Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spinoff: Ever dated someone who was depressed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>

Author
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:35pm
I was the depressed person in the relationship.

it didn't end well but it wasn't his fault. wasn't his place to "fix me." I had to get better on my own.

he felt like he could help me get better, and he couldn't. he began to feel resentful and eventually, he began to feel like i didn't want to get better and wasn't trying hard enough, which made me feel worse.

we are barely friends now. it's unfortunate, but we have both moved on to better things.

Sponsored Links

missunfoolish View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missunfoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

it didn't end well but it wasn't his fault. wasn't his place to "fix me." I had to get better on my own.

he felt like he could help me get better, and he couldn't. he began to feel resentful and eventually, he began to feel like i didn't want to get better and wasn't trying hard enough, which made me feel worse.

we are barely friends now. it's unfortunate, but we have both moved on to better things.

how are you now?
kinda sounds like me

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

how are you now?
kinda sounds like me

right now, I'm better. it has never really went away though. It probably doesn't help that I don't care to go to therapy b/c of negative experiences with it and finding a good therapist that is also a black woman (important to me) has been difficult.

how are you right now?
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:06pm
lady, where do you live?

also, i just wanna say that even though i looked for black therapists/psychiatrists in my area (there actually aren't any) my most helpful therapists were a white woman and a white man
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

lady, where do you live?

also, i just wanna say that even though i looked for black therapists/psychiatrists in my area (there actually aren't any) my most helpful therapists were a white woman and a white man

i live in MI...there are black therapists in my area but the ones I have been to I did not like at all.

that's really interesting...did you feel uncomfortable at first talking to them?
missunfoolish View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missunfoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:24pm

Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

how are you now?
kinda sounds like me

right now, I'm better. it has never really went away though. It probably doesn't help that I don't care to go to therapy b/c of negative experiences with it and finding a good therapist that is also a black woman (important to me) has been difficult.

how are you right now?

yea same, its ok. its still there but i deal with it
i never been the one to open up to my feelings cause ppl rly dont care
id have better luck talking to a wall but
something that helps me a lil, fortunately is music

hiphop heals my soul mannn. but it can only do so much.
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:25pm
I met them when I was so down and depressed that I didn't care who I talked to. I just needed to blurt it all out and hope someone could save me. So far, to my surprise, the issues I have don't know a color. The only time a racial issue has come up, is when she asked about my hair LOL
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:29pm
Good people are finding help for this...sounds draining.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 12:14am
I've dated emotional men, but I've never dated anyone clinically diagnosed as depressed.
chinadoll77 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinadoll77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 4:07am
Yes,and it wasn't something that I'd do again...He was truly unstable....
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style