Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Street Harassment: The War On Women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Street Harassment: The War On Women
    Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:23pm
http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/05/street_harassment_one_part_of_the_global_war_on_women.html

I Was Walking Home When the War on Women Got Personal

My Thing Is: The person who slapped me was a random holder of an XY chromosome, but what he did, and the reactions to it, were part of a larger, troubling pattern.

Posted: 

niama_sandy_mythingis

Niama Safia Sandy

JOEY ROSADO/ISLAND BOI PHOTOGRAPHY 

Since I was a young and slightly overdeveloped girl on the streets of Brooklyn, N.Y.'s East Flatbush neighborhood, I've endured street harassment in the form of disrespectful, intimidating, sexualized verbal assaults by strange men. More and more, I've truly begun to understand how my experience is part of a larger troubling pattern.

One incident in particular this past January—and the reactions to it—forced me to contemplate what's happening here. As I made my way home on foot one night, a random holder of an XY chromosome slapped me on the ass, running away like he was Usain Bolt's younger, shorter cousin as I turned to confront him.

It happened less than two blocks from my home—the stretch where you begin to feel that the hardest part of the journey is over. That I was so close to feeling safe made the act all the more a violation. It happened too fast, and I was carrying too many items, for me to do my assailant the physical harm that most people would have agreed the situation justified. The best response I could muster was to yell that he was "a f--king bitch!" as he ran away.

I realized how absurd this incident was. How disempowering. Not just that the man-child thought it was acceptable to put his hands anywhere on a stranger's body without permission. Not that the best reaction I could think of was to attempt to emasculate him with an epithet. Not just that when I shared the story, a male acquaintance tried to convince me that the assault "was a compliment." Not just that a male family member—who has two daughters of his own—mused that the size of my ass would have rendered me incapable of being fast enough to catch up with the violator.

It was that it was so typical. Just after I set about writing about the incident, a friend in London told me of a man who attempted to follow her and force himself on her as she made her way home one Saturday night. She was shaken but thankfully managed to fight him off. She wondered aloud to me if she had somehow done something that had inadvertently invited him into her space. I told her there was nothing she did that justified his actions.

Unfortunately, such is the nature of our collective consciousness regarding violence toward women: Whether victim or almost victim, we often cast the questioning gaze inward rather than outward to the larger values, language and definitions that provide the foundation for our expectations, reactions and ideas of normalcy.

My assault, and my friend's, were symptoms of something bigger. That something is the not-always-literal violence but, rather, the constant lateral and psychological violence that too many of us are subject to daily. It is the assumption that women are somehow tractable and delicate but yet meant to bear the brunt of male aggression—sexual and otherwise. It is the experience of women who are raped and never come forward because they know their deeds and lives will likely be scrutinized more than their attackers' will. It is the slut shaming—by men and women alike—that women endure for seeking pleasure that isn't sanctioned by men or religion, whether through adornment, dance, sex or any of the multitudinous ways a person can truly inhabit her body.

It is that on average, female workers in the United States made 80 percent of what their male counterparts did in 2013. It is the plethora of soldiers around the world who have raped women to demonstrate their power since time immemorial. It is the fact that the phrase "legitimate rape" was ever uttered and entered our consciousness. It is that what women do with their bodies is fodder for political agendas, and yet men's bodies are rarely, if ever, subject to the same levels of policing.

There is an unspoken rule that seems to lead people—not just men—to believe that men's actions are justified regardless of how they affect women. Speaking of this does not make me an angry black woman, a male-basher or the wearer of whatever other tropes you may be able to conjure. It makes me a truth teller, critical of male privilege and the inherent violence it enacts on everything and everyone touched by Western culture—whether tangentially or directly.

Privilege is infectious. It manifests itself in our politics and in our collective consciousness as well as on dark streets close to home, and in women's lives around the world.

Niama Safia Sandy is a Brooklyn, N.Y.-born creative anthropologist, writer and aspiring curator of Caribbean heritage. She is an alumna of Howard University and the School of Oriental and African Studies. Follow her on Twitter
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:23pm

Edited by CherryBlossom - May 07 2014 at 2:24pm
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:29pm
Too long but I harassed some women for rejection before. I felt like an ape and jumped up and down slamming my fist when my feet hit impact on the earth. Drool came out my mouth and foam and my eyes rolled back and I called those women all kinds of foulness.

Joking. I never done such a thing, it's all part of the game. Women do have rights.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:32pm
sigh. one day my bf dropped me off at work, and just as he drove off, a bunch of guys were approaching from the opposite direction, and i had to pass them in order to get on to the premises...as i walked by, they started saying all sorts of things....one called me something so hurtful that the moment i got inside, i had to head for the restroom, where i busted out in tears. I felt like i had been physically attacked,. I called my BF, told him what happened...they were walking up the street, and he swung the car around, blocked their path, and confronted them. Fckers ran in all directions, but he got hold of one, and he nearly pissed his pants. sometimes i wish i could do something to these disrespectful, disgusting men
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:37pm
some of them are wrong and strong and will dare you to be offended
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:44pm
The hell wildfire? Those some bytch ass dudes!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:18pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:25pm
Ignorance. Makes you really want to hurt them in the worst way.

That is no damn compliment, and whomever thinks that is a fool

They should be
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

some of them are wrong and strong and will dare you to be offended

this
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 5:24pm
Someone is all about one-starring things today. Dead
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>