Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
shahsosweet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Texturizer for 11yo girl
    Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 2:30pm
(originally posted in the texturizer section erroneously)
OK I am really at my wits end managing my eleven year old daughter's hair lol. She has really thick tight curls and its just everywhere Confused. It sucks up water and product like you wouldn't believe and it gets frizzy instantly in braids. I am really seriously considering the Just for Me texture softener and I have read some great things about on BHM, but I cant recall seeing any info about kids hair. I just want to soften and loosen the curl a bit, definitely dont want it straight but just easier to straighten when she gets it blow dried. Any suggestions are welcomeBig%20smile Here are some pics of her hair texture . . .

Sponsored Links

deedeecdc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 11:25pm
I am looking for the same thing except my girls are 6 and twins. I don't want to damage their hair, but I feel your pain. I wanna stop making my babaies cry. Help!!!! Quick!!!
WhitneyC. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 2:51pm

I use the Just for me texture softener on my stepdaughters hair she's mixed and her hair is SO much more manageable <----(I think thats how you spell it, LOL) I love it because it doesn't take away all her curls and i can do ALOT more cute styles with her hair since it isn't so thick.

clovercurls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 3:56pm

does this product contain chemicals similar to a relaxer/texturizer? Something tells me that this 'softener' is just another way to market a kiddie relaxer. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I could swear this topic has been discussed before, maybe not on this site.

aishwarya_fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2008 at 7:30am
B4 you use a texture softner, please read some of the 'dryness' threads in the Children's Hair section, the Growth section, and the Natural Hair section for tips, ideas, products that aren't chemicals. Exhaust non-chemi options first. I say that because your daughter has some beautiful natural hair. BEAUTIFUL! I'd try to perserve that 100% natural state of her hair if you can. Once chemis are in the hair, you can have the managebility, but chemis don't really moisturize. So, you may still have the dryness. I'd try to get the dryness under control b4 doing a text, if you choose to do one.

My children are racially mixed, but they had extreme dryness, hella frizz, and superdy-duperdy tangles and knots some yrs ago. Their heads would just soak up whatever I put on their hair, which at the time was mostly just Olive Oil and some water here and there, and then would become super-dry deserts literally minutes later that could not be combed. Now, with no chemis services used ever, their hair retains moisture longer (several days most times), and their curls stay defined longer. Their hair is manageble to the point where I only need to fingercomb out a few tangles here and there. And, that's not due to them being mixed, as I can say the same about my napps.

Some things I did that helped were:

1. No SLS/ALS shampoos. Instead co-wash with something very moisturizing. If need to really clean scalp, I heavily diluted a non-SLS/ALS poo with water or used Baking Soda + Water rinse after having lightly oiled the hair with Coconut oil. I always use a leave-in conditoner after washes/co-washes, and sometimes when just detangling to do a style.

2. Water, water, water hair + seal hair. I use a spray bottle filled with Distilled water, a bit of Giovanni Direct Leave-In, some Rosemary EO, and bit of Glycerin/melted and dissolved Honey. Spray their hair in sections, seal with a bit of oil, then style their hair. And, I have them sleep in satin bonnets/on satin pillowcase. If the style is loose like ponytails, then at night they sleep with 4 to 8 sections of hair in big twists, no styling hair accesories in hair, with satin caps. In the morn, I untwist, and if needed I then spray and seal and then put hair in ponytails.

3. I only use comb when hair is wet with lots of conditioner in it, and do so lightly. I don't brush their hair daily; I really only use brush once a month to get things like lint out of hair. For everyday styling I smooth their hair with my hands. I don't try to put edges or flyaways in ponytails. I just smooth the edges with hands that are lightly coated in oil. Edges are going to come outta ponytails anyway. Might as well let them do their thing and grow, but smooth them so they don't get tangled. I mostly use combs/picks to part the hair. But, when I do comb it is gently, and after I've used my fingers to undo most of the tangles and shed hair. That has helped with frizz too.

4. Got a shower filter. That actually helped b/c cholrine was drying out hair something awful, minerals coated the hair, and some products weren't washing out properly. I noticed a difference in hair sheen and feel after some weeks. Our hair was dull, dull, dull, dull before the filter and proper mositurizing. Tap water can be the debbil depending on where you live.

5. Have them take a DHA (fish oil) kiddie supplement (from good brand that tests for things like absence of mercury like Nordic Naturals) + their multivitamin. Really helps with scalp and hair dryness, but this takes months to see difference and it really helps if you do other internal and external things like drink lots of water and moisturize hair.

HTH. Have faith that you'll find a solution that works for your little one and you. Smile

Edited by aishwarya_fan - Mar 30 2008 at 7:44am
shahsosweet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2008 at 8:30am

Wow, thanks so much for that informative reply!! I am going to try some of these options and work on the dryness. Thanks again everyoneSmile

aangel247 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 8:15pm
i must say i love your daughters hairEmbarrassed i would not to put it in her hair..but then again i dont have to deal with it lol..
there was a topic on here about carmelization and its like a texturizer but WITHOUT chemicals..your should look into that too!
shortnsweet08 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 10:37pm
shah- I dont have kids myself, but Im natural, with 4 a/b hair, but Ive learned to care for my hair so that it is reallllllllllllllllly manageable. I have virtually no problems with dryness or tangling. all I do is moisturize my hair b4 bed with s curl or something, then put it into large braids or plaits. It really conditions and detangles my hair. You should just try visiting the naturals section to see what others do.
shortnsweet08 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 10:37pm

Double post

Edited by shortnsweet08 - May 05 2008 at 10:38pm
jule1985 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 4:04am

well, im new in here and i kind of have the same problem... i have twin girls that are mixed, and i just dont know what to do with their hair anymore at all... they r just 2 years old now, but it drives me crazy that they always have to go threw all that pain when i just want to comb their hair... i live in germany so it is pretty hard to find any products for their hair...

well, i read the infos on here and will try some of it...

maybe you can help me to figure out what to do...

im sorry that i use the topic someone else posted, but i cant post a new topic on here...

thanks

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic