Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Spike Lee Talks Django Unchained

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 49>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

lol @blaque. Post it, post it!!!!

Exactly, jones. I just don't appreciate any self righteousness about a movie which is why i was careful not to belittle someone else perspective.

YAY!!! I found it lol. I liked how the white guy flew in and tried to be the hero and voice of reason and his ass was swiftly shut downLOLCryLOLDead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6LfS84RgY

The movie is called Black Snake from 1973...
Sponsored Links

Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:14pm
I honestly don't think QT was lowkey mocking slavery or black people in this movie, not at all. Not based on anything that was actually on screen.

The worst spoken people in this movie were white.

The dumbest depicted people in this movie were white.

The ugliest (physically) people depicted in this movie were white.

The biggest joke scene was at the expense of white people.

There were three really intelligent people depicted, two were white (Waltz character and Leo) and one was black (Samuel L Jackson). In front of people, Sam Jackson's character was submissive, but behind closed doors, he was the brains behind candyland. He gave two speeches (the one to Leo in the library and the one to Foxx in the barn) that showed him in a position of power. Straight up called Leo a friendly fool when he saw those dollar signs.

I think QT was pretty clear that Sam Jackson was ultimately the main villain. The only problem was QT halfway doing it.

I have plenty of faults with my overall enjoyment of the movie but I didn't get the sense of mockery or debasing. It could have been an entire movie about the white man teaching the black man how to be unchained but it really wasn't. Django could already shoot a gun. Django could already read. Django could already ride a horse. Django already understood psychology. Django not feeling like the hero had more to do with Kerry Washington being a weak plot device/motivation.

One could argue that it's the same plot device QT used in Kill Bill. The lead character simply wanted to kill Bill. But there were extended scenes with her and Bill together that really hammered home the motivation. There weren't ANY scenes with Washington and Foxx to make his motivation to find her worthwhile.

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:30pm
OMG that clip gives me LIFE, blaque!!! God is as black as I!!! love it

And A freaking men to RT. Spot on once again
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:32pm
I think I'm going to see this tonight.  I hate going to see movies after I've read so much about them bc it taints my experience but we'll see.  I am not really a Jamie Fox fan which is why it wasnt on my radar as much as it could've been.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Dec 26 2012 at 1:32pm
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Did anyone see Lincoln ? That is up for some Oscars too .
Daniel Day Lewis might win for Best Actor.
Anne Hathaway for Best Actress.
Lincoln or Les Mis for best picture.

This awards season has been so dry.
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:45pm
is there going to be a lot of n-word saying in there?
as someone who really loved Lincoln, should I see it?

will i feel uncomfortable being around a 99% non-black audience watching it?
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:47pm
I heard Lincoln didn't go into the real deal history about the time period, which is why I'm in no hurry to see it. White folks love them some Lincoln. 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I heard Lincoln didn't go into the real deal history about the time period, which is why I'm in no hurry to see it. White folks love them some Lincoln. 

And Obama
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:51pm
i liked lincoln. it wasn't really a "historical" biography though. 
it was great acting and amazing screen writing. it was moving. 

loved it. 
stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 2:10pm
DP

Edited by stardaqueenb23 - Dec 26 2012 at 2:10pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 49>