BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Braids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Studying abroad - braids or no??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
Beelee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studying abroad - braids or no??
    Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 5:11pm
Hey ladies and gents. I'm going to be studying aboard in Barcelona, Spain next year (YAY!) from Jan 2015-May 2015 and I have NO idea what to do with my hair. I currently have a relaxer and my hair goes about 2 inches past my collarbone. I'm thinking about getting box braids but I know that they won't last as long as my study aboard trip. Does anybody have another ideas of what to do with hair?! Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome!!

Thanks!!! :)
Sponsored Links

french_vanilla1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote french_vanilla1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 9:06pm
Other than just leaving your hair out, I don't really know what style would last that long, look good and not damage your hair. A u-part wig maybe? Hopefully some others will have some suggestions too
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 1:12pm
Can you do your own sew-in?  That is an option or kinky twist. 
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 1:47pm
U-part wig with yaki hair.
happygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote happygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:09pm
You could just wear your own hair and wrap it. Make sure you have a good cut and  some olive oil on hand. A wig that was suggested would be nice too and if you wanted to go with braids it could get you through a little over half your time away. Just make sure they are not too tight. Contrary to popular belief braids should never hurt. Hurting means they are pulling your hair out by the roots. Super excited for you about your trip!
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 11:39pm
wigs, girl, wigs!!

you can change up your styles, without having to go to a salon, plus take care of your  own hair. 

I remember when i DID wear braids, they had to get touched up or actually rebraided every 4-6 weeks, or they got "fuzzy"??

that's even with extensions in them.

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2014 at 7:01pm
My vote is for the briads btw they have African braiders in Spain
iyawo814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iyawo814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 6:06pm
Since you will not be going to Spain until Jan 2015, you have some time to learn/teach yourself how to braid, weave, perm your own hair.

I studied abroad during my undergrad and I was rocking a short cut at the time. I made sure to pack enough hair products (i.e. perm, neutralizing shampoo, deep condit, etc.) to last me my entire stay. Once I got there, I found me a beutician to cut my hair and I would go home and style it myself.

Good Luck and I hope you have a blast in Spain!!
RubyJewelStone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RubyJewelStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 12:27pm
As someone living in Germany, wigs have been a lifesaver. Knowing how most study abroad programs go, your schedule and especially weekends will be PACKED and so setting aside time to locate and find a salon may mean missing out on a really cool excursion or something, and shared housing made me want to keep hair day as short as possible. Plus if you're the only black girl, you'd probably be going to unknown parts of town alone just for a touch up. Wigs were really the least stressful option for me.

However, if you want to keep relaxing, they have African hair shops and salons all over Europe If I could find several in Germany, I'm sure Spain will have some. So you don't have some much to worry about.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 7:27am
You could just wear your own hair and wrap it.  Carry a jar of relaxer, oils and a flat iron with you for routine maintenance. You will need a US to Europe adapter for your flat iron plug
http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-US-Canada-Travel-to-Europe-electrical-AC-adaptor-/360328868597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item53e54632f5

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 22 2014 at 12:30pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic