Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Skin Care > Oily Skin
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spironolactone for hormonal acne/oily skin (long)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedSpironolactone for hormonal acne/oily skin (long)

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Gemini26 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spironolactone for hormonal acne/oily skin (long)
    Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 4:03pm
Hello ladies!

I'm in the BEST mood ever because of the knew medication that I was recently prescribed by my derm.  I was going to wait to post about it because I've only been on it for a week, but I'm too excited to wait!  Let me give you a little background info on my acne situation.  I'm 30 yrs old and have been battling acne and extremely oily skin for at least the last 15 years.  I have tried everything that you can think of and nothing has worked.  I figured out a long time ago that my acne was probably hormonal bcus I started growing facial hair (I've been gettn laser hair rmvl for that) and I usually break out around my jawline and my cheeks and its usually cystic (ouch!Ouch). 

My skin/scalp are always VERY OILY!  Its so bad that I have to constantly wash my hair and if I get a sew-in weave (which is what I usually get to protect my natural hair) I have to take it down within a few weeks bcus of the constant washing.  If I don't wash my weaves every couple of days the style starts to look weighed down from the oiliness on my skin.  This happens no matter what the quality of the hair is.  Having acne and oily skin are about the only things that I can truly say that I have been self-conscious about bcus I couldn't control it. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I broke up with a boyfriend and almost lost a job behind someone questioning me about my oily skin (Yeah, straight ignorant, I knowWacko). 

Anyway, let me move this along.  Since I have been in Dallas I have been going to the one derm that specializes in African-American skin in the area.  Anyone that is from Dallas knows that this doctor gives everybody the same treatment which consists of his own line of topical cream, and it dosen't work for every1!  I finally found a new derm and as soon as I walked in he asked me a couple of questions and instantly knew I was dealing with hormonal acne.  He prescribed me .05% tazorac once a day, clinac (topical) twice a day, and 25mg of spironolactone which is the generic of aldactone twice a day. He told me that spironolactone is a high blood pressure med but it is used to treat hormonal acne in women and transgender men take it while transitioning bcus it is an androgen/testosterone blocker.  I had never heard of spironolactone or spiro so I went home and googled its use for acne.  I found several reviews especially on acne.org.  Its better to take it along with birth control pills but its not required. 

Within the first 2 days of taking it I went from having extremely oily skin to having just enough oil on my skin to keep it soft.  Its too soon to know what its going to do for my acne but the fact that it has cut down my oil production by about 85%, I would have to guess that I'm going to have less acne bcus I'm producing less sebum/oil. Spiro is a diuretic so I have to stay hydrated (but I'm less bloated) and I am having a little fatigue.  Other than the frequent trips to the restroom and the slight fatigue I'm VERY pleased thus far.  I go back to the derm in 3 wks for a follow up and a possible increase in the dosage.  I'll keep u guys posted and if I build up enough courage while my skin is clearing up I'll post before and after pics of my acne scarred skin.  There are some negative side effects associated with taking spiro but you'll have to do ur research and weigh the benefits of taking spiro against the possible side effects.  Well, good luck ladies and ask ur dermatologist about it, and if anyone has already tried it please share your experience. Smile
Sponsored Links

Malexandre View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 7:54pm
Any update? Two years leater ?
ermahampton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 1:08am
I was prescribed spironolatone 100mg (http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/spironolactone.shtml) for my acne breakouts around my chin and jaw line some other areas also. I use this in combination with aczone and they are a great team together...Amazing and fast results. I also have very oily skin along with big pores and it has decreased my pores and I have very little oil now. I'm amazed and very happy.

Edited by ermahampton - Jan 21 2015 at 1:09am
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2015 at 9:56pm
I used to use this stuff a long time ago. They are just water pills. They worked in conjunction with other stuff, but after a while it does nothing. Just drink more water and evening primrose oil (1300 mg). 
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic