Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Keep IT REAL!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedStereotypes.

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
CherryCola View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereotypes.
    Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 3:01pm
Stereotypes really annoy me.  There are actually some people that believe that black women are golddiggers or light skin people are superior and stuck-up.  Censored 

Also, I'm an only child and even that's a stereotype. 

For example:

Myth #1.  Being an only child is "boring" or "lonely."  Uh, unless a child is locked in their bedroom with no television, no telephone, no computer or books and magazines, never allowed to go outside, doesn't go to school, doesn't visit friends and relatives or have guests over, I don't see how an only child could be "bored" or "lonely."  Good grief, people with siblings get lonely and bored.  It has nothing to do with having siblings or not, but rather you are a hermit, anti-social, with zero interests in life.

Myth #2.  Only children are spoiled and selfish.  This is laughable.  There are many people with siblings who are spoiled and selfish.  For example, what about the many cases of one child forced to take care of ailing parents because their (selfish) siblings refuse to help out.  And some women brag about being spoiled by their husbands with attention and money (especially if he has a good job) or they even say that they were spoiled by their older sibings growing up.  So apparently you can be spoiled and have siblings.  So why pick on the only child?   

Myth #3.  Only children lack social skills.  Again, stupid.  People with siblings can lack social skills as well, or can be shy or anti-social.   For example, Latoya Jackson states that all her siblings are shy because they take after their mother, Katherine, who is not an only child.  I know people who say they wish they had better social skills and more outgoing like their brother or sister.  And then you have only children who are very outgoing or social butterflies....for example, Missy Elliot, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jill Scott, Arsenio Hall, and Ice-T.  None of these celebrities are shy or lack social skills, and they don't have siblings.  

Myth #4. Only children don't know how to share.  Having siblings does not mean you will automatically know how to share or want to share with others.  I have a cousin, who is very stingy, and she has a twin brother.  Sharing is a people thing.  It has nothing to do with having siblings or not.

And recently I was at a beauty shop and someone commented that Betty White is an only child, and one of the beauticians said "No wonder she's crazy!"  WTF! Angry

Personally, I don't see Betty White as "crazy."  However, lots of people think Charlie Sheen acts a bit crazy and he is definitely not an only child.  Go figure!

Sponsored Links

xoxoLove-Sophie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 3:08pm
Im not the only child,but I know what you mean...Before I was born,my sister had EVERYTHING. Then I came and messed everything up LOL But really,it all comes down to how you are raised. 
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 3:09pm
I had 8 siblings and I still lack social skills. Cry
Brilaw View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 3:23pm
I agree with your post..lack of social skills, selfishness and loneliness are some things that can often arise from the exact opposite of being an only child. When you're in a big family you can often find that not sharing is sometimes not an option. For myself and my siblings (I have 3 sisters and a 1 younger brother) being selfish as an adult is common.. I think that we resent having to share so much when we were younger that we can selfish as hell now. Also, to the stereotype that loneliness is common to people without siblings - I know for a fact that the exact opposite can be true. I have never felt the loneliness that I felt my year in college living far away from my twin sister. I think if I had been an only child I would have been able to cope with being alone much better than I actually did ( I got a boyfriend Ermm). I blame this on my need to have really loved ones near to feel at ease... sad thing is one of my older sisters recently have a daughter and although she's in a rocky relationship with my niece's father, she wants more children soon w/ him because she buys into some of these stereotypes Confused

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Brilaw Brilaw wrote:

I agree with your post..lack of social skills, selfishness and loneliness are some things that can often arise from the exact opposite of being an only child. When you're in a big family you can often find that not sharing is sometimes not an option. For myself and my siblings (I have 3 sisters and a 1 younger brother) being selfish as an adult is common.. I think that we resent having to share so much when we were younger that we can selfish as hell now. Also, to the stereotype that loneliness is common to people without siblings - I know for a fact that the exact opposite can be true. I have never felt the loneliness that I felt my year in college living far away from my twin sister. I think if I had been an only child I would have been able to cope with being alone much better than I actually did ( I got a boyfriend Ermm). I blame this on my need to have really loved ones near to feel at ease...

Very good point, Brilaw.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Brilaw Brilaw wrote:

sad thing is one of my older sisters recently have a daughter and although she's in a rocky relationship with my niece's father, she wants more children soon w/ him because she buys into some of these stereotypes Confused

Yeah.  That is sad.  If your sister doesn't know an only children personally, maybe some examples of successful and happy only children will make her feel better.

A list of celebrities who are only children:

Here's a list:

Lou Diamond Phillips (Ritchie Valens, LaBamba)

Andre 3000 (r&b group Outcast)

Nelson Mandela

John Singleton

The Rock

Judge Joe Brown

Laz Alonso (Groom in "Jump The Broom")

Ciara

Missy Elliot

Idris Elba

Ice-T

Arsenio Hall

Elvis Presley

Kerry Washington

Lauren London

Samuel L. Jackson

Louis Gossett JR.

Jill Scott

Angie Stone

Grant Hill

Ludacris

JaRule

Afernee Hardaway

50 Cent

Notorious BIG

Kanye West

Lebron James

Ciara

Rah Di

DMX

LL Cool J

Lenny Kravitz

Jermaine Dupri

Richard Pryor

Sammi Davis Jr.

Taraji P. Henson

Betty White

Kareem Abdul- Jabaar

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Frank Sinatra

Robert Redford

Clark Gable

Cary Grant

Gregory Peck

Robert Culp (I Spy and The Greatest American Hero)

Chelesea Clinton

Selena Gomez

Robert Reed (Brady Bunch Dad)

Al Pacino

Jaleel White (Urkel, Family Matters)

Nicole Ari Parker (Soul Food, Boris Kodjoe's wife)

Teddy Pendergrass

Anita Baker

Leanne Rimes

Lawrence Fishburne

Kim Porter (Puff Daddy's ex)

Diane Lane (Six Pack and Unfaithful)

Gary Coleman

Rock Hudson

Kirk Franklin

Bebe Moore Campbell

Danielle Steele

Andy Griffin

Jackie Wilson

Lee Majors (Six Million Dollar Man, Fall Guy, and Farrah Fawcett's ex-husband)

B.B. King

Lena Horne

Merlin Santanna (Romeo, Steve Harvey Show)

Kadeem Hardison (Dwayne Wayne, Different World)

Malcolm Jamal-Warner (Theo Huxtable, Cosby Show)

Isabel Sanford (Louis Jefferson, The Jeffersons)

Karyn Parsons (Hilary, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)

Condoleeza Rice

Holly Marie Coombs (Piper, Charmed)

Leonardo Di Caprio

Natalie Portman

Teri Hatcher (Susan, Desperate Housewives and Lois Lane, The Adventures of Lois & Clark)

Robert Ri'chard (Arnez, One on One)

Freddie Prinze JR. (Sarah Michelle Gellar's husband)

James Brown

Matthew Pery (Friends)

Pierce Brosnan (James Bond, Remington Steele)

Joy Behar (the View)

Laura Bush

Nancy Reagan

Tipper Gore

Charlene Tilton (Lucy Ewing, Dallas)

Judith Light (Angela, Who's The Boss and Karen Wolek, One Life to Live)

Julia Barr (Brooke English, All My Children)

Tristan Rogers (Robert Scorpio/General Hospital, Colin/Young & The Restless)

Omar Epps (I read in a Jet interview where he stated he was an only child, but some say he has a brother, but I guess I'll go by what Omar says).

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 9:00pm
Also:

Vivian Leigh (Scarlett O' Hara, Gone With the Wind)

Shelly Long (Cheers and The mother in the Brady Bunch movies)
GeeGeeMaria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 10:48am
Yeah stereotypes suck
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 5:16pm
A stereotype - adopted children will never love the family who adopted them and will always look for their biological family. Although this does happen, I know people who are adopted who love their family and have no desire to find their biological family. They just don't see a reason to when they have a loving family. 

I've told people I wanted to adopt, and people would always be like they won't love you, they'll leave you and look for their real family... blah blah blah...
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic