Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Starbucks Workers to get FREE Bachelor's Degrees
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starbucks Workers to get FREE Bachelor's Degrees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starbucks Workers to get FREE Bachelor's Degrees
    Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:01pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/06/15/starbucks-to-offer-employees-free-tuition-to-complete-online-bachelors-degree/

Starbucks is planning to announce on Monday a new plan to offer full tuition reimbursement to thousands of  its employees to complete a bachelor’s degree online — with no mandate to stay with the company after graduation.

The Starbucks College Achievement Plan, in collaboration with Arizona State University, will be announced in New York by Starbucks chief Howard Schultz, along with U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and ASU President Michael Crow. ASU has one of the country’s largest online degree programs, offering some 40 different majors for undergraduates.

Under the plan, some part-time and full-time employees of Starbucks will be eligible for differing amounts of tuition reimbursement. Here’s how the plan will work, according to a Starbucks press release:

Through this innovative collaboration, partners based in the U.S. working an average of 20 hours per week at any company-operated store (including Teavana®, La Boulange®, Evolution Fresh™ and Seattle’s Best Coffee® stores) may choose from more than 40 undergraduate degree programs taught by ASU’s award-winning faculty such as electrical engineering, education, business and retail management. Partners admitted to ASU as a junior or senior will earn full tuition reimbursement for each semester of full-time coursework they complete toward a bachelor’s degree. Freshmen and sophomores will be eligible for a partial tuition scholarship and need-based financial aid for two years of full-time study. Partners will have no commitment to remain at the company past graduation.

Under the plan, students will be given support through dedicated enrollment coaches, financial aid counselors and academic advisors, the release says.

Why is Starbucks doing this? Schultz explained in the statement:

“In the last few years, we have seen the fracturing of the American Dream. There’s no doubt, the inequality within the country has created a situation where many Americans are being left behind. The question for all of us is, should we accept that, or should we try and do something about it. . Supporting our partners’ [employees'] ambitions is the very best investment Starbucks can make. Everyone who works as hard as our partners do should have the opportunity to complete college, while balancing work, school and their personal lives.”

Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:01pm
I was just talking about how much their drinks suck but this is good.
I'll make use of my gift card now
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:02pm
wow, this is awesome...they already pay more than your typical fast food job.  

i hope this puts pressure on McDonald's, Taco Bell, et al
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:02pm
Now I'll feel even better about buying their drinks. I can't even consider it overpriced anymore if it's supporting good health benefits, employment for veterans, education, and environmental concerns.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:05pm
with no mandate to stay with the company?
oh yes, I like that.
I might buy their kcups from now on lol
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:07pm
That's good!!!

Still probably won't be buying anythin from there lol
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:07pm
Cool.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:09pm
aw thats so nice

i like starbucks and chick fil a ...the people that work there are usually super friendly and nice 

that speaks volumes

mcdonalds and all those other crap places have some of the rudest people 
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:09pm
This really sets the standard. For a company to be willing to help create an educated workforce without financial burden, that truly says something.

I love my Coffee Bean, but Starbucks is where I'll be.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

aw thats so nice

i like starbucks and chick fil a ...the people that work there are usually super friendly and nice 

that speaks volumes

mcdonalds and all those other crap places have some of the rudest people 

those kids working at chick fila are almost too pleasant if you ask me.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic