BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Starting over in a new city

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting over in a new city
    Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 9:08am
Has anyone here moved cross - country, either with or without a job already lined up? For those who moved without a job, did you have a lot in savings,  or did you save a few month's worth of bills and hope for the best?

I am planning to move from D.C. to L.A. this fall (first big move as an adult) and would like some advice on how to go about things. 
Sponsored Links

Beauty620 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beauty620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 9:14am
Good question....something I need to know as well.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 12:41pm
I believe you need to have at least 6 months living expenses saved.

Not sure of DC. But it is said the cost of living in LA is fairly high. I live here and have nothing to compare it to.

It may help if you have friend or family to stay with until you find employment.

Knowing of the employment possibilities available in your field.

Definitely need a car

Good Luck
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 12:52pm
Will you be alone or with family??

Research the area where you plan to live, checking the crime rates. The strange thing about LA is there area beautiful areas to live however if you go a few extra blocks you can find yourself in some not so nice areas.

If this move is for school, check the school resource center for things to do and areas to avoid. Californians smile a lot but most aren't sincere.

Best Wishes.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by juicifruit89 juicifruit89 wrote:

Has anyone here moved cross - country, either with or without a job already lined up? For those who moved without a job, did you have a lot in savings,  or did you save a few month's worth of bills and hope for the best?

I am planning to move from D.C. to L.A. this fall (first big move as an adult) and would like some advice on how to go about things. 

LA can be quite expensive even when living in a poor neighborhood. Make sure you check listings for places to live. Do you have a plan? Where do you like to work, go to school? You can do this on a whim but it can determine if you will struggle or thrive.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:29pm
L.A. is pricey, you better have plenty of money saved. Do you have a job awaiting you in here?
If not, at least 6 months savings that includes enough to cover rent, food, transportation and small expenses seeking a job are needed. Make sure to research before you sign the papers to rent an apartment - some places are scarier at night, but apartment showings is only until 5pm.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:31pm
I have aunts and. cousins here,  but I will probably room with a roommate for a few months (their home was damaged in a fire so they are in a temp house until rebuilding is  complete).
I prefer to have a job before moving to CA, but employers are a bit wary of out of state candidates ( I work in Human Resources). I'm done with my bachelors,  and I want to settle in before pursuing further schooling

D.C. rents may be comparable to L.A rents, with an avg of 1300-1600 for a one bedroom, and most folks paying between $800-$1000 for a roommate situation. 

Edited by juicifruit89 - Jun 12 2014 at 1:34pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:39pm
Also, are areas like Silverlake, Manhattan Beach and Huntington Beach too ridiculously priced,  or is it doable with a roommate? 

ED: Culver City looked okay during the day, but it could be a potentially shady area at night?

Edited by juicifruit89 - Jun 12 2014 at 1:41pm
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:42pm

Also, are areas like Silverlake, Manhattan Beach and Huntington Beach too ridiculously priced,  or is it doable with a roommate? 

ED: Culver City looked okay during the day, but it could be a potentially shady area at night?

Yes, a roommate would be best. Cool, the prices you quoted are accurate and you may even find places cheaper than that.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2014 at 1:44pm

Not, really Culver city is a pretty good place to live. The prices for the places are ridiculous, meaning the rooms are really small. What about around Venice or Fairfaix, or Santa Monica?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>