Perfect Hair Collection

Sweden To Experiment With Six-Hour Workday

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweden To Experiment With Six-Hour Workday
    Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:46am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/05/sweden-work-hours_n_5446579.html

Sweden To Experiment With Six-Hour Workday

The Huffington Post  | By Rebecca Hiscott

Posted: Updated: 

A few lucky workers in Gothenburg, Sweden, will scale back to a six-hour workday this summer as part of an unusual government experiment.

The test group of government workers will work a six-hour day beginning July 1, while a second control group will continue to work an eight-hour day, according to The Local, an English-language news site.

The government hopes to find out whether shorter days will translate into higher productivity per hour and fewer sick days. After one year of the test, the government will decide whether to extend the program to other sectors of the government.

“We hope to get the staff members taking fewer sick days and feeling better mentally and physically after they've worked shorter days," Mats Pilhelm, a Left Party city councillor in Gothenburg, told The Local.

Pilhelm also told the AFP he believed the shorter shifts would lead to an increase in worker efficiency. Longer shifts, he believes, require employees to take more breaks.

"Every time you have a break, it takes 10 to 15 minutes to get back to work, because you have to see where you were when you left off," he said, adding that a Gothenburg Toyota factory had seen promising results after testing a six-hour workday.

Another Swedish town, Kiruna, long ago decided to test out the six-hour workday. But the town decided to end the 16-year experiment in 2005 after some complained that a compressed workweek actually put more pressure on workers who struggled to increase the pace of their work.

Gothenburg's new experimental policy stands in contrast to the the United States’ “cult of overwork," where employees are often expected to exceed the 40-hour workweek. A 2013 survey found eight in 10 Americans feel stressed about their jobs; common woes include an increasing workload and decreasing work-life balance.

There is some evidence to support the notion that productivity declines as work hours increase, but real-world applications of reduced workweeks yield mixed results.

France is seen as something of a champion of a worker's right to leisure time. Recently, the nation approved a labour agreement that obliges consulting and technology employees to "disconnect from remote communications tools" at the end of the workday.

And though France is sometimes known as "the land of the 35-hour workweek," the reality is often quite different. For instance, 50 percent of blue-collar workersput in paid overtime in 2010, and a Reuters report found that French middle managers worked an average of 44 hours per week.

On the flip side, German workers put in an average of 394 hours less than Americans each year, and still manage to have the world's fourth most productive economy. But even there, some companies have been quietly renegotiating 40-hour work weeks.

If Sweden's latest foray into shorter workdays pays off, harried American employers could take a lesson from this experiment in Scandinavian ingenuity. But we're not getting our hopes up.

Sweden already has some of the shortest work hours among OECD countries. The chart below shows the average number of hours worked per year in 31 nations; Sweden comes toward the end of the list.

Sponsored Links

Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:25am
I'd rather do 8 hours/4 days/week and have a 3 day weekend.  Now that would be a real change.

Seriously doubt they are going to see increased productivity especially with a shorter day.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I'd rather do 8 hours/4 days/week and have a 3 day weekend.  Now that would be a real change.

Seriously doubt they are going to see increased productivity especially with a shorter day.

I agree... people tend to work harder if they know they have a longer weekend ahead. 
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:48am
So Statistically,  Mexicans really do work hard as sh*t.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:22am

I don't know

for me 40 hours is okay

it's what I have to do in those 40 hours

I do think a 4 day week work would be fine, one where I work 10 hours a day, with the option to work from home

I don't always need a 3 day weekend

if my work is satisfying I find myself thinking about it when I'm not at work and looking forward to completing a task when I get back to work

I like staying busy, feeling needed, and feeling accomplished
Fcgriffin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fcgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:26am
I don't mind a 40 hour work week.  I used to work a 38 hour work week with three 10 hour days and one 8 hour day.  It was nice because I had days off during the week to get stuff done.  

I wish my current employer would take note.  Coming in here every single day is pissing me off
aNgElIc*SoUl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aNgElIc*SoUl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Yea, moving that dope.

I kid

Not really
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:53am
luckilly I get summer hours over here.
I get to leave at noon on fridays from memorial to labor day.

I wish I could do this all year round though.
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Yea, moving that dope.

I kid

Not really
Stern Smile!! lol smh aren't you suppose to be participating in the say a nice thing challenge?
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 3:12pm
OOPS someone got busted....Angelic<<<<
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style