Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Synthetic Wig vs Human Hair. Any benefits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
chatnoir View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chatnoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by kitkatkitty kitkatkitty wrote:

The problem with synthetic wigs is that if you get it in a texture and later decide to flat iron or curl it, the yaki texture will not return.

Synthetic Hair Pros:
Variety: There is virtually no limit to the variety you can find with synthetic wigs. They come in any legnth, any color, and any texture.

Price: Synthetic wigs are much cheaper up front. However, when you start buying the higher quality synthetic wigs, it almost makes more sense to go ahead and get human hair.

Permanence of Style: With a synthetic wig, those curls you paid for are going to stay until you change them. Then the hair will be straight until you curl it. Synthetic fibers, unlike natural hair, offer permanent styling options.

Synthetic Hair Cons:
Comfort: A lot of the time, caps made for synthetic wigs are not as comfortable as wigs made with human hair. In addition, the hair itself is rarely as soft as human hair and can sometimes irritate the skin.

Longevity: Synthetic hair doesn't last that long. The ends and the nape will eventually mat up and you will be left with the option of cutting the wig, or continually flat ironing/ steaming the ends straight again. (Note: even this doesn't work more than a few times.)

Various: Synthetic hair is known to be more shiny than human hair, unnaturally so.
Synthetic hair cannot be dyed, permed, or altered at all, in the case of hair that is not heat resistant.
Synthetic hair wigs also usually have scratchy "porch screen" lace which can be very uncomfortable.

Human Hair Pros
I'm going to sum this up quickly. Most lace wig wearers on this site prefer human hair to synthetic hair. Human hair is natural, comfortable, and can be altered at the wearer's choice. It lasts much longer than synthetic care and can be treated like ones' one hair, albeit with a bit more tended care. These days human hair can be found in almost as many different variations as synthetic. One is also much more likely to find something natural looking when looking at human hair wigs rather than synthetic. Human hair wigs usually have more parting space and soft lace.

Human Hair Cons
Cost: Human hair is much more expensive up front, and the price usually increases with the quality of the hair. However, a good human hair lace wig can last months, and even years if properly treated.

Vendor Tricks: When buying human hair, you dont always get what you paid for. Sometimes, one will buy a human hair wig and find synthetic hair blended in, or discover that the hair has a severe problem with tangles, indicating poor quality hair.

Fragility: Oftentimes, human hair wigs are much more sensitive to mishandling than synthetic wigs. The lace can rip, or holes can be made from excessive scratching.

Well, that's all I'm putting here now. Hope this helps.

Great summary!  Clap
Sponsored Links

pg12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pg12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 10:46pm
well I prefer human hair but I will use synthies in the summer as I can change-o presto when I want to without a lot of prep like you would have to do with human hair (bleaching or faux bleaching, sealing knots allover, cutting or having your wig cut and styled etc)
feverforever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feverforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 12:40pm
Ignore this post...

Edited by feverforever - Aug 07 2013 at 4:41pm
elisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by peaceloveandcurls peaceloveandcurls wrote:

where do you ladies suggest I find good human hair wigs? 

I was considering best lace wigs but hearing bad reviews! 

Oh HAYELL 2 the NO!  You DON"T want to go there!!!!Ouch

BTW: Whatwig is pretty good and they're having a Flash Sale going on; 20% off.

Edited by elisa - Aug 07 2013 at 10:52pm
KottonKandy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KottonKandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 6:51pm
If you go syn, get the ones that are made with remy fibers.. 
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by KottonKandy KottonKandy wrote:

If you go syn, get the ones that are made with remy fibers.. 
I've only ever seen this type for wefts, not wigs. Where do you find the wigs?
hennared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 9:55pm
^^^^ OK I am entirely confused.  Synthetic REMY fibers??  I thought 'remy' implied aligned cuticle direction.. and synthetic hair doesn't have cuticles.  What am I missing??
dreamingvickey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamingvickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 2:13am
human hair is better, synthetic hair is not a good choice
dreamingvickey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamingvickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 2:15am

Agree with you

carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by hennared hennared wrote:

^^^^ OK I am entirely confused.  Synthetic REMY fibers??  I thought 'remy' implied aligned cuticle direction.. and synthetic hair doesn't have cuticles.  What am I missing??
It's just marketing. They know we associate REMY with good quality hair.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>