Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spinoff: Why are online schools less respected?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Spinoff: Why are online schools less respected?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dijah.love View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dijah.love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 12:39am
can't be hands on online...'

and google is always there
Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 12:41am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Silly question: How do online schools conduct tests to ensure students know the material before passing them? Every test is open book/notes right? No way you can fail unless you just don't do the assignments?

...Nothin' like an open note test.Evil Smile

LOL i always used my books/notes for online tests.  the time limits are generous enough that you can get away without studying at all.

at a time when my physical course load was heavy, i thought i was lucky to find an online version of a required special edu course i had to take.  i feel like i did myself a huge disservice by not taking the on campus version.
lanae View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 12:43am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Silly question: How do online schools conduct tests to ensure students know the material before passing them? Every test is open book/notes right? No way you can fail unless you just don't do the assignments?

...Nothin' like an open note test.Evil Smile

For the online couse i took, the test was timed pretty strictly (like maybe 30 seconds per question) so if you didnt know it, you just didnt know it. No time to fumble through a book trying to find the answer. But I definetly got around it and im sure other students have
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 12:45am
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

online versions of established physical schools are respected
These are, but I think they still require some time on campus. At least 1 class 

Not always true. There are a few here that don't and they aren't rinky dink schools either.

As far as nursing, there are quite a few online RN-BSN and RN-MSN schools that are respected. A lot of them have no clinical component because that requirement was met through the previous RN education and experience.

What I find to be an issue is the perception that it is inherently easier than a brick and mortar school. I think that degrees from the for-profit online schools are respected less.
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 12:47am
Also, many schools require proctored exams where you either report to an official testing center or they monitor you via webcam.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 12:48am
IA Wonderland. I miss the additional information teachers would give from personal experience when taking online courses. If I could do it again, I would only do online courses in my senior year after I learned how to manage my time better.

Anyone remember when they told you to only to bring in 1 sheet or 1 note card with hand written notes? And *some* people would bring in cards full of microscopic hand written notes?Embarrassed

ETA: Thanks Lanae! 30 seconds?! That's not enough time to che-I mean think about the question thoughtfully before selecting the correct answer.

Edited by carolina cutie - May 05 2013 at 12:50am
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 1:00am
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

online versions of established physical schools are respected
These are, but I think they still require some time on campus. At least 1 class 

Not always true. There are a few here that don't and they aren't rinky dink schools either.

As far as nursing, there are quite a few online RN-BSN and RN-MSN schools that are respected. A lot of them have no clinical component because that requirement was met through the previous RN education and experience.

What I find to be an issue is the perception that it is inherently easier than a brick and mortar school. I think that degrees from the for-profit online schools are respected less.
My professors, hospital professionals and the higher ups at my school look down on RN-MSN programs for the reasons I listed. This guy that works at a big hospital here in NYC went along with that too. He drove in that after we get our BSN that we shouldnt have to pay for our MSN or Phd's afterward, that whatever hospital we work for should pay every cent. Also a professor told me about how this lady that she graduated with had a 2.5 average, so no school would accept her into their MSN program. So her only bet was an online school bc they were more lax with their acceptance standards Confused
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 1:02am
I swear every time I come to BHM I have a posting issue and the layout of this site changes.It looks more like another site whose format Im not fond of. I also see that at one time LW was at the top, then it dropped down under natural hair care and now weaves is above it all. Smh 
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 1:30am
Originally posted by dijah.love dijah.love wrote:

can't be hands on online...'

and google is always there

Yep, this is exactly how I have caught people cheating.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 11:05am
brick and mortars have online degrees that are indistinguishable from on campus degrees

no perception issues there
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>