Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stop my braids/twist from unraveling? and rant....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedStop my braids/twist from unraveling? and rant....

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Mrs.Me View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stop my braids/twist from unraveling? and rant....
    Posted: May 28 2011 at 10:35pm
I've been natural on and off since 2006.  The reason I can't stay natural is I don't have patience or talent doing my hair.  My hair is only about 3 to 5 inches long depending on what part of my head it is.   The middle seems to grow fastest, then the back and the front grows like frozen molasses.  

Well the only regimen that is working for me is keeping it braided or twisted up and wearing a wig. But after all these years of trying I can't seem to keep my braids or twist from unraveling.  I know I can't use rubber bands to secure the ends because that will cause breakage. 

I'm really trying not to hate my hair but the only reason I'm not reaching for the relaxer this time is because I'm pregnant.  I would get braids but I can't braid and I can't afford for anyone to do it for me.  Its not out of lack of trying.  I've taken 2 braiding classes and watched every YouTube video I could find and I can't braid worth a dime.  So I have to just stick with the method that I can do.  I get most of my hair braided but the ends unravel as soon as I let go.  I'm concerned about my ends breaking off.  I do baggy every night and haven't had any major breakage since I've been natural again. (11 months so far the longest I've ever made it natural was 15 months).  I have no relaxed ends because I didn't transition.  I just shaved my head last summer after a botched job of trimming my ends on my almost apl relaxed hair.  

I'm sorry for the long rant.  I'm just so frustrated and my hair isn't even long yet.  I'm trying to love my hair but its really hard for me.  But back to my original question how can I keep my ends from unraveling?

I have 4b/c hair if that matters at all.  
Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 10:55pm
Mrs, first CONGRATS on the bebeClap! I so feel you on the not being able to braid. I can plait my butt off; but braids are a no go. Do you plait and/ or braid all the way to the end? When I do my plaitouts, I try to plait all the way to the end and I will put a satin foamed or sponge curler on the end of the plait. I have also found that putting some Eco gel and Vaseline on the end before the roller helps keep the ends from unraveling. HTHBig smile
Mrs.Me View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 11:10pm
Thank you.  Smile I can plait just fine too.   I'll try the roller method tomorrow night.  I don't know why I didn't think of that before.  Duh!!  LOL
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 11:26pm
You know they say babies take the Momma's memoryLOL! I know my lil man diid. Could n't  member where my key or glasses were b/c of that boyLOL. Aww, its ok!!!
Feroglobin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 2:17pm
Hmm maybe some gel mixed with oil. Maybe try smaller twists

I have 4b/4c and my ends usually want to unravel when my hair is even. That's why don't bother with keeping even hair.

Is your hair really blunt?
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 9:44am
if you have 4b/4c hair, your hair shouldn't be unraveling generally....maybe you are doing your twists/braids too big?  have you tried making them smaller?  what are you twist/braiding with? 

for your twists, try twisting to the end and then twirling the hair around your finger when you can't twist the strands anymore...that helps to keep the ends together.

and as for length, your hair can't be super long with just 11 months of growth.  be patient and caring with your hair and you will see results in due time. :-)
Fashionista922 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

if you have 4b/4c hair, your hair shouldn't be unraveling generally....maybe you are doing your twists/braids too big?  have you tried making them smaller?  what are you twist/braiding with? 

for your twists, try twisting to the end and then twirling the hair around your finger when you can't twist the strands anymore...that helps to keep the ends together.

and as for length, your hair can't be super long with just 11 months of growth.  be patient and caring with your hair and you will see results in due time. :-)

I agree with twirling the ends^
teendiva View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 8:14pm
Aw, I totally know how you feel!

Instead of twisting your hair under a wig, wear cornrows. I'm sure you can get them for a reasonable price at a barber college.

So are you just talking about braiding your hair at night before going to sleep? You can try putting a duckbill clip at the root of the braid and another at the bottom.

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic