Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Texturizers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

texturizer vs. relaxer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
vkb247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkb247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2008 at 8:49am
Originally posted by SinDerElla SinDerElla wrote:

Just to chime in. I've never had a relaxer or text but my hair dresser suggested it over a relaxer because they have different active ingredients and she didn't want me to loose my curl pattern. Straight from the stylist mouth!

Girl if stylists new everything (some don't know anything) about healthy hair care then we wouldn't need hair boards. Trust me I have done my own chemicals for years and their are only three basic types -

curly perms: use thioglycollate-based products (ammonium or glycerol thioglycollate)

lye: sodium hydroxide

no-lye: guanidine carbonate, lithium, or potassium hydroxide

Besides new straightening techniques like the BKT (which isn't permanent) or some of those wonky "natural" relaxers, I bet if you go to the BSS and look at any chemical you will see that it is one of these. Don't take your hairdressers word for it, don't even take my word for it, go to the store and see for yourself like I did. Wink
Sponsored Links

lena_2202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lena_2202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 4:10pm
ClapAbsolutely right!

Reading through the thread I was wondering when actual facts were going to emergeShocked. Ladies lets not assume the chemicals are the same, it is very important we educate ourselves on the differences in chemicals otherwise you will mess up your hair. Texturizers and Relaxers have very different active ingredients. Intended for very different functions.

(Info taken from another site)

Sodium Hydroxide Hair Relaxer:

Sodium hydroxide is used to remove unwanted curl from the hair. The difference between the strengths depends upon the percentage of active ingredients. This relaxer is alkaline in pH, which forces the cuticle to open so that the relaxer can penetrate into the cortex layer of the hair. Once there, the sodium hydroxide breaks the disulfide bond. When this happens, the hair will smooth out to a straightened form due to the weight of the crème, the pressure of smoothing, or in extremely curly hair, the gentle combing of the hair.

Ammonium Thioglycolate Hair Straightening. (Nicknamed "Thio relaxer")

Thioglycolate is used to straighten as well as curl the hair. Therefore, the process is reversible. The same chemical reaction that puts curl in the hair during the permanent waving procedure, takes curl out of hair in chemical straightening. Thioglycolate is the main chemical ingredient in Japanese Thermal Reconditioning/TR systems, and permanent wave products. This process is much less drastic in its action than the sodium hydroxide. It acts a little differently by softening and relaxing overly curly hair through changes to the hair's cystine linkage. And of course, a fragrance is added, since the “thio” compounds all possess a rotten egg or skunk-like odor.

Thio works on the same formulation principles as Thioglycolate permanent waves. Thio relaxers are also considered to be less damaging, yet still require a neutralization step. Since Thio relaxers are considered much milder, the risk of hair damage is also reduced by comparison to the sodium hydroxide.

Today thioglycolate is the # one choice with stylists.

NEVER perm hair that has been treated with a sodium hydroxide relaxer.  This also includes calcium hydroxide as well as potassium based relaxers.  Even if they say "No Lye" the rule still applies.
 Sodium hydroxide and Thio chemistries are not compatible.
Hair that has been chemically relaxed with any of these can not be permed until ALL the hair that was treated with the relaxer has been cut off, as it would be destroyed anyway, by perming over it.

Thio (Ammonium Thioglycolate, the reducing agent in perm lotion) breaks bonds in the hair differently than sodium hydroxide, and as a result, one can not be used over the other.

If however, the hair was treated with a thio relaxer, that is the same chemistry as a perm, and the hair can be permed again, over that, as long as its condition dictates that it all right to do so.

Fin

So generally speaking from a natural vs chemically altered perspective. Relaxing/texturizing would be the same thing as they both dramatically change the hair from its natural state. However the chemicals differ greatly in the way they affect the hair. So basically, what ever chemical treatment you choose to apply to your hair, be prepared to make a long-term commitment because alternating between the two is a recipe for damaged hair or no hair at all.

\

vkb247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkb247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2008 at 4:41pm
Thanks Leana.....but I actually disagree with you in that relaxers and texturizers do have the same ingredients (either lye or no-lye). Thio "relaxers" are actually curly perms.
incognito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incognito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 10:12am
Originally posted by vkb247 vkb247 wrote:

Thanks Leana.....but I actually disagree with you in that relaxers and texturizers do have the same ingredients (either lye or no-lye). Thio "relaxers" are actually curly perms.

That's correct.  Calcium hydroxide and Sodium hydroxide relaxers and texturizers are compatible with each other.  However, Thio based perms, curly perms, are not compatible with calcium/sodium hydroxide relaxers and overlapping will cause severe damage. 

Also, regarding calcium/sodium hydroxide relaxers, it's best not to switch repeatedly between lye and no-lye.

HTH
MrsLisa12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsLisa12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 9:47am
Okay, hmmmmClap
lena_2202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lena_2202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 9:32pm
Oh I see, I looked into a few box texturizers and they seem to be hydroxide based. Some considerable time ago (years and years...lol) I used a box texturizer, it was not hydroxide based it was thio. I guess things have changed since then. So you are absolutely right, they are the same! Sorry for the misinformation.
ღ♥P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ღ♥P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 11:26am
Originally posted by cinnamon23 cinnamon23 wrote:

well I tried to texturize me hair with Just for me texture softener, My first time using the product

I have texturized my hair before, but with the regular men texturizers I think S-Curl I can't remember exactly which one

anyway I followed the instructions on time and I apparently miss calculated or have the wrong info on what my hair texture is or Just for ME  producers have the wrong hair textures in mind with the time limits

I'm under the impression I have 4a hair

Anyway I left it in to long I guess and my hair was BONE STRIAGHT !!!!!!!!!
Straighter results than I've ever recieved with an Actual Relaxer
I have pretty think hair and my hair was so Bone Straight it was thin, I could barely put it in a ponytail
for the first time I understood what ethnicities with good hair deal with trying to get their hair in ponytails

So in conclusion I know a texturizer or Texture softener is just a Relaxer !
maybe JUST FOR ME texture softener is not  TEXTURIZER maybe its just a Relaxer they put a new name and method on

I have left real texturizers in my hair a long time and that bone straight thin never happened, it just softened my hair texture and made it wavy and after a exteneded period of time being left on it was just ineffective

WOw i thought that was weird.. i did my hair with 'Just for Me' texture softner today for the second time (only on new growth) and it practically gave me relaxer results.
But my hair's pretty resistant and reverts after a while (hence it just keeps a loose curl pattern anyways when i use relaxer - Dark and Lovely)

The first time i had it put over almost put over all my already relaxed hair and had terrible results at first (straight and unmanageable) until i gave my hair a good deal of TLC and it looked better than eva and got it's elaticity bk! Big%20smile.

What's interesting though is that i used this today OVER a my new growth which was really underprocessed 2 days ago when i tried switching to motions herbal lye.. on the box (of JFM) it says that it's safe to use over relaxed hair. I love the way my hair looks right now and it BETTER not fall off""!!AngryWinkI've never had breakage and my hairs been through a lot in the past but i like JFM texture softner as it still seems less harsh than a normal relaxer (less drying) and you don't have to worry as much about over processing.

However, my plan is still to use a lye system. Would you mind sharing your experiences with S-curl texturizer?

I'm worried it'll just leave me underprocessed n will leave my hair too curly? especially compared to JFM which i thought was just texturizing but apparently not!
MrsLisa12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsLisa12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2008 at 8:45am

I guess it depends on your hair type, hair that has a s-pattern curls and hair that have a z-pattern is hard to curl. I used soft and beautiful botanical texturizer, it works for short and long hair.

I am not sure which hair type is for s or z, it's either 4a or 4b. if anyone knows, can u post please. There is a lady name afrogerman_girl who use jfm text and she has long curly hair, that she sometimes wear straight

poizon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2009 at 10:10pm
ohh so  THATS  what texlaxing is!

GOT IT.Clap
h.martina55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h.martina55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 6:04am
hi ladies, am your newest member in desperate need for advice after reading most of the topics that relate to my question.

am mixed race [black dad white mum] and have the thick tough afro hair. i have been relaxing with DARK AND LOVELY now for over 10years however am sick to death of it now because although i get new growth to retouching [which i do every 2 months], my hair really hasn't grown beyond my shoulder.  which means that its breaking at the tips and now its very very DRY. i use loads of conditioners, indian-herm hair oil [great] but still it looks dry.

a friend adviced that me of texturisers which i never heard of before, and she said its better than relaxer particularly for mixed race women.  my last relaxing was Feb 14th 2009 and i have very little regrowth [about 1 inch]. i don't want to loose the hair ive got so please can someone tell me the best way to go about this transition.

my hair has VERY TIGHT small S curls however its impossible to comb if let natural so i DEFINITELY have to use something to loosen it up a bit.

ive read through alot of your threads that going from relaxing to texturising can cause hair loss which i don't want. please can you advice me. ideally  i would like my hair to look like this: [hope the mods don't mind this link here]

http://eazychoiceuae.com/images/pt_3256.jpg

truly greatful.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures