BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Storms in Midwest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storms in Midwest
    Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 5:55pm
I hope the BHMers in that region can check in and let us know how its going...

'The whole neighborhood's gone': Deadly storm leaves path of destruction in Midwest

Anthony Khoury / @AnthonyKhoury20

Damage from a severe storm that ripped through Washington, Ill.

By Alastair Jamieson and Elisha Fieldstadt, NBC News

Fifty-three million people across the United States were in harm’s way as a powerful storm system raged across the Midwest on Sunday, spawning deadly tornadoes that left a path of destruction in parts of central Illinois.

A tornado outbreak was likely to hit the Chicago area, according to the Storm Prediction Center. The possible tornadoes are part of a storm system that is also expected to bring damaging high winds. The Weather Channel's Mike Seidel and TODAY's Dylan Dreyer report.

Washington, Ill., near Peoria, was particularly hard hit, with one resident saying his neighborhood was wiped out in seconds. Emergency crews were going door to door through the damaged neighborhood in search of victims. 

At least three people in Illinois, including an elderly brother and sister, were killed in the storm, officials said.

"I stepped outside, and I heard it coming. My daughter was already in the basement, so I ran downstairs and grabbed her, crouched in the laundry room, and all of a sudden I could see daylight up the stairway, and my house was gone," Michael Perdun told The Associated Press. "The whole neighborhood's gone, (and) the wall of my fireplace is all that is left of my house."

An elderly brother and sister who lived in a farmhouse near New Minden, Ill., were killed in the storm, Washington County Coroner Mark Styninger said. The man, 80, was pronounced dead at the scene, and his sister, 78, was pronounced dead at a local hospital on Sunday.

One fatality was confirmed in Brookport, Ill, said Charles Taylor, spokesman for Massac County Emergency Management. No details were available.

By early evening, with communications difficult and many roads impassable, it remained unclear precisely many people were hurt, but some 37 people were injured and taken to St. Francis Hospital in Peoria, where seven were reported to be trauma patients. In a news release, the Illinois National Guard said it had dispatched 10 firefighters and three vehicles to Washington to assist with "immediate search and recovery operations in the tornado-damaged area."

Numerous injuries were also reported in Massac County.

At NBC affiliate WEEK-TV in Peoria, newscasters had to go off the air abruptly as they realized they themselves were in the path of the twister. According to the NWS, the station’s building sustained roof damage. 

In Tazewell County, central Illinois, emergency crews were responding a tornado that flattened homes in several neighborhoods. The cities with reported damage include Washington, Perkin and East Peoria, county spokeswoman Sara Sparkman told NBC News. Pictures from Washington showed an expansive trail of wood debris from homes torn apart as the twister laid waste to one neighborhood.

East Peoria Mayor Dave Mingus said about 100 homes were damaged in his city of more than 23,000 residents, with 25 to 50 destroyed and uninhabitable.

The Red Cross was working with the county to open up shelters in the area for families whose homes were damaged. 

NBC Chicago reported that at least 10 tornadoes had touched down in the state.

At least 83,000 customers were without electrical power Sunday evening, most of those in the Peoria area, said Jonathon Moken, emergency agency spokesman.

Rescue teams are deploying to multiple areas across Illinois, focusing on the hard-hit Washington and Gifford areas, Moken said.

In Chicago, the Bears versus Baltimore Ravens game was postponed due to the weather, and the seating area at Soldier Field was evacuated, according to team officials. The game resumed at about 2:20 p.m. CDT after nearly a two-hour postponement.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn warned residents that the weather and storms across the state were “very serious.”

"I urge everyone to pay attention to all weather alerts and stay home and inside if possible,” Quinn said in a statement. “Driving during these severe conditions is extremely dangerous. All residents should stay off the roads until these storms and flood warnings subside."

"We obviously have a very dangerous situation on our hands and it's just getting started," Laura Furgione, deputy director of the National Weather Service, said earlier.

She added, "Get ready now." 

Parts of the Great Lakes, Ohio Valley, lower-middle Mississippi Valley and Tennessee Valley were among the areas most at risk for widespread damaging winds and possible tornadoes, experts with the Weather Channel said.

The highest threat area for tornadoes was eastern Illinois into Indiana, southern Michigan, western Kentucky and western Ohio, but dangerous winds were also a concern as the storms move across the Appalachians as well as parts of the Northeast into early Monday, the National Weather Service said.

Winds and hail could cause downed trees and scattered power outages, including to areas such as Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo.

Russell Schneider, a director at the National Weather Service, warned that the storm would move rapidly and might quickly progress from one location to the next.

“Fifty three million people over ten states are at severe risk,” said Schneider.

“Do not wait for visual confirmation of the threat” he advised residents of the Midwest.

"People can fall into complacency because they don't see severe weather and tornadoes, but we do stress that they should keep a vigilant eye on the weather and have a means to hear a tornado warning because things can change very quickly," said Matt Friedlein, another meteorologist with the Weather Service, told The Associated Press.

The Weather Channel predicted the storm would diminish as it moves east through Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey, but high winds could reach as far as New York on Monday morning.

Sponsored Links

HowardAlumAKA View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowardAlumAKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:09pm
That's so scary
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:14pm
My area is under watch until 3am... its been dark/black out since 2pm
patternsandtexture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patternsandtexture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:15pm
I'm okay.
LovesHim View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LovesHim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:17pm
I almost got blown off the road tryna get home from watching The Best Man..... 
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:20pm
and just like that it just started hailing hardcore...
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:20pm
I slept through it.
Slept good as hell too.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:20pm
Damn, stay safe y'all.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 6:21pm
I live like 20 min from Washington.
My mom was trying to get in contact with her friends over there.
tropical-punch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tropical-punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2013 at 7:53pm
there was a point when I couldn't see while driving because it was raining that hard.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic