Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Education
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedSTRESSING Work/FT Schooling!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SimplyJess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: STRESSING Work/FT Schooling!
    Posted: Oct 17 2010 at 7:52pm

Do any of you college students work and go to school at the same time?

What are some of your study habits. Im a full time student and i work evryday from 2-7...leaving me with little time to study and its reflecting in my grades, so im considering working three days a week. just until the end of the semester to see how I do on my exams. It's all so very stressful, i've been in college on and off for over 2 1/2 years now, id like to be fully dedicated so I can hurry and finish. Any suggestions, tips, stories? Im open to them.
Sponsored Links

xotiffannyxo View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2010 at 7:55pm
girl i feel your pain!

i work full time and right now im in school part time but i'll be starting back full time in jan. i would just have to say time management. study on breaks at work (if you can), before and after work and as much as possible on the weekends. if you can afford it, cut back your hours. i need to work full time to pay my bills but i would definately put school first if i could afford it.

good luck!
Prize View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 4:07pm
When I was in school.... I worked full time and went to school full time at night ( I studied on the bus, train and a little before bed time) My schedule was crazy work from 9 to 5 and I had to commute all the way to the end of Brooklyn for school. I didn't get out until about 9:30. So the 1.5 hour it took me to get home (I studied) 

I also teamed up with another girl to study afterwards in the library.

After I graduated, I tried to work full time and go to school full time at a 4 year school, but I didn't last too long. I was a walking zombie. Shame to say I dropped out.

Any in between time you have use it to study. Bring your books to work and study during your break too.
Dawn317 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 9:30pm
honestly i couldn't do, its great for everyone that can but i was working a "career" type job that required 120% dedication and my school work suffered..when my boss tried me last week i quit..seems harsh but it wasn't i'm happy with my decision im interviewing all week for PART TIME jobs..
xotiffannyxo View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Dawn317 Dawn317 wrote:

honestly i couldn't do, its great for everyone that can but i was working a "career" type job that required 120% dedication and my school work suffered..when my boss tried me last week i quit..seems harsh but it wasn't i'm happy with my decision im interviewing all week for PART TIME jobs..

ClapClapClap

damn i wish i could be strong like you! my bills are RIDICULOUS and i have no help.. my job requires 150% effort (even on my days off) but i have to give them 65%. i put school on the back burner for too long and my #1 priority is school now
melly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 10:59am
maybe you should switch to part time studies thats what i did.  taking 4 course and working 20  plus hours was too much for me
luvlikehuni21 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 10:19am
I feel ya girl! I take a full load every semester 15-18 credits so it's no way I could work a demanding job right now.  I would suggest you work on campus.  Most jobs on campus work around your schedule, allow you to study during down time, and they are easier to manage than a part time job that you have to drive to daily after class.  I've been working on campus for three years now & I love it.  My job allows me to study, it's convenient b/c right after class is over I can walk to the next building work a few hours then off to my next class!! Go by career services or Human resources at your college. HTH & you do not have to be granted work-study on your fin aid in order to work on campus

Edited by luvlikehuni21 - Dec 01 2010 at 10:20am
Beauty620 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 10:28am

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! THIS IS A VERY GOOD TOPIC, AND I MYSELF NEEDED TO HEAR FEEDBACK ON WHAT SHE SHOULD DO, IT KIND OF HELPS ME OUT WITH MY SITUATION AS WELL, I WILL BE A NEW STUDENT STARTING SCHOOL IN JAN AND I'M LOST ON TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF GOING TO SCHOOL FULL TIME AND WORKING FULL TIME IS A GOOD IDEA....SINGLE MOM W/2 ON TOP OF THAT. SO YOU ALL'S POST WERE HELPFUL TO ME AS WELL :)
buttercup89 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Beauty620 Beauty620 wrote:

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! THIS IS A VERY GOOD TOPIC, AND I MYSELF NEEDED TO HEAR FEEDBACK ON WHAT SHE SHOULD DO, IT KIND OF HELPS ME OUT WITH MY SITUATION AS WELL, I WILL BE A NEW STUDENT STARTING SCHOOL IN JAN AND I'M LOST ON TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF GOING TO SCHOOL FULL TIME AND WORKING FULL TIME IS A GOOD IDEA....SINGLE MOM W/2 ON TOP OF THAT. SO YOU ALL'S POST WERE HELPFUL TO ME AS WELL :)

I don't advise working full time if you're in school for any reason.  I work 2 eight hour shifts on the weekend and 2 4-6 hr shifts during the week.  It works well for me and I'm able to study and do my work.  It also helps to be in touch with professors and attend office hours.
SlimBeauty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 11:22am
I also work full time and am in school full time.  I'm also a mother as well and I have a sick mother. Its extremely hard but I stay encouraged.  I continue to study whenever I have the free time.  I study on my days off.  On my lunch break.  Before and after class.  When I'm with my mom.  Both me and my son have a study time. In the long run it'll be worth it. 
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic