Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedStand Your Ground Doesnt Apply To You!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stand Your Ground Doesnt Apply To You!
    Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:04pm
Sign the petition! :  http://www.change.org/petitions/commute-the-25-year-mandatory-minimum-sentence-for-michael-giles

Commute the 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence for Michael Giles

Commute the 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence for Michael Giles

Three years ago my son Michael was attacked outside of a club in Tallahassee, FL. His attacker admitted in open court that he attacked Michael with no provocation.

Michael's attacker admitted he was angry that someone had interrupted his dance, and wanted to hurt the next person he saw. That next person standing to the side, not partaking in the violence, was Michael. His attacker was not fighting alone, state witnesses testified that there were between 30-40 people involved in the brawl. The state’s own witnesses also testified that the aggressor instigated several other fights that night, and was acting erratically and violently. His attacker’s own friend testified she was worried the aggressor would kill or seriously injure someone. In comparison, state witnesses testified that Michael, was calmly standing to the side, and did nothing to provoke the attack.

My husband and I are proud military veterans, with a combined 40 years of service, and we were proud when our son also chose to serve his country. Michael completed a tour in Iraq and Kuwait and was looking forward to furthering his career in the military, but now all of that has changed. We believe that we have raised a good man. He had no prior criminal offenses, no history of violence, and was a outstanding father and Airman. So we do not understand how the state of Florida could sentence him to a mandatory 25 years for defending himself.

Michael has been trained to analyze threats and believed at that moment he needed to defend himself. He realized that his attacker and his attacker’s friends had the upper-hand in numbers and he could have been seriously injured or killed. In his desperate attempt to gain the opportunity to get to his feet and flee, he fired his legally registered weapon and accidentally struck, but did not seriously injure, his attacker in the leg. Despite overwhelming evidence from state witnesses that Michael was attacked first without provocation, and the fact that he did not continue firing, and removed himself from the immediate area as soon as he could. Michael was not offered a plea from the state. He was thus charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon causing bodily harm & sentenced to a mandatory minimum of 25 years in prison. His Judge stated “Frankly, I think the 25-year mandatory is overly harsh based on the facts of this case, but that’s what the law requires I do and I intend to follow the law.” The officer who prepared Michael's sentencing recommendation, recommended Michael be given probation due to her investigation. She felt that Michael would be an ideal candidate for probation, thus saving tax payers money. The state rejected her professional recommendation and pushed for the 25 years. 
Michael is a good man, he is honest, he is hard working and through all of this he is our rock and confidence we need to keep fighting. He is afraid that he will miss his children grow up.

Our family just does not understand how a man who proudly fought for his country, and spent 6 years proudly serving as a U.S Airman, could lose the right to live his life for defending himself. The fact is, Michael was attacked, and he was afraid the group fighting would kill him. He fired his legally registered weapon to gain the opportunity to run, from somewhere he had the legal right to be. His attacker not only attacked him but he admitted to attacking others that night. 
This sentence has destroyed our family and we hope you will sign this petition to ask Governor Rick Scott and the Clemency Board to commute the sentence of Michael Giles. 

To: 
Governor Rick Scott of Florida 
We respectfully request you to commute the sentence for Michael Giles who is currently serving a 25 year mandatory minimum sentence in the state of Florida. 

Michael was an upstanding Airman, and dedicated father, who believed he was in the right to defend himself. We ask that the Florida Clemency Board to waive the stipulation of him serving one-half of a minimum mandatory sentence and be immediately consider before the Clemency Board. 

Sincerely, 
[Your name]

Edited by Az~Maverick - Sep 18 2013 at 4:08pm
Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:08pm
I'll sign and post it on FB.Stern Smile

I just heard a stat this morning.

Killings by Whites Deemed “Justified” Far more Often than Killings by Blacks

Friday, July 19, 2013
Killings by Whites Deemed “Justified” Far more Often than Killings by Blacks

Among homicide shootings in the United States, there is a wide discrepancy in those incidents deemed justified if the shooter is white and the victim black, compared to the other way around.

In cases with a white shooter and a white victim, the shooting is ruled to be justified less than 2% of the time, according to data contained in Supplemental Homicide Reports submitted by local law enforcement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation between 2005 and 2010.

When the shooter is black and the victim is white, the rate of justifiable homicide rulings drops to almost 1%.

But if the shooter is white and the victim is black, the killing is ruled justified in 9.5% of cases in non-Stand Your Ground (SYG) states.

In SYG states, the rate is even higher—almost 17%, according to John Roman at MetroTrends Blog.

In firearm-related killings in which the shooter and the victim are strangers, such as the George Zimmerman-Trayvon Martin case, Roman notes that “a little less than 3 percent of black-on-white homicides are ruled to be justified. When the races are reversed, the percentage of cases that are ruled to be justified climbs to more than 29 percent in non-SYG states and almost 36 percent in SYG states.”

http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/killings-by-whites-deemed-justified-far-more-often-than-killings-by-blacks-170719?news=850607

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:10pm
Our family just does not understand how a man who proudly fought for his country, and spent 6 years proudly serving as a U.S Airman, could lose the right to live his life for defending himself.

I hope she meant to say they do understand because I do.  Yeah they know but I guess you can't really say that to yt peopleOuch
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:12pm
We need to start our own NRA. Bet things would change then. Smdh....
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:15pm
*sighs*  *signed*
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:15pm
We's about to get turnt up! Angry
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:23pm
smh. 

Addicted19034 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 4:38pm
Wow

I can't even...smh
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 5:07pm
Welp, here we go... I will be signing/sending once I go home.
Chantal34 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2013 at 5:14pm
Signed
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic