BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

SweetNovember*s Hair Journal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 5:55pm
Well I'm done with detangling. My hair is sectioned off to dry partially. Then I'll make my puff.

I'm not happy with the amount of hair I lost (mostly shedding, I think) and the amount of effort needed to detangle. Last time I definitely used more leave-in. 'll have to keep that in mind for next time. I have a backup, so I had no reason to be stingy.
Sponsored Links

Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 2:19am
No silicones yet...*crosses fingers* So, I dumped out my moisturizing spray that had water, aloe vera juice, and my CoN conditioner (with silicones) that I was trying to run out. I'm officially silicone and sulfate free. I'm gonna give this thing a shot, at least for a week. Hopefully I can do it for a month so I can get a feel for the changes I see in my hair and scalp.

When my edges dried I still noticed flakes. *sigh* I'm gonna mix a scalp treatment and pit it in a squirt bottle. I'm gonna base it on Shea Moisture's black soap scalp spray with the black label. I'm gonna put bottled water, Monistat, aloe vera juice, tea tree oil, and any other scalp friendly goodies I can think of.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 2:23am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

No silicones yet...*crosses fingers* So, I dumped out my moisturizing spray that had water, aloe vera juice, and my CoN conditioner (with silicones) that I was trying to run out. I'm officially silicone and sulfate free. I'm gonna give this thing a shot, at least for a week. Hopefully I can do it for a month so I can get a feel for the changes I see in my hair and scalp.

When my edges dried I still noticed flakes. *sigh* I'm gonna mix a scalp treatment and pit it in a squirt bottle. I'm gonna base it on Shea Moisture's black soap scalp spray with the black label. I'm gonna put bottled water, Monistat, aloe vera juice, tea tree oil, and any other scalp friendly goodies I can think of.

well i'm finally cutting my hair this friday.. I'm not excited anymoreOuch congrats on your new hair start.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 2:57am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

well i'm finally cutting my hair this friday.. I'm not excited anymoreOuch congrats on your new hair start.

Start a hair journal. I need some inspiration.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 6:02pm
So I made my scalp treatment. I used about equal amounts of water and aloe vera juice, a good amount of tea tree oil, and quite a bit of Monistat. I put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften the Monistat and then I shook it until it was blended. The result was a liquid the exact color and consistency of milk. I applied it to my edges because I didn't want to mess up my puff. Embarrassed Then I used my velcro wrap to lay my edges back down.

There is a very noticeable tingle. I don't care if the mix is a bit strong because I need something strong.

ETA: I bit the bullet and applied it to my scalp throughout my hair. It's so light, and yet so strong. This is a much better choice than the castor oil blend. I think the heaviness of the castor oil was contributing to my buildup.

Edited by SweetNovember* - Apr 03 2013 at 6:09pm
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2013 at 3:45am
It might just be my imagination, but my hair just feels soooo soooooffffftttt...I've been moisturizing with plain water followed by a light coating of olive oil. My hair is surprisingly pliable and cooperative considering the lack of heavy product. I don't know if my hair is so soft because it's free of petrolatum, mineral oil, and silicones, or because I minimized the amount and number of products I used in general. Or it may just be because my hair is clean LoL. We'll see.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 6:44am
I just cowashed for the first time. OMG, I know never to do that again. Next time I will at least twist my hair in about eight sections before the wash and don't take them loose til after. I experienced some snapping. I used Tressemme Naturals, the one with Aloe and Avocado. People say it's great, but I feel it could have had better slip. I also used olive oil and that's it. No gel. I feel like I had to work harder to get my hair clean, so that makes me feel like it's not really clean. The first time I still had flakes, plus the conditioner was reacting with the gel I used last time to form that weird white stuff. So that let me know the gel was still in my hair after the first cowash. I went ahead and rinsed my hair completely clean and then added more conditioner, instead of leaving some amount of conditioner on it throughout the entire wash. My hair was pretty much soaking wet, so I spent a lot of time picking my puff to make sure it won't shrink down to nothing once it's dry. When it's mostly dry then I will shape it.

I'm getting somewhat of a spot on my edges. I didn't notice it until I saw the pic. I think it's from the yarn braids...grrr...no more braids for me for a while.

Edited by SweetNovember* - Apr 06 2013 at 6:45am
AmberColour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberColour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 9:26pm

I just cowashed for the first time. OMG, I know never to do that again. Next time I will at least twist my hair in about eight sections before the wash and don't take them loose til after. I experienced some snapping. I used Tressemme Naturals, the one with Aloe and Avocado. People say it's great, but I feel it could have had better slip. I also used olive oil and that's it. No gel. I feel like I had to work harder to get my hair clean, so that makes me feel like it's not really clean. The first time I still had flakes, plus the conditioner was reacting with the gel I used last time to form that weird white stuff. So that let me know the gel was still in my hair after the first cowash. I went ahead and rinsed my hair completely clean and then added more conditioner, instead of leaving some amount of conditioner on it throughout the entire wash. My hair was pretty much soaking wet, so I spent a lot of time picking my puff to make sure it won't shrink down to nothing once it's dry. When it's mostly dry then I will shape it.

I'm getting somewhat of a spot on my edges. I didn't notice it until I saw the pic. I think it's from the yarn braids...grrr...no more braids for me for a while.
Hey SweetNovember.
Have you tried looking into some other CG friendly condishes?
There's the Dove Pure Clean in the light green bottle.
I am not sure how much it costs, but I have tried it before.
It does feel like all the other cone-free conditioners do.
It's light, but I do think it has more slip than any of the Tresemme Natural condishes.
I wouldn't say it's comparable to any heavy condish, but I will compare it to those^
Might be a good idea to look into.
It shouldn't be anymore than $3 and some change, so if your hair doesn't like it, it's not too expensive.
But I really do think "our" (Being that it's kinky, fro-eySmile ...and deliciousLOL) hair type may like this one better than the Tresemme Nat.
Oh and you could always go into Walmart and try it out in your hands--I do this all the time just to get a feel of what any product may be like.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 1:23am
Thanks, AmberColour, I will def try that one when this one runs out. I already used 1/4 bottle in a single cowash so it shouldn't be too long.

I forgot to mention, after my cowash I saw some curl clumpage for the first time. I saw three squiggly curls in the middle of my head, but when I  stretched them between my fingers they frizzed and I couldn't clump them again. I thought it was really interesting because I'd never seen my hair clump before on it's own, without manipulation.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 1:45am
I should also mention that I read most of Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey. I hated it. All of the practical information in the book could have been condensed into a pamphlet. Most of the book is just filler and repetition and bad puns on curly hair. I learned more about the CG method from MahoganyCurl's videos than I did from the entire book. *sighs*

Anyway, last night I purchased Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong by Teri LaFlesh. I had been planning to buy her book because I love her website and the amount of effort she put into compiling all that information for free. I got a lot of info from the Black Hair Science website and their book is great. So I figured even if her book isn't that great or if it is basically a copy of her website it would still be a great show of support.  But as it turns out I actually really like the book so far. I'll update when I've finished the book.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic