Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Tailbone Length Hair Challenge 2013 (open!!!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkvalkyrie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 8:42am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

I just measured my hair and I've gained an inch in 6 weeks! yay! my normal growth rate is 1/2 an inch every 5 weeks! wooo! (I'm also in the growth overload challenge.) so now my longest stands are 26 inches and I'm declaring hip length! : >

(I apologize in advance for my super long post!!!)

Wow that's awesome yahya, congrats!! I think mine grows soooooo sloooow, but sometimes I get random growth spurts out of nowhere. I've been taking vitamins reliably and everything for the past two month or so - gnc womens multi mega, 1300mg MSM, bamboo silica, fish oil, garlic, calcium but not sure if I see any difference in my hair's growth rate. My nails have definitely improved quite a bit though! They used to be super fragile, soft, always peeling and chipping. Now they are hard as rock! I've never had nails like this before. They don't seem to be growing any faster though, but I'm definitely digging how strong they feel :)

On to some bad news! I had a pretty horrible weekend. On friday after working out, I went to wash my hair as usual (I waited until it was dry from sweat first). I unbraided my ponytail to do a very light finger detangling on dry hair, then started putting in my pre-poo mix (loads of oil, aloe vera gel, and some conditioner that ive been trying to get rid off). Usually I just let it sit on my head for about 10-15mins or so then hop in the shower, but that day I decided to sit under heat instead since I'd been reading so much about others having very successful detangling sessions when doing pre-poo with heat. Everything went great; when I hopped in the shower to wash it out, my hair felt like butter, super soft and smooth but not mushy. Thinking back on it, I should have probably thoroughly detangled my hair right at this point instead of waiting until after I washed then put more conditioner in to detangle. Instead, I lightly finger detangled so I could separate my hair into more sections to wash, and decided I would clarify to remove product buildup since I felt like my hair had been becoming more and more undefined at the roots lately, and more stiff. I assumed maybe this was due to oil buildup since I stopped using cones a while ago. Well, after I clarified, i moved on to using one of my favorite conditioners so I could detangle. Well, problem is, my roots were rebelling at this point. I'm not sure if it was the shampoo (I'd been cowashing only for a while), or the cold weather, or something else, but while the comb was able to glide through my relaxed hair effortlessly, it was not having any of that new growth. I could not get the comb to go through no matter how much conditioner i used, and then i realized my new growth felt pretty hard and tough. This just came to me as I am writing this, but now I'm wondering if it was the MSM I'd been using. When I found that it made my nails hard and strong, I was excited thinking it would make my new growth pretty strong too, but I didn't think it would be possible it would make it stiff and hard too. Do you think this could be the reason? 

Well the horrible part is that I lost a HUGE bit of hair detangling over the next two days. That night, I had tried detangling on my still wet/conditioner filled hair, and after two hours I gave up in frustration and just threw it in a ponytail for the night. On saturday morning I tried again, this time in MUCH smaller sections (really really small sections) and it seemed the second I would finally get the comb through each section, it would tangle right back up. When I was done with my whole head, I had like 3 weeks worth of hair combined between the 2 day detangling session! I cried my eyes out like you would not believe :( I thought I had everything figured out and now nothing was working. Of course I called my mom and she pretty much gave me a huge lecture about why I decided to wait this long before relaxing my hair, and that with hair like mine it was not possible to transition as it would all fall out. She bullied me into to spending the day at her place so she could properly detangle my hair, lol (she is such a trip). Her belief is that I would have to cut all my hair off if I wanted to go natural. She has no issue with natural hair - in fact, she is natural right now, well, minus the permanent color. She just thinks that I shouldn't do it unless I am willing to sacrifice ALL my relaxed hair and chop it all off. Pretty much, I got an "I told you so speech". I'm really reeeaaaaaaally bummed right now. I wanted to prove that I could do a (very) long term transition. I didn't care if it took 10 years, I would do it. I didn't care how much work it took, as long as I could do it safely without breakage. I wanted to have pretty and long natural hair. It was going so well too! But last few weeks it has steadily been becoming more and more difficult. Since I am NOT going to do a big chop of any sort I think I will just cut my losses right here and have her do my next relaxer since I have so much new growth (she said I have 3-4 inches right now in the middle of my head). I usually do it myself but she wants to make sure that I don't mess up further and offered to do it for me. At this point, I don't think I want to risk loosing any more hair so I will be doing it next weekend. There was nothing wrong with my relaxed hair honestly - I just wanted to try something new, but not at the price of having to do a big chop. Maybe when I get older and I don't care about the length of my hair. *siiiiiiiiiiigh*

-super bummed :*(
Sponsored Links

yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 5:29pm
aaaaaaw, that's so sad! I'm sorry to hear that! D : 
but, with your hair feeling stiff and hard to detangle, do you think it's possible that your new growth has a protein overload? and how about comparing how many inches of you new growth feels stiff with how long you've been taking msm? you might be able to see whether it's really the msm or not. 

Edited by yahya - Feb 11 2013 at 5:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 7:19am
Aw dang, I didn't think to try and feel up to where was feeling stiff and now its too late 'cuz after I oiled my scalp with sweet almond+avocado oils it softened the new growth back to normal :( But the protein overload is a possibility since I've been using shea moisture and cantu leave ins (both at the same time) for at least the past three weeks since I thought my relaxed ends had been starting to feel a bit mushy. I've been putting it on my roots too even though my roots did not feel like it needed protein. Why does hair have to be so complicated, lol.
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 9:31pm
it might be because the relaxed hair needs more protein than the natural hair, so your relaxed is balanced but your new growth has too much protein. just a thought.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 8:13pm
My mum came over today and did my hair using the JFM texture softener. She kept going on about how she wasn't sure it was going to get my hair straight enough (I kept telling her I wanted a more texlaxed look, but she wasn't hearing any of that!), but it actually turned out pretty well. I sabotaged it by putting more oil than usual in my hair :) To top it off, no more breakage. Yay :) It did come out a bit straighter than I'd have liked but I'm just glad the breakage stopped. I asked her to give my ends a trim but it looks like she is just as stingy as I am, because I don't notice a difference at all. I'll try to give myself a 1" trim next weekend. I think doing these gradual trims like I'm doing, it may take all year to get to the point that I am satisfied with my ends. But I prefer that to just cutting a big chunk off from the start. My heart cant take it! (lol)
aMAYSing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aMAYSing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2013 at 3:11pm
I'm sorry I'm late, but I would like to join if I can. 

*Are you relaxed, or natural?
 Natural 

*What is your current length?
Hiplength (i think, lol....) 

*3 short term goals (could be milestones, bad habit breaking, whatever...)
1. Actually try different styles besides twists and buns (have fun with my natural hair and/or go back to weaves)
2. GHE and/or baggy more often for more moisture and length retention. 
3. Be more consistent with vitamins. 

*post your DETAILED regimen (include your vitamins and growth aids)
Prenatal pills are the only pills I take (still nursing).
Detangle with a VO5 conditioner or suave almond and shea butter conditioner. Wash hair with Tresemme naturals conditioner or GF triple nutrition conditioner. Deep condition or steam with Samy Deep Conditioning Treatment or Smooth 'N Shine Repair Xtreme Vitamin Infusing Conditioner (now discontinued). Then moisturize hair with Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-In Conditoner and seal hair with homemade shea butter. Then twist hair. If I need moisture, I'll either GHE or baggy my whole head. If I baggy my whole head, I spritz my hair beforehand with aloe mix (aloe vera juice, water, and a few drops of rosemary and/or peppermint). 

Once a month I will clarify with VO5 shampoo followed by GF triple nutrition shampoo. Once a month, I also will do a protein treatment with Mizani Kerafuse Intensive Strenghtening Treatment followed by a deep conditioner.

I only straighten my hair twice a year and at least go six months between sessions. 
Louel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 11:07am
I can pull my hair down to my pants at this point, so I guess I at least reached full hip length. In a way I'm looking forward to letting my hair grow longer... but in a way: I'm not

My original plan was to let my hair grow out to it's terminal length, and dread it up once I got tired of that. But... to be honest... For a while now I'm feeling like this hair on my head is asking too much of my time, consideration, and effort. 
I have been looking at some of my old pictures, where I had really short curly hair, and I kinda miss it. 

I guess this is another one of those phases where I just need to find ways to get inspired to keep on doing what I'm doing. On top of that I need an easier routine, so that my hair doesn't become too big of an obstacle to me: or else.... I might do the unthinkable... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Louel Louel wrote:

I can pull my hair down to my pants at this point, so I guess I at least reached full hip length. In a way I'm looking forward to letting my hair grow longer... but in a way: I'm not

My original plan was to let my hair grow out to it's terminal length, and dread it up once I got tired of that. But... to be honest... For a while now I'm feeling like this hair on my head is asking too much of my time, consideration, and effort. 
I have been looking at some of my old pictures, where I had really short curly hair, and I kinda miss it. 

I guess this is another one of those phases where I just need to find ways to get inspired to keep on doing what I'm doing. On top of that I need an easier routine, so that my hair doesn't become too big of an obstacle to me: or else.... I might do the unthinkable... 

Eek! I sooooometimes get thoughts like that too on bad wash days, immediately followed by nightmares (daymares?) of someone chasing me with a pair of scissors! I think you should do like my mom: when the urge hits you to try short hairstyles, buy/try a wig! She has all these cute wigs with short hairstyles now because I refuse to let her get away with cutting her own hair. I would nag her to death. Just put your hair into some cornrows or something for a couple weeks so you don't have to mess with it. But stay away from those scissors!
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2013 at 11:48am
Yes please do not cut your hair short or put it in dreds Thumbs Down
Do you know how many people would LOVE to have hair down to their hips !!!!
If you must cut it off though, send it to me LOL ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 10:06am
ps I was thinking about what you said about your hair taking too much time. I know that natural hair takes a LOT of work. When I have my japanese straightened, my hair  has zero tangles  out of the tub or shower co washing, and I just air dry it after putting oil in it! So it takes care of itself... (except oiling and tieing it up at night) Smile The most work I ever do to my hair is pour a lot of oil on it Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
have you thought of just 4me texlax to make the work easier on yourself? For my buck though japanese thermal straightener is the best ever!! gentle,  and maintenance free hair. ionic one n' only has one also Quantum Thermal Straightener is the other... both at Sally's

Edited by LadyAradia - Mar 17 2013 at 10:11am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>