Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Supporting my natural decisions

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carrshajamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carrshajamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supporting my natural decisions
    Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 5:21pm
I recently decided to go natural in January cutting off all my hair and starting fresh.My hair is now about the length of my middle finger when stretched out but I mostly just wear it as a twa because I suffer from trigeminal neuralgia and cannot deal with the tension and pulling of natural styles. I had a customer come in (an older black woman) and ask me why haven't I done something to "that nappy mess on my head". I was appalled and yet there was nothing I could say. I'm thinking of just going back to perming my hair. This clearly isnt for everyone
Sponsored Links

K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 6:42pm
I'm not sure if you're serious.  I've heard the big chop is a rough phase; try to stick it out and learn how to take care of your natural hair.  Look up videos and blogs on caring for your hair or even get info from the naturals section here on this board.  There is a post your fro thread in that section and it's pretty inspirational.  Ultimately, it's up to you and what makes you feel good not some random customer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrshajamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 7:07pm
I'm serious. It's not just her, its more of the everyday stresses of this disorder that begin to wear on you. She kind of voiced my inner opinion about myself
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 7:20pm
I've experienced this same thing many many many times from older black women.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 12:24pm
im sorry she said that to you, but when people have those types of reactions, it really has nothing to do with you.  shes fighting a battle with herself.

i hope you find the strength to do what you want with your hairHug

morenaloca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 11:34pm
Older women can be so mean! It's your hair, do what is best for you. If you do decide to relax, please participate in the relaxed section as well as the hair growth section. It needs more activity LOL
LaurenNicole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurenNicole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2013 at 10:50am
Talk about rude. Sorry she said that to you! Either way I hope you decide what is best for you and your hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrshajamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2013 at 6:17pm
Thanks everyone. I'm still going strong. I didnt get a perm. Instead I just got some long kinky twists. My face hurt for a while after the install. Anyone with trigemenal neuralgia can relate
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 12:58am
Going natural is not the easiest route to go.  You will encounter folks coming out the woodworks telling you that your hair or facial structure can't do natural hair.  Basically if you are committed to the look, you will have to deal with it or build a catalogue of witty comebacks.  Say for example, the rude comment came from a post menopause woman, work in comment about her bloated body.  Callous as fcuk I know but they came for you first.
allure13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allure13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 4:07pm
I would have went in on her old ass in a very polite way of course, but thats just me.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic