FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Students invent device to stop gunmen

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
shantel75 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shantel75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Students invent device to stop gunmen
    Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 8:33pm
<script height="365px" width="650px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=6c21d43b06ee4460a29e40d9542c86ae&ec=NrZG5hZzrOKbQpfXEBGl-yxnsGHxL5WG"></script>

Motivated by the mass shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, a group of students in Washington, D.C. have come up with a way to keep intruders out of their classrooms.

It costs just $5 to make — weighs less than a pound, but students at Benjamin Banneker academic high school in Washington D.C. hope that this simple invention could protect more students during school shootings than metal detectors and bag checks.

“With active shooters being so prevalent, they need come up with other ways to secure buildings,” John Mahoney, math teacher at Benjamin Banneker, said.

Students and teachers here have been so shaken by recent school shootings that they’ve invented a locking device for classroom doors.

“For me the key shooting was in Columbine High school in Colorado where it was actually a mathematics teacher who was killed, and I teach mathematics here,” Mahoney said.

“Because it happened in Connecticut it can also happen here in DC,” Deonte Antrum, student, said.

Made up simply of a PVC pipe and a steel pin – the device can be fitted over a hydraulic door closer if there’s ever an intruder is in the hallway.  This will keep the classroom firmly locked, and prevent a gunman from gaining entry.

“In lieu of trying to get all the school doors with deadbolt locks on it, I think this is a quick practical way of doing it,” Anita Berger Principal, said.

Like in many schools across the country classrooms at Benjamin Banneker can’t be locked from the inside for fire safety reasons.

“I don’t even have a handle on the inside of my door or any way to secure the inside of the door.

At Sandy Hook elementary school last December one teacher locked her students in a bathroom to protect them from 20-year-old gunman Adam  Lanza.

“The recent shooting where the shooter broke into the building and shot a lot of kids inspired us to do it because it proved that the building, the doors aren’t that secure.”

Students here were recently awarded a $6600 grant from Lemelson M.I.T. to develop a final version of their device.

“Well we’re not quite ready for an IPO yet, but we anticipate having a really great prototype by spring,” student Anjreyev Harvey said.

And with this crude safety mechanism, they say they now have an extra barrier in place if they ever they hear gunshots from the hallway.

“God forbid something happens, but my hope is that everyone is trained in how to use it and everyone has where it is available to use.”

Sponsored Links

Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 8:55pm
If ppl hear shooting, how close to this device are they?   I wouldn't want to be locked IN with the shooter
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 9:03pm
I used to volunteer at the child center that was connected to Banneker. 
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2013 at 10:28pm
hmmmmmmm

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

If ppl hear shooting, how close to this device are they?   I wouldn't want to be locked IN with the shooter
that latter comment .. Hilarious as fuuuck
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 1:09am
I'm still laughing

patternsandtexture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patternsandtexture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:38am
The best device is an android that will kill killers. Best thing you can do!!!
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 6:55am
^^android? ajax is that you?
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 7:13am
They need to put some well trained safety protection officers in schools and search everyone's belongings. 

I hate the fact that we even have to come up with these inventions. Im strongly considering homeschooling. 

Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2013 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

^^android? ajax is that you?

I said this a few days ago... he left a very telling clue in one of his other posts

Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

Originally posted by patternsandtexture patternsandtexture wrote:

Well, I'm the guy so I would and I'm the one marrying her. So, yes I would buy the ring and purchase her a house and all of that.  I'm not the most traditional thing, but I like to live good and happy and I freely give to those who love me, so why not.
I know who u are now
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply