Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Strange-family & ME at odds in death of candidate
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strange-family & ME at odds in death of candidate

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Harmonii View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Harmonii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange-family & ME at odds in death of candidate
    Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 11:55pm
(CNN) - The family of a Mississippi mayoral candidate claimed Sunday that he died after being "beaten, dragged and burned," but it's an account a medical examiner disputed, saying "I don't know where that is coming from."

On Wednesday, authorities found Marco McMillian's body near a levee between Sherard and Rena Lara, two unincorporated communities about 15 minutes from Clarksdale. The 34-year-old McMillian had been running for mayor of Clarksdale, a city of about 18,000 people in northwestern Mississippi's Delta region.

His body was "set afire," according to his family, who said they twice met with a coroner.

Coahoma County Medical Examiner Scotty Meredith told CNN that there were "signs of an altercation," but that didn't kill him.

"Beating is not the cause of death," said Meredith, who confirmed he'd met twice with McMillian's family. "He was beaten, but not badly."

The medical examiner added he didn't know how the family came to the conclusion that McMillian was dragged and burned.

The late politician's family, in the statement released through his former campaign manager Jarod Keith, called for "a full and thorough investigation." They said McMillian had told "family and close friends that he was very concerned for his personal safety."

"We feel that this was not a random act of violence, based on the condition of the body when it was found," they said. "Marco, nor anyone, should have their lives end in this manner."

Yet Meredith insisted "this was not a targeted attack."

"No way," the medical examiner said. "This was more of a personal dispute."

The Coahoma County Sheriff's Office announced on Thursday that a suspect, Lawrence Reed, faces a murder charge in the death.

Reed, 22, was found in McMillian's wrecked SUV on Tuesday morning and was taken to a hospital.

McMillian's Facebook page shows a glimpse at a man who was politically ambitious. It includes a picture of McMillian posing with President Barack Obama. His campaign motto: "Moving Clarksdale forward."

McMillian's short biography on Facebook said he had spent much of his career raising money for universities after he graduated from Jackson State with a degree in elementary education. He also received a master's in philanthropy and development from Saint Mary's University of Minnesota.

In 2004, Ebony magazine recognized him as one of the country's top leaders younger than 30. He received the Thurgood Marshall Prestige Award from the Thurgood Marshall College Fund five years later.

And from 2007 to 2011, McMillian was executive director of his fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma, which after his death recalled how he'd "made an incredible difference in his community." He secured the first federal contract to raise awareness about HIV and AIDS among African-Americans for the fraternity and helped it form partnerships with organizations such as the U.S. Marine Corps and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in discussing the disease.

Patricia McMillian said that even though media reports since her son's death have labeled him as openly gay, his death likely had nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

Without offering specifics, the family said Sunday that it hoped to share information from the ongoing investigation in order "to dispel speculations surrounding his death."
Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 5:23pm
Beaten and burned but that wasn't the cause of death? Geez.Cry

I hope Reed starts talking because it sounds like he knew the mayor McMillian prior to killing him...
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:21pm
Where is the FBI ?  I guess working on more ways to cause more pain for Whitney Houston family .
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:26pm
I'ma keep my thoughts to myself
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 2:39pm
bump..
FarrahTheLibra View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarrahTheLibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 3:50pm
The way the title was written I thought you were involved OP
FarrahTheLibra View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarrahTheLibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 3:50pm
This is a very strange story. So weird that their stories differ like that.
sistagal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistagal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by FarrahTheLibra FarrahTheLibra wrote:

The way the title was written I thought you were involved OP

Lmao! I thought the same thing
Harmonii View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 4:18pm
I realized that too. For some reason I can't edit the title.
I was trying to abbreviate
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System