Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Teacher suspended for suicide assignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teacher suspended for suicide assignment
    Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:05pm

French teacher suspended for asking pupils to write suicide notes

A French teacher has been suspended for asking his class of 13-year olds to write their own suicide note, sparking a row over whether the task was shockingly inappropriate or instructive.

French teacher suspended for asking pupils to write suicide notes
Geneviève Fioraso, France's higher education minister, waded in Photo: GETTY

By , Paris

3:11PM GMT 11 Dec 2012

The unnamed teacher handed out a homework note to pupils of the collège Antoine-Delafont, a secondary school in Montmoreau-Saint-Cybard southwestern France.

It read: "You've just turned 18 and have decided to end your life. Your decision appears irrevocable. As a final effort, you decide to explain the reasons for your act.

"In setting out your self-portrait, you describe all the disgust you feel for yourself. Your text must bring up certain events in your life at the root of this feeling."

A group of shocked parents wrote an anonymous note to the headmaster and local school authority, saying: "We are horrified that this type of topic should be proposed to children between 13 and 14 years old."

One parent, Béatrice Goupilleau, told Le Charente Libre, the local newspaper, that her son was embarrassed to let her see his suicide note and the teacher's comment, which read: "Not precise enough."

"Thank goodness for that!," she exclaimed.

Another, Hélène Ferrari, said: "What shocks me is linking autobiography with suicide, it's really over the top."

Christophe Clément, president of the FCPE parents' union in Montmoreau, said such a subject is "practically inciting (pupils) to commit suicide."

Jean-Marie Renault, the local education authority head, said the teacher had been officially notified of his suspension, adding: "Telling a pupil that he is about to end his life and that he must recount it appears troubling to us."

His local authority has had to cope with two pupil suicides in recent months.

Geneviève Fioraso, France's higher education minister, waded in, saying: "If the topic was launched in this way, without accompaniment, without context, it's dangerous."

But as the media storm around the suspension grew, many colleagues, parents and pupils rallied behind the teacher.

One pupil, Lola, said: "He's our favourite teacher, the best we've ever had in this school. We don't want him to be punished."

Villagers were generally supportive, with one young mother telling Charente Libre: "What do you think they talk about in the playground? The images they see on TV are far more shocking."

"Suicide is part of daily life. Perhaps the teacher wished to raise their awareness of the issue," said another.

By Tuesday afternoon, an umbrella group of parents issued a statement calling for the teacher's "immediate return to his post for the good of our children". Pupils and teachers "appreciate the qualities of this teacher," they said.

Media coverage of the affair had been "over the top and inappropriate", they added, noting that the subject had "not shocked" pupils at it had been "well presented" by the teacher.

The local SUD-Education union said the suspension was a "bad response taken in haste under pressure from a part of public opinion".

Commenting on NouvelObs website, French teacher Yves Delaie said the affair highlighted a huge problem with post-1968 teaching in France, namely "Wanting at all costs the pupil to talk about himself."

Thoughts?  Do you agree with his suspension or do you think that suicide should be discussed in school?  On another site, someone commented saying that the assignment could help detect signs of distress and cries for help..

Sponsored Links

babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:25pm
She should be fired Wtf?
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:26pm
Interesting....
I'm all for creative writing.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:29pm
i like to be creative but...you never really know what someone is going through...thats not something you want kids doing. heck its been over 10 years since i've been suicidal and i still wouldnt touch that subject.

Geek

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:31pm
I remember we had to write epitaphs one day.
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:31pm
She should of just told them to write their own eulogy, would of been in better taste.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:33pm
Suicide should be discussed but not like this....
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:34pm
I feel like parents should discuss suicide with their children if they notice signs that something may be wrong.  I have an issue with it being taught in school though.
grandhustle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote grandhustle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:45pm
I had to write my own suicide note in college. I was like then....if I was 13... I'm not sure I'd be equipped to do so. It really takes an emotional toll on you.
SensitiveSwag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensitiveSwag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:52pm
LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>