right.
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 3:08am
I dont know the exact recipe, but my granny uses homemade cornbread, chicken stock, chicken giblets, green onions, regular onions, and celery. 

I've had dressing similar to hers, and most of the ingredients were the same, but instead of cornbread, chopped up sourdough bread was used. 

ETA: I think regular chicken meat is in there too, but Im not sure. 

Edited by **Sk!TtLeS B** - Nov 20 2012 at 3:09am
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 3:32am
Originally posted by beautiful_hair beautiful_hair wrote:

The recipe calls for sage, but they were sold out at the store so I was told to use sausage since sage has that same taste.  Is this a good idea?  I've seen people do it before, but since I'm new at this, I want it to be right.

Is there a health food store close by?  Some health food stores sell it .  If you use sausage, make sure that you drain it well before adding to the mixture.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 3:35am
Thanks Claudie.  I'm in Japan so I doubt the grocery stores here would have it.  A guy who works in my building is going to see if he has some at home for me to use.  He was the one who told me to use the sausage in case he doesn't have any.  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic