Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spike Lee Talks "Django Unchained"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 51>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:03am
as I was watching the movie, the # of times they used the N word didn't really move me but a few minutes ago someone outside was calling for their dog and i legit thought they said, "n****r dck".  i took a break to go have a few pretzels and a dr pepper after that.

when they dropped the rick ross track i was all the way turnt up.  wasn't expecting that.

anyway, i think all of this hoopla was much ado about nothing...after what i've been reading in this thread and all across the internet i was expecting the worst.  i was expecting a movie that didn't do the subject matter justice and a movie that was going for shock value(something may be wrong w/ me because i didn't even feel like the gore was close to a 10 level).

little has been said about what the actual plot of the movie was...all i knew was that Jamie Foxx was killin crackas and they said ngr 110 times.

i didn't feel that this movie trivialized slavery.  Did it enlighten or educate?  it didn't do that for me but that depends on the person.  i am happy that a movie with a different demo is tackling slavery as a subject matter b/c most yts, asians, latinos, etc are not checkin for Amistad or Beloved.  most people have forgotten how bad it was or dont really care and therefore they have no interest in going to see movies like that.  QT got peoples butts in the theater.  any story told about slavery that does not diminish the severity of it is worth being told just to keep the subject relevant.  i didn't see them sugar coating anything...they may have left out things(that were irrelevant to the story), but nothing was minimized.  

am i tired of ytie needing to be the guiding light to salvation in films?  yes but i just couldn't muster the energy to even be that bothered by it b.c the movie was just okay.  i've never been a fan of Jamie Foxx as an actor.  He was efficient.  anyway, i'm sleepy....6.5/10.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Jan 12 2013 at 2:04am
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:13am
Although I didn't see the end, I didn't really care for it. A good portion of it actually felt quite patronizing to me and not the least bit enlightening. Didn't like the white saviour vibe. I'm surprised that the gore didn't affect me all that much, it felt more like a cartoon than actual scenes of violence, except for that dog scene. I really feel it trivializes slavery and I'm glad I didn't pay to see it. Di Caprio stood out, though. He really inhabited his character. Now I gotta get rid of that download cuz windows are opening all up on my screen trying to lure me into PICS chats with pasty white hoes with inflated boobs, lol
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:18am

Hell, this movie was stupid and it irks me to see a stupid movie about slavery. I just don't get it. But then again, I was never a Tarantino fan, so I sort of expected not to like it

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:19am
i just don't really see it as trivializing slavery.  it wasn't a story that was trying to explain slavery or speak with a political agenda.  i feel it's accurate to say that anytime a movie with a historical subject matter is released, more people google the topic and a few ppl may learn something.  

eta:  i agree that it wasn't a good movie...but as a history major i've watched a lot of movies that i didn't feel were good.  it only pissed me off when i was attempting to learn something from it.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Jan 12 2013 at 2:20am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:29am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i just don't really see it as trivializing slavery.  it wasn't a story that was trying to explain slavery or speak with a political agenda.  i feel it's accurate to say that anytime a movie with a historical subject matter is released, more people google the topic and a few ppl may learn something.  

eta:  i agree that it wasn't a good movie...but as a history major i've watched a lot of movies that i didn't feel were good.  it only pissed me off when i was attempting to learn something from it.

I know that Tarantino wasn't trying to make an historically accurate dramatic piece, that's not his genre. I just don't think that his genre is suitable for a topic like this. And I don't think that the average white person is going to come out of that movie wanting to actually know what really happened during slavery, it's not going to turn anyone into a history buff. It's a slapstick, cartoonishly violent movie for people who like slapstick gore. I can just picture people laughing in the theater. I just don't buy that this is sparking great conversations and debates, at least not amonst non black folks. It would be totally abysmal to me if it weren't for Di Caprio's performance (and Samuel Jackson, as revolting as his character was) and I don't even care to see how it ends. Not once did it make me laugh nor did I feel any satisfaction watching the revenge scenarios. It was stupid.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 12 2013 at 2:32am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:35am
i am not saying that this film will switch anyone to an african american studies major or anything but ppl do walk away wanting to know more about what they just watched.  it's a fact of movie watching. the ppl that don't, weren't going to ever do it anyway so nothing is really lost.  i don't feel taken b/c all i wanted to see was a movie involving slavery in a different light.  

how could it have not sparked conversations and debates?...i've been reading/hearing conversations and debates about it everywhere.  

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:42am
I just feeling that moviegoers will be tripping over the ridiculousness of it all, the blood that looks like ketchup and the N word being spit a thousand times. Whatever conversations it is sparking (at least among non black folks), I bet it's not very deep. This is not a movie that makes you think. But that's just my opinion. It accomplishes nothing but give cheap thrills to those who like to see a lot of blood spatter on screen. I hated it, for the most part. But it's just my opinion. Again, I don't like most of what this crackhead puts on celluloid anyway
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 2:48am
Although there was one thing that rang true in the movie and that's Leonardo's soliloque about what his character thought of the mental capacities of black people (the scene with the skull). That was the one scene that I felt was actually powerful, along with that horrible dog mauling scene because it does give you a window into the mindset of these people at that time...
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 4:33pm
the man with the iron fist was actually quite good,

it paid homage to the 1970s kung fu genre

it was very accurate, iono what that guy talmbout that it was bad!!

BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 2:52pm
I've already said my piece about this movie in another thread but I just watched it again (BL). Every black woman in the film was GORGEOUS! Just wanted to point that out lol
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style