Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swiss apologize for encounter Oprah calls racist
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection
 

Swiss apologize for encounter Oprah calls racist

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 12 2011
Location: London, England
Status: Offline
Points: 378151
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:27am
She doesn't have to know who Oprah is in the first place...that's not the point--a customer asks you to do something, you do it. 

The sales person should have known her place, she probably passed up commission cos she was blinded by her own prejudice lol.


Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 12 2011
Location: London, England
Status: Offline
Points: 378151
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:28am
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

Rush Limbaugh Calls Oprah Fat
Via HuffPo reports:

Here is how Rush Limbaugh tried to explain away Oprah’s encounter with a woman who refused to sell her a handbag in Switzerland — an encounter widely viewed as tinged with racism:

“Maybe it’s because the Oprah’s fat! … Look, don’t most people think that the fat and the obese are poor and stupid?”








why does he keep calling her 'the Oprah?'...this man is despicable
Back to Top
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 28 2006
Location: StrwberryFields
Status: Online
Points: 298940
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 2:38am
If Rush didn't have money, he'd be that creepy old guy that lives in a trailer that smells of old stale cigarettes, a confederate flag on his rusty pick up truck and an old dirty looking dog in the back.
Back to Top
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Sep 02 2010
Location: Hell
Status: Offline
Points: 231296
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:00am
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

They're apologizing only because she is rich.


I don't even think it's that she's rich, but more so that she has clout and a platform to effect their business.

They world give no fukcs if Boomquisha from the hood won the lottery, came in their store, and got treated like that.


I believe they are byproducts of her wealth, but you are correct, that analogy concretes your point!
Back to Top
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 19 2008
Location: South London
Status: Offline
Points: 869211
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:02am
i only give oprah credit for not going for the 'im oprah' bitch routine
Back to Top
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 15 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 194025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:41am
I didn't read the whole thing but are they sayin' Oprah is a lie?
Back to Top
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 15 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 194025
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I heard on the news radio that the store was recently robbed by some blacks and that the clerk was scared ...That is why she was ambivalent to helping Queen Oprah
 
 
 
Gurl please.LOL I need video receipts and paperwork.
 
 
but at the same time....was it a language misunderstanding or was the girl scurred cause "they got robbed?"  They're just coming up with all kinds of excuses.


Edited by newdiva1 - Aug 10 2013 at 3:50am
Back to Top
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 26 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 94095
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 5:31am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

Rush Limbaugh Calls Oprah Fat
Via HuffPo reports:

Here is how Rush Limbaugh tried to explain away Oprah’s encounter with a woman who refused to sell her a handbag in Switzerland — an encounter widely viewed as tinged with racism:

“Maybe it’s because the Oprah’s fat! … Look, don’t most people think that the fat and the obese are poor and stupid?”








why does he keep calling her 'the Oprah?'...this man is despicable

He is trying to insult and dehumanize her. He is not referring to her as a person but as a thing. Kinda like "the chair" , "the computer", "the book".....
Back to Top
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 29 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Status: Offline
Points: 22513
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 6:06am
Geesh, have any of ya'll ever BEEN to Switzerland? I have.
 
In fact I have been working and living in Europe for almost 15 years .. where my job sends me to about 12 European countries for work and yes, even when people 'speak English' GOOD GRIEF do they misunderstand what you are saying and ... you misunderstand what they are saying. Shocked
 
I remember when I first moved here and I would come home from work and ask my bf 'Hi, how are yoü doing?' and he would turn up his face and shrug. I thought that was odd.That went on for a while.. until one day he got mad and said 'What does it matter how_I_am_doing_my_things'.  Why do you want to know how I do things! All mad at me.. Ahhhh.
 
So then I had to explain 'How are you doing' is just an expression ..  like 'Good Day'. But he was getting upset that I kept asking him how_he_was_doing ...he thought ..his things.Unhappy
 
I used to come home flop down on the sofa and say 'I'M POOPED!" That used to make him wince too .. until he asked why I keep talking about my private toliet issues when I sit on the couch! So then I had to explain that the expression 'I'M POOPED' just means .. I am tired. Smile
 
Now these are smallll language gaps .. but I have had a lot of them.
 
Ah .... I went to buy some flowers and I said 'I want those'.  The lady says 'Oh these are EXPENSIVE' with a shocked look. I was so pi**** .. because I said I want them anyway .. and then she looked offended and rang me up. That has happened in several stores for a while ... used to p*** me off.
 
Then one day I was shopping with a friend and it happened to her! I said - 'WHY DO these people act like what you want is EXPENSIVE like that ... as if you can't afford it!"
 
She explained .. oh that's because the Dutch are cheap and they think it's important they tell to so you can watch what you spend - so they try to warn you!
 
Ahhh so from that point on - when I pick out something and someone says 'Oh this is too expensive!' I don't take offense anymore. I just say something like 'Oh I realize it's very expensive but I want to treat myself today.' Then they smile and say .. that is good for you and we start talking about how women never treat themselves etc so then it is a nice exchange. But I don't take offenense anymore because see they were not trying to put me down.
 
This kind of stuff happens soooo much so now I am very careful how I use my English and I try to understand what people are saying to me BEHIND the words .. because in my experience people are not putting you down. They are just expressing themselves in English but the nuances etc can make it seem like an insult if you are Black and from America where people DO PURPOSELY say mean things because you are Black.
 
I am NOT SAYING this what happened to Oprah while she was in that store because I was not there!!
 
What I AM saying is that ... using English to people that are not native English speakers DOES indeed cause a lot of misunderstandings! You just have to be exposed enough to other cultures to REALIZE this so then you use your words carefully and watch their faces carefully when they speak English so that you understand and don't take things the wrong way. If what they say sounds odd/rude .. I repeat it back try to clarify ... then they will come back and say it a little differentt and so forth.
 
You really have to watch people's faces and expression to understand what they are trying to say - even in English.
 
btw- 99% of Swiss TV is not American/English speaking at all .... so I doubt if the average Swiss person would know who she is.
 
 
Back to Top
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Sep 14 2012
Location: North Sea
Status: Offline
Points: 48150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 6:17am
I eye rolled at that half ass non-apology. Of course that store clerk knew English, it happened in damn Zurich. Banking capital of the world (and boring city to visit). She knew English but was just a racist asshole.
Best bet if Patty Hearst walked in there they would speak perfect English.
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down