BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spike Lee Talks "Django Unchained"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 51>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

It ain't my fault this movie was a damn minstrel

Ain't nobody tell Jackson to reprise his role as Uncle Ruckus  #haveaseat
People were crackin' at his lines in the theater but it was just not that funny to me...

At least not until his last 2 or 3 scenes lol

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

alias is low cracking me up..

its like you went to bed a christian and woke up a raging atheist

Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:19am
You act like I rode up to this movie with a stank face lol. Not at all, actually

I "predicted" that the use of humor would be uncomfortable, "disrespectful" even
But QT using humor in general wasn't so bad. It was the way he did it... just overkill (SLJ had too many lines and was trying to hard to be a minstrel)

As you can see from my initial reaction, my feelings were mixed. Mostly positive with a few gripes...

http://forum3.blackhairmedia.com/spike-lee-talks-django-unchained_topic352551_post10025051.html#10025051

THEN I woke up. After having marinated on the resonance of this movie and a much clearer head, Alias got real

Anyhow, doesn't really matter how I went in to the movie. If it was a near perfect movie it could have won, even a person with the most stank attitude, over

But if any of my "gripes" aren't truly valid or logical then please continue...

Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

I'm gonna try not to write a dissertation because the movie simply wasn't deep enough for me to get all emotionally involved and I'm certainly not about to cape for QT. (plus i just woke up and aint had my coffee yet)

However, it seems to me like you went into the theater with a critical eye from the inception, Alias. And I want to preface this by pointing out that I went into it hoping to see the romantic relationship between Django and Kerry's character which I agree, fell completely flat.

I also agree with your assessment that the black characters were one dimensional in contrast to the white characters. But did the context of how/why go completely over your head? 

Damn, here I am typing and can already see I'm about to write more than I want to but I'll be back after I have my coffee.
Over_all View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Over_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:31am
After all this it's starting to get good...
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:36am
Like I said, the movie simply wasn't deep enough for me to get all worked up over. But as I watched, I'll admit that Spike Lee's criticisms were always in the back of my mind therefore I was practically waiting with bated breath to see if his analysis would come into fruition. 

I waited and I waited, there were times when I sat on the edge of my seat in anticipation. But just like the full dynamics and exploration of the love story, it never materialized (in my humble opinion)

Lets discuss the opening scene when Django along with the other 4 slaves were being transported by the vicious overseers to the plantation and in pops the great white bails bondsman who tried to bargain for Django's papers. 

Without telling to much of the movie, when the good white dude gave the gun to one of the slaves and he held it with fear and trepidation clear in his eyes, why, Alias do you think he didn't use that opportunity to kill the good white man, finish off the evil white dude on the horse and run towards freedom? 

That scene was a PERFECT setup for the rest of the movie in that, on a shallow level, depicted the slaves' lack of resources, intimidation of the white man, and overall downtrodden psyche.They didn't kill the white man (at first) because they didn't have any options. 

The option was given to them AFTER the bails bondsman pointed out the way to freedom and told the slaves to unchain themselves, kill off the evil dude and run for their lives. Do you not get that, Alias!

Like I said, that scene was the PERFECT setup for the viewers to grasp the complexities of the slaves distressed mentality. It explained the lack of "fire" and submissiveness that you speak of. 

brb, I have more to say

Edited by noneyons - Dec 26 2012 at 10:37am
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:46am
Good convo on the last couples of pages.

I'm just not interested in seeing this movie, i'll wait for netflix.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:47am
You think that was his intentions with that scene? lol

I'll be honest, I don't know QT well enough to come a conclusion like that but I will say that whatever "setup" he depicted with that scene was torn down by the constant talk of "inherent submissiveness" that prevaded he second half of the film

Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

Lets discuss the opening scene when Django along with the other 4 slaves were being transported by the vicious overseers to the plantation and in pops the great white bails bondsman who tried to bargain for Django's papers. 

Without telling to much of the movie, when the good white dude gave the gun to one of the slaves and he held it with fear and trepidation clear in his eyes, why, Alias do you think he didn't use that opportunity to kill the good white man, finish off the evil white dude on the horse and run towards freedom? 

That scene was a PERFECT setup for the rest of the movie in that, on a shallow level, depicted the slaves' lack of resources, intimidation of the white man, and overall downtrodden psyche.They didn't kill the white man (at first) because they didn't have any options. 

The option was given to them AFTER the bails bondsman pointed out the way to freedom and told the slaves to unchain themselves, kill off the evil dude and run for their lives. Do you not get that, Alias!

Like I said, that scene was the PERFECT setup for the viewers to grasp the complexities of the slaves distressed mentality. It explained the lack of "fire" and submissiveness that you speak of. 

brb, I have more to say

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:52am
And that inherent submissiveness a.k.a the stockholm syndrome thus became null and void by one man fighting to save his woman. Big smile
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:55am
"it was all good just a week ago"
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:56am
Yea, only after the White man taught him he could lol

The White man taught him everything..

The White man taught him shoot a gun
The White man taught him that he can save his wife
The White man taught him how to play the game
The White man taught him how to be a "strong black man" 

Yup, Great movie lol
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:58am
Wait, so this movie is on some avatar bullshyt where the white person is the one who is the initial savior? Surprise surfcking surprise.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 51>
  Share Topic