Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tennessee lawmakers want to tie welfare benefits..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tennessee lawmakers want to tie welfare benefits..

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Harmonii View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tennessee lawmakers want to tie welfare benefits..
    Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:24pm
FOX News - Politics - Latest Headlines - Tennessee lawmaker wants to tie welfare benefits to good grades

Tennessee lawmaker wants to tie welfare benefits to good grades
A Tennessee lawmaker is pushing a controversial new bill that would tie welfare benefits to students' performance in school.

Republican state Sen. Stacey Campfield introduced the legislation last week, calling for the state to cut welfare benefits to parents whose kids don't do well in class.

He says it will force parents to take a more active role in their children's education. Critics, though, are panning the proposal as unfair, and one that could hurt children in the end.

Currently, parents of children who receive welfare benefits through the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program can see their benefits cut by 20 percent if their child doesn't show up for school. Campfield's proposal goes a step further and requires students make "satisfactory academic progress."

If they don't, recipients could see their checks slashed by 30 percent. "Satisfactory academic progress" would reportedly be measured based on whether a student is advancing through grade levels and how they do on standardized testing. Calls and emails to Campfield's office were not immediately returned.

"Parents are responsible to make sure their kids are ready for school and that they get an education," the senator wrote on his blog. "The state cannot continue to support the generational cycle of poverty."

The impact of the bill could be widespread. Tennessee had 155,281 people on welfare in 2011. Only four states in the nation -- California, New York, Ohio and Michigan -- ranked higher in per-capita welfare recipients.

In an interview with the Knoxville News Sentinel, Campfield referred to success in public schools as a "three-legged stool" - schools, teachers and parents. He said schools and teachers have done their part and now it's time for parents to do theirs.

According to the Tennessee Department of Education, the state had a 87.2 percent high school graduation rate in 2012, up from 85.5 percent in 2011. The state's rate is well above the national average of 78.2 percent.

It is estimated that if Tennessee can up its graduation rate to 90 percent, the state could see a $90 million increase in annual earnings and could enjoy $16 million more in additional tax revenues, according to a March 20, 2012 article in the Chattanooga Times-Free Press.

It is not yet known how successful Campfield's push to tie welfare benefits to good grades will be. Multiple calls to Tennessee legislators have not yet been returned.

Campfield does not have children.
Sponsored Links

Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:28pm
So if Your Kid is slow, Y'all don't eat
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:30pm
Sounds good to me.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:31pm
This is going to run into the same issue that laws to punish parents for children's truancy ran into...putting parents in jail or on probation or cutting their benefits makes them less able to care for their children.

I don't know what the alternative should be though. Far too many parents are failing their kids when it comes to education, whether they receive welfare or not.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:42pm
I agree that parents should take a more active role in their child's education, but I don't like this.

how one measures "satisfactory progress" is based on standardized testing which carries a certain bias.

i can see some teachers/admin being biased towards these children that NEED to do better in order for their families to get the assistance they need.

say this law goes into effect, and a family gets their check cut. the lack of resources would directly affect the child's performance in school, and make it harder to be successful academically.

I can see parents/grandparents blaming the child for not doing better, yet not helping them achieve better academic success b/c they can't (over even won't help). this puts an unnecessary burden on children

i just feel like it is overreaching by the gov't and making assistance dependent on these factors that shouldn't be there.

Edited by Ladybird0724 - Jan 28 2013 at 1:44pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply