Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedStretching relaxer too long damaging?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by FemTiger FemTiger wrote:

I'm sorry your hair is breaking. I'm going through a bit of the same thing. I applied a relaxer to my virgin hair at the beginning of November intending to stretch it for as long as I could. I had so much breakage I had to touch it up yesterday. Most of the breakage is in the back. It was breaking off right at the line of demarcation. I thought I was taking good care of it, keeping it moist and using protein, but I still had breakage. Everytime I touched it would fall out. *sigh* I hope I can fix it before it's too late.

I hope that your hair will recover very quickly.  Whenever you stretch, you need to keep your hair moisturized  from the roots to the demarcation line.  S-Curl is very good for that, it will keep the areas moisturized.  If you apply S-Curl on the new growth to the demarcation line when you shampoo, and every other day, it will make a difference while stretching.    You might have been using too much protein also.  For some people, while stretching the hair requires more moisture, more so than protein.  Make sure that you apply more conditioner to the area that broke off, and handle it gentle.  That should help your hair to recover, good luck.
Sponsored Links

Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2006 at 12:18am

Sorry about that. Yeah, some people can't stretch for too long. I've never gone 9 months. That is a very long time. I hope it gets better.

You haven't seen hardly any breakage though, if I am reading it correctly. Maybe it is just growing unevenly? Is the new growth the same length all over?Confused 

nella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2006 at 11:37pm
Hello Claudie, this is some very good advice and it will help me on my path to healthier hair. I have one question, what is clarifying? okay, two questions, how can I tell which shampoos are for clarifying purposes?
Bonita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Phoenix1017 Phoenix1017 wrote:

Sorry about that. Yeah, some people can't stretch for too long. I've never gone 9 months. That is a very long time. I hope it gets better.

You haven't seen hardly any breakage though, if I am reading it correctly. Maybe it is just growing unevenly? Is the new growth the same length all over?Confused 

It could be a possiblity that my hair was growing unevenly. Because some parts of my new growth were longer than others... My hair is doing alot better now. thanks ladies. My shedding has stopped and I had a relaxer a week ago. But my hair dresser had to cut off a few inches of hair thoughConfused Because of the uneveness...
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by nella nella wrote:

Hello Claudie, this is some very good advice and it will help me on my path to healthier hair. I have one question, what is clarifying? okay, two questions, how can I tell which shampoos are for clarifying purposes?

Hi Nella, the bottles will state clarifying shampoo, some brands are Suave, Pantene, Nexxus Aloe Rid. 
Gisselle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 10:15am
I agree with the other ladies.  Everyone can't stretch for that long.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 1:24pm
I streched for 19 - 20 weeks and didnt have bad breakage...this time around, I've been stretching since October when I got my last relaxer---however, my hair doesnt seem to be holding up as well as it did with my last stretch. Too much breakage, so I'm thinking I will cut down on stretching as well.
MinnyMiss16 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:06pm
mamiissopreshiz how long did u strect for , cause this is my 1st time strecting and i want to know how long you lasted?
txtinkerbelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 4:14pm
when i was transitioning i noticed that the hair in the back broke off alot faster than the hair in the front, but the hair in the back grew faster also because when i went in to get a relaxer the back is still longer than the front even though it was completely natural and the front still had some relaxer in it
byrdlady22 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Phoenix1017 Phoenix1017 wrote:

I wish I could go 9 months but three months is the best I can do because my hair starts to tangle. If I could go longer I would have to get braids but I would still have to wait aweek so my scalp wont burn when I relax it. When I stretch I cant even style it so I dont get much breakage from combing. My hair hasnt seen a comb since I started in 2005 lol
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic