Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spike Lee Talks "Django Unchained"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 51>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:37am
I've heard a lot of ish including it would be a "coon" move to see the movie in theaters by someone who saw the movie in theaters.

But the mixture of factors in this movie yeah I would expect the interpretations to be wild, that's kinda obvious by the content of the movie.

Edited by jonesable - Dec 26 2012 at 9:37am
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

I saw the movie. I can see why Spike would feel that way. Slavery was not a joke as sometimes portrayed in the movie. Especially scene with Jaime wearing thag damn blue suit. Plus I hatd Samuel Jackson always being the character saying ninja all the time. It was still deceng but Spike for once has a point.
sorry for bad spelling, still trying to figure this s3 out

it was explained to me that this was actually factual

the clothing was to represent what a valet slave would wear

correct me if I am wrong though

Edited by SamoneLenior - Dec 26 2012 at 9:41am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:40am
It ain't my fault this movie was a damn minstrel

Ain't nobody tell Jackson to reprise his role as Uncle Ruckus  #haveaseat
People were crackin' at his lines in the theater but it was just not that funny to me...

At least not until his last 2 or 3 scenes lol

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

alias is low cracking me up..

teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:42am
I can tell this is one of those movies I simply don't wanna watch, even for free. Like The Help or The Blindside...just not interested even if there are funny moments or good acting. I think there haven't been enough acclaimed realistic slavery movies to allow a Django Unchained.
I'm not surprised there was a white hero (according to Alias) in the movie. Tarantino is white after all. For some reason white folk need a white hero. It's fascinating how they can focus on white exceptions but turn around and generalize black people.
I feel like Tarantino should've chosen another controversial subject to make a movie out of...maybe he's running out of ideas.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:42am

I saw it

we got there 30 minutes earlier than it was to start and the line was already wrapped around the theater

mostly black people where at the showing we went to

all in all I did like it

some scenes were over the top and I agree Foxx and Washington could have had stronger roles
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:46am
Quote I don't even think I could like it if I wasn't AA, educated and conscious. It was just so blatantly bad

this right here is irking the hell out of me, Alias. But i'll address it after I'm done catching up.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:48am
Make no mistake that people will LOVE this movie... it will probably be a cult classic even

I just can't...

However, i encourage people to see it for themselves and come to their own conclusions (wait for it to come on tv for free even but see it for yourself)

But something is in the water when a "slave" movie or any movie that is supposedly "anti-White" gets a 8.5 + rating on IMDB

ijs
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:50am
You know....the first time I saw the trailer I though it was tryna be a lowkey comedy.
It was weird.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:59am
@noneyons

I already know what you're gonna say...

this is just a manipulative tactic to use to be dismissive of other's valid opinions.... as if their opinion isn't worthy because their not blah blah etc,

but I don't care. This is my strong opinion... that I disliked this movie because I am either one or all of these things

If I wasn't aware of how White Americans, and by extension Hollywood, operates then I could have possibly easily enjoyed this film, is all i was sayin

@Sang

I would say that nearly half or 3 quarters of this movie was intended to be humorous
But there were scenes that were intended to punch the audience in the gut... i give QT that
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 10:01am
I'm gonna try not to write a dissertation because the movie simply wasn't deep enough for me to get all emotionally involved and I'm certainly not about to cape for QT. (plus i just woke up and aint had my coffee yet)

However, it seems to me like you went into the theater with a critical eye from the inception, Alias. And I want to preface this by pointing out that I went into it hoping to see the romantic relationship between Django and Kerry's character which I agree, fell completely flat.

I also agree with your assessment that the black characters were one dimensional in contrast to the white characters. But did the context of how/why go completely over your head? 

Damn, here I am typing and can already see I'm about to write more than I want to but I'll be back after I have my coffee.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 51>