Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suffer from Depression? "F*ck You, Kill Yourself!"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Suffer from Depression? "F*ck You, Kill Yourself!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 11:44am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

A lot of immigrant parents are like this, though. Not as radical, but they truly feel as if depression is a Western ailment. My friends and I were just talking about this last year. While I think it's a very real disease, they contest that twe come from countries where people make in one year what the average minimum wage worker makes in a week, and yet depression does not seem (we don't have any actual numbers) to be as rampant.

Very true. They can be very hard headed when it comes to this issue. And it's not like mental illness doesn't exist back home in their countries. It's just that it is expressed differently and isn't articulated as such. I bet it's a lot of psychotic people turned voodoo priests and blood thirsty dictators. Lol
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by K_Camille K_Camille wrote:

I can't bring myself to care enough about him or what he said to be enraged

This too. I have to admit I was annoyed this week when all this attention was being bestowed upon Robin Williams and away from the Michael Brown case. It's not that I don't understand depression but part of me was like "could you have waited a month before you offed yourself, damn it?" I know it's a bit cold though
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 12:10pm

what jr smith of the ny knicks posted on his instagram
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 2:59pm
Would he say that to one of his kids if they suffered from depression? Fuccer.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

....the real depressed people dont announce it tho, they just go ahead and do what they feel they have to

And a LOT of them know how to hide it very well.

Edited by Az~Maverick - Aug 16 2014 at 3:07pm
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

well when everybody starts claiming being depressed it does get kinda annoying....the real depressed people dont announce it tho, they just go ahead and do what they feel they have to

That isn't true...especially if they're being treated for it.  People don't always respond well when you're dealing with depression, so you give them an explanation about why your behavior has changed or your work ethic is suffering.  Depression also happens on a spectrum.  
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 3:25pm
I think the black community especially needs to take depression more seriously. Coupled with the fact that no resources are given, when it comes to black folks, it's just shrugged off, say "it's a "yt folks disease", "prayed away", or just plain ignored. PTSD runs rampant in the community as well.
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 3:57pm
Has-beens who want to be relevant again just have to say, or do something controversial to get folks talking about them.

He should have just made a sex tape
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

Has-beens who want to be relevant again just have to say, or do something controversial to get folks talking about them.

He should have just made a sex tape

EWWW....just NO. I feel depressed just thinking about that.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

A lot of immigrant parents are like this, though. Not as radical, but they truly feel as if depression is a Western ailment. My friends and I were just talking about this last year. While I think it's a very real disease, they contest that twe come from countries where people make in one year what the average minimum wage worker makes in a week, and yet depression does not seem (we don't have any actual numbers) to be as rampant.

Lots of black southern folk feel like this too

Not that I don't believe depression is real, but I do believe its more common in Western Countries.  I believe depression is further exacerbated by culture.  In Western nations people are more isolated and less close to family, especially extended family.  Having the time and space to ruminate about your depression leads to suicidal thoughts.  In Nigeria, its nearly impossible to live in isolation.  Between family, friends, and coworkers, you are not given the space or time to be alone.  It does make a huge difference.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>