Topic ClosedStretchers Support Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 154>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Khaiya View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 2:49pm
Have you read the Breakage 101 Thread lndnwll?
Sponsored Links

lndnwll View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 2:56pm

The thread that explains the difference between breaking and shedding right? Yeah I need to go read it again though to understand why my hair is doing this... So I am going to read it now..>

Khaiya View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 3:21pm
Girl i thought your hair was too short to bun, your hair is longer than mine by a good bit. If i can bun you can bun too! If you dont like how your ponytail looks just tuck it under or something, i dont wear my tail out cause i want to protect it as much as possible so i just tuck it under.

Have you tried an ACV rinse? I know thats what took care of my moisture problem! It will help some of the build up on your hair and it will also help some of your porosity problems (which might be the reason your hair isnt holding moisture.) Its easy to do and you have nothing to lose in doing it, so if you haven't tried it yet, try it. Your hair will hold moisture a lot better when you're done. Or you could just go buy a bottle of Porosity Control Conditioner, i dont know all the different brands, i only know the one by Roux and it works great. Check it out, until you can buy one though, try the ACV.
gem_zk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 3:23pm

Does anybody here do their own braids?  I think it was on the crown & glory website where the was a video on how to braid.  it looked easy enough, but she was doing it on a wig head.  it's cheaper than paying someone $70 to do it and you can do it as tight or loose as you want.  I'm considering trying it on myself to help stretch to my 16wk goal.  I'm also kind of afraid that since I already have a little over an inch of NG, my demarcation line may not like the braids.  Opinions?

kjeneen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 4:31pm
I would like to chime in, if I couldEmbarrassed

Current Status: 16 weeks

Longest Stretch Time: 26 weeks 

Ultimate Stretch Goal: 36-52 weeks

Current Stretch Goal: 26 -35 weeks

Hair Type: 4a/b

-Potential Relaxer Date: Either March 18 or on my B-day, May 19th

-Stretching Advice To Share: baby, baby, BABY that hair.  One of the most awesome things I learned was to not focus entirely on the NG, but rather moreso on the ends.  This is the oldest part of the hair follicle and therefore is in need of the most care.  As for the NG, unless softness is a MUST, the scalp tends to naturally lubricate itself with natural oils.  This added to weekly - bi-weekly cowashing, pretty muhc takes care of the NG, but the ends (if not baggied, which my hair hates Angry , or protected) can easily become dry, brittle, and worn all of which leads to breakage.

-Stretching Advice Needed: hmmmmm...Ermm???
kjeneen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 4:35pm

Some of the other helpful tips I learned is:

1) Detangling in the shower becomes a gals best friend after 7 weeks post

2) Coconut Milk does wonders in a deep conditioner for added softness

3) Using a wide toothed-comb and ALWAYS detangling from the ends of the hair is a MUST!!!

oh, and two last things....

4) never underestimate the power of a good vit/sup regimen.  Just my daily intake of fish, EPO, and flaxseed oils alone has done wonders for the texture and feel of my ng. 

5)  the same goes for H2o intake (especially where is involves ng)Wink

Edited by kjeneen - Jan 07 2009 at 4:41pm
JMilz86 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 4:41pm
ok, i have been cowashing like 3-4 times a week and DCing atleast 2x. My NG is suuuuuuuuuuuuper thick and i spritz it daily with rose water/aloe juice! My hair feels healthy for the most part but whenever i come it i lose about 10 or more strands, its not that bad but i do notice the more i stretch, the more i lose! I am keeping the line of demarcation well moisturized but idk, me no likey to shed! LOL. Do you ladies notice more shed hairs during the stretch? I am normally in braids from this point onwards til i relax but i am trying this whole bunning thing!
kjeneen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by JMilz86 JMilz86 wrote:

ok, i have been cowashing like 3-4 times a week and DCing atleast 2x. My NG is suuuuuuuuuuuuper thick and i spritz it daily with rose water/aloe juice! My hair feels healthy for the most part but whenever i come it i lose about 10 or more strands, its not that bad but i do notice the more i stretch, the more i lose! I am keeping the line of demarcation well moisturized but idk, me no likey to shed! LOL. Do you ladies notice more shed hairs during the stretch? I am normally in braids from this point onwards til i relax but i am trying this whole bunning thing!

JMilz86, you may wanna give garlic a try!!  I started taking the capsules sometime this summer while using MT and have not stopped and shedding has not been a problem at all...even during the dreaded "Shed-Season" (which for me is normally late fall - early winter) I experienced little shedding.  Plus you can pick some up anywhere (heck, I got mines from CVS).

But if taking the capsules is not your thing, I've also heard wonders about the garlic shampoos and condish.  I have never tried them but if they work even half as well as the capsules, you won't regret it.
Khaiya View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 5:08pm
Thanks for the advice kjen! You gave a lot of good tips. I've already adopted the low manipulation thing just to retain as much length as i can, but i'm definitely going to try some of the other stuff you mentioned, like the coconut milk.
1Babydimple View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 5:50pm
lndnwll have you tried a scarf bun. When my hair was just ear length I wore scarf buns everyday. I had fabric to match all outfitsLOL This way you can use your moisturizer and protect the ends. Plus I had a "ny tail" wasn't enough for the "po" but the fabric made it look full until I got there. (Perpetrating)  Wink

Also have you tried Aphogee reconstructor for the breakage?
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 154>
  Share Topic