Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Spike Lee Talks Django Unchained

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 49>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 12:14am
Is this movie the reason why BET has been running Roots the past few days?
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 12:31am
u know maybe i won't see it... i rather see the Tyler Perry movie...QT does go overboard with the violence...it's why I never saw Kill Bill
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 12:43am
I just realized that the KKK didn't even exist back in the slave era of 1835 Ermm
kkscottdale View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kkscottdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Okay, I’m back

Here are my thoughts…

If I was a huge Quentin Tarintino fan and if I wasn’t educated, a conscious thinker and Black (or White), I probably would have loved this film… probably would have even called it a “masterpiece”

The gun slinging, horse-ridding, cracka killing, slave revenge fantasy was in full effect! Equipped with your typical Tarintino style Western backdrop juxtaposed to slave-era take on a blackploitation plot.

The acting was quality and so was the plot but I most definitely have gripes with a few things…

One being… it’s yet another White Hero movie. Ugh!!!

White Americans cannot, for the life of themselves, create a freaking movie on the evils of  slavery, Jim Crow, the Civil Rights movement without freaking sticking a damn White Hero in as the main damn character. Make no mistake, he was the MAIN CHARACTER! Jamie Foxx serves only as the secondary main character (if there is such thing, I think QT might have created this new role with this movie)

Two… why are all the most likeable characters (as in funny/well-acted/most interesting) white????  Sigh.

From the bounty hunter, plantation owners, and plantation owner’s wife to the damn KKK (it’s hard to hate a character/villain that you laugh at, right?)

Jamie Foxx had the most redeemable Black character. Every other Black character was humiliating with no agency/purpose/dept to justify the rancid humiliation. All of them seemed soulless, submissive, down-right undignified individuals who had little to no emotions (easier to hate in comparison to the grotesquely goofy and ungroomed White idiots). One could make the argument that that’s how Blacks seemed back in those days and my point is that that’s why this movie was typical. Show me a movie on slavery that humanizes these dehumanized souls in the way they deserved. I’d take that any day over a White hero that gives a Black man a gun to kill other Whities.

Why was the worst villain of all, in this movie, Samuel L Jackson’s Uncle Ruckus-in-flesh, minstrel show character? Why was his character so extra???? I mean, it was too much. Just way too cartoonish, felt fake. I feel like he had more lines than Django himself

Even worst, the most obvious underlying tone of this movie (which I predicted) was the “why didn’t them slaves just up and kill YT? Cuz they stoopid submissive Brothas! That’s why!” message.  

It’s as if Quentin was saying with this film “Well, if I was a slave I would have done THIS” which is such a pompous and arrogant way to approach this complicated history

I just finished watching the movie and the bolded is what I thought too. It was like an underlying lesson to black people that I know most of the white people in the movie theater agreed with.

foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:20am
Interesting take Alias.
kkscottdale View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kkscottdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:31am
Here are my thoughts after finishing the movie.

I loved Kill Bill, therefore, I didn't mind QT's use of senseless gore.

What I did mind was the constant use of ni99a. Sometimes, it just wasn't needed. I cringed more when Jaime did it to be honest. However, it could be argued that the constant use of the word is to make the movie more realistic *shrug*

Leonardo did an excellent job at his role and I can understand why he may get many nominations because he did well, even when he didn't use the word *ni99a*.

Samuel L. Jackson as the slavemaster's Uncle Tom was soooo annoying!  Sometimes, he wasn't even funny.
I think white people in the audience just loved to laugh at the mere sound of "ni99a" because not everything was funny.

This movie made me more aware(although I already was) of how blacks were so close to whites, hating them but still wanting to be more like them at the same time. Their entire self-worth was tied into how whites viewed them.

Movies like this does make light of slavery but no body wants to watch Goodbye Uncle Tom. That's too raw for America.

honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:31am

Okay, I’m back

Here are my thoughts…

If I was a huge Quentin Tarintino fan and if I wasn’t educated, a conscious thinker and Black (or White), I probably would have loved this film… probably would have even called it a “masterpiece”

The gun slinging, horse-ridding, cracka killing, slave revenge fantasy was in full effect! Equipped with your typical Tarintino style Western backdrop juxtaposed to slave-era take on a blackploitation plot.

The acting was quality and so was the plot but I most definitely have gripes with a few things…

One being… it’s yet another White Hero movie. Ugh!!!

White Americans cannot, for the life of themselves, create a freaking movie on the evils of  slavery, Jim Crow, the Civil Rights movement without freaking sticking a damn White Hero in as the main damn character. Make no mistake, he was the MAIN CHARACTER! Jamie Foxx serves only as the secondary main character (if there is such thing, I think QT might have created this new role with this movie)

Two… why are all the most likeable characters (as in funny/well-acted/most interesting) white????  Sigh.

From the bounty hunter, plantation owners, and plantation owner’s wife to the damn KKK (it’s hard to hate a character/villain that you laugh at, right?)

Jamie Foxx had the most redeemable Black character. Every other Black character was humiliating with no agency/purpose/dept to justify the rancid humiliation. All of them seemed soulless, submissive, down-right undignified individuals who had little to no emotions (easier to hate in comparison to the grotesquely goofy and ungroomed White idiots). One could make the argument that that’s how Blacks seemed back in those days and my point is that that’s why this movie was typical. Show me a movie on slavery that humanizes these dehumanized souls in the way they deserved. I’d take that any day over a White hero that gives a Black man a gun to kill other Whities.

Why was the worst villain of all, in this movie, Samuel L Jackson’s Uncle Ruckus-in-flesh, minstrel show character? Why was his character so extra???? I mean, it was too much. Just way too cartoonish, felt fake. I feel like he had more lines than Django himself

Even worst, the most obvious underlying tone of this movie (which I predicted) was the “why didn’t them slaves just up and kill YT? Cuz they stoopid submissive Brothas! That’s why!” message.  

It’s as if Quentin was saying with this film “Well, if I was a slave I would have done THIS” which is such a pompous and arrogant way to approach this complicated history

Despite me agreeing 100% with everything you said (minus describing people who liked this movie as non educated), I let it slide for the sake of the sheer ambiance and entertainment. I like movies that are controversial and able to ruffle people's feathers *shrugs*

Sam's character was pretty over the top. Yes, the premise is .....yet again..... the white guy responsible for taking a black guy under his wing to help him get revenge on his oppressors.

POSSIBLE SPOILER

The part with DiCaprio's character describing blacks as being submissive by nature based on the dents in their skull was cringe worthy. I have never heard any sh*t like that in my life. I thought it was yet another explanation for white people to use as a justification as to how they are superior over us.

Le sigh...

honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:34am

I just realized that the KKK didn't even exist back in the slave era of 1835 Ermm

That was a huge anachronism.

honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:36am
Originally posted by kkscottdale kkscottdale wrote:

Movies like this does make light of slavery but no body wants to watch Goodbye Uncle Tom. That's too raw for America.

They not ready for that. There is no white hero or fancy cinematography to draw people in.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:39am

The movie takes place in 1858. About 10 years give or take from the rise of the first klan in the south. It's not unfathomable that the midnight rides were taking place before then.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 49>
  Share Topic