Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Texturizers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTexturizer vs. Jeri Curls

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
Angelique View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texturizer vs. Jeri Curls
    Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 9:55pm
A texurizer sound like jeri curls  After u get 1  u have to put product in your hair to keep it curled  That to me is a jeri curl . What is the different?  I know u don't have to u rods for the curl but what else is diffenent?   Thank U

Edited by Angelique - Jun 20 2007 at 10:52am
Sponsored Links

NaturaleMommi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2007 at 10:20am
the 2 are not the same.....

jheri curl is a double chemical process that involves rollers to make your hair curly. with a jheri curl you cannot flat iron your hair or wear braids. you're stuck with the curl and that's it.

a texturizer is a mild perm, left on the hair for a short period of time to bring out your curl pattern. the process does not involve rollers. with a text you have the versatility of wearing your hair curly, flat ironed and you can even wear braids.
hairbiz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 8:15am
The main difference is the type of chemical used.  Jheri culrs( which does not  require a double chemical process)(the only chemicals used are the curly perm and then the neutralizer, same as a text or relaxer)) uses a thio based chemical to curl the hair while texturizers are lye/no lye based.  Also perm rods are used to create the curl with a jheri curl while a text loosens your natural curl.  (with a curl you can wear braids,(I did) and I also wore blow outs with no damage but I wouldn't recommend it)  You can also relax over a texturizer but would need to transition out of or chop off the jheri curled hair if you should decide to relax or texturize as thio based chemicals and Lye/no lye based do not mix.

Edited by hairbiz - Jun 22 2007 at 8:20am
soyini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 4:16pm
Back when I wore a jheri curl, it was indeed a 2-step process.  First they put a chemical on it to straighten it.  Then they set it on perm rods and added another chemical (may have been the same chemical but it was put on again after the rollers)
natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2007 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by femmemuscle femmemuscle wrote:

yep, soyini, you're right, it is a two step process..everyone in my neighborhood told me the very same thing you have just described..after the first chemical dousing, they doused the hair some more on after they put the perm rods in place..

then after their  hair was done?  they were walking around with baggies on their head to keep the moisture in, or kept having to spray their hair constantly with the moisturizer..

and they left one hell of a mess on our sofas..
LOL
hairbiz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2007 at 12:15pm
The other thing  that is put on the curl is the neutralizer to set/ lock in the curl( and  to stop the chemical processing) after it is set on perm rods.     Same as a relaxer  You use neutralizing shampoo to stop the chemical process.   The only thing that is different between the jheri curls and relaxers is the type of chemical used and the fact that the jheri curl is set on perm rods.  You need to neutralize them both.   It is indeed a two-step process ( relax/rearrange the hair and then curl the hair) but not a double chemical process in the sense that a stylist would use the term.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style